[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

dantoni new coach of Lakers
Author Thread
nixluva
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #758
USA
11/13/2012  1:11 AM
CrushAlot wrote:Interesting. Pop won championships before changing his offensive style and has won with a variety of players. His teams are also always very good defensively. A coach has to communicate, adapt and teach the players he has. He also might go with the best style of play to make them successful as Pop has. D'Ant's problem is communication issues and rigidity to a style of play despite personnel in my opinion.

Pop changed and in truth so has MDA. You just chose not to accept the fact that we NEVER ran SSOL in NY. We couldn't. Perhaps you can't remember, but who exactly did we have that could execute SSOL? MDA had to try and figure out some way to get around only having TD and Bibby to run the point and he tried to have Melo run the offense a little more. You think that was a bad idea, but i'm sure that Kobe wouldn't have acted like a b**ch if he was asked to do that. Pop having Duncan and Robinson is not a small matter. Then when you add in the other really good players the Spurs have had and the stability of the franchise it's a much better situation than MDA inherited in NY. You really want to compare Pop's situation to MDA's?

You've never been to a D'Antoni training camp, practice or locker room, how the hell do you know how he teaches or communicates? I'll tell you what. He must be saying something cuz every Olympian LOVES the guy. You don't know ish about how MDA deals with his players and need to stop talking like you do. The truth is that MOST of the players he's coached have had positive things to say. The small amount of negative things have come mostly from players that have their own issues.

AUTOADVERT
nixluva
USA
11/13/2012  1:17 AM
DJMUSIC wrote:I think fail all the way but often its said DJ is wrong,

So I'll take high road and if MDA cannot win at least NBA West conference title with this squad (healthy later) then its a fail.
This take into account with a good but weaker OKC team without J.Harden

If MDA cannot win west and/or NBA West title then what good is he ?
clock ticking on both coach MDA and Kobe whom says he's gone after next yr

Interesting.. very intriquing to see what happens
Good luck MDA !
bring along Dan D'antoni and rest of those cronies. Still got to chance your concepts on today's players and give few respect they deserve
not just your favorites Mike!

Man what the hell are you talking about. MDA's system IS THE NEW NBA! He's the one that changed the way teams were thinking about how they played. He's not behind the times and his system isn't some old and out of date concept. You do realize that the Spurs, Heat and Knicks use his concepts don't you? Once he starts coaching the Lakers that will be 4 top teams that will be using some aspects of his style of ball. Orlando was using his stuff when Dwight was still there. It's not some insignificant thing.

CashMoney
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #3374
USA
11/13/2012  5:22 AM
MDA is a good coach. I don't think anyone here expected the Knicks to do any winning during MDA's first 2 seasons here as we were clearing cap space for the summer of Lebron. He had us playing .500 ball when the Melo trade went down but last year was an absolute train wreck and his time ran out. I think he'll do well in LA with Nash running the show.
Blue & Orange 4 Life!
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
11/13/2012  7:55 AM
pop has 4 rings. its clear he is a great coach.

MDA is not at that level. What else is new?

Yes, MDA did not have a good season until Nash came aboard. But he was not an MVP was he? Think Cube unerestimated Nash or MDA made him the focal point of his offense and he grew from that.

Chicken or the Egg. take your pick.

Point? Do great players make the coach or coach make the players.

My example was non of those guys reached the levels without their coach.

GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

11/13/2012  9:27 AM
Haven't read through the comments yet, but its clear that watching Steve Nash crash and burn in an offense he wasn't used to put the fear of God in the Lakers. This is Nash's team now as far as the offense is concerned. Didn't like the way they handled the signing but I see some logic in the move, they want to hit the ground running when Nash gets back.

D'Antoni has a future HOFer at almost every position. MDA has his Ferrari offense now and some good to great individual as well as team defenders. In the end I don't believe it will come down to what kind of system he puts in place. Its about being able to assert himself, knowing when to call time outs, making adjustments on the fly, and managing superstars.

babyKnicks
Member: #1191
USA
11/13/2012  9:34 AM
I personally think dantoni is going to do awesome with the lakers, but they won't win a title this year, they won't get to the finals. I think Howard, believe it or not, is the weak link.

They don't have very strong 3 point shooting, and their bench is really thin.

Let's go Knicks. That's amare
NUPE
Member: #4205

11/13/2012  9:40 AM
babyKnicks wrote:I personally think dantoni is going to do awesome with the lakers, but they won't win a title this year, they won't get to the finals. I think Howard, believe it or not, is the weak link.

How many teams have fired a coach during the season and went to the finals and/or won the finals? I have no idea. Laker's lack depth but depth is overrated. What would concern me more if Dwight's back, lack of 3 point shooting, Dantoni generally not using post play and the age of the Laker's coupled with a run / gun offense.

babyKnicks
Member: #1191
USA
11/13/2012  9:42 AM    LAST EDITED: 11/13/2012  9:43 AM
NUPE wrote:
babyKnicks wrote:I personally think dantoni is going to do awesome with the lakers, but they won't win a title this year, they won't get to the finals. I think Howard, believe it or not, is the weak link.

How many teams have fired a coach during the season and went to the finals and/or won the finals? I have no idea. Laker's lack depth but depth is overrated. What would concern me more if Dwight's back, lack of 3 point shooting, Dantoni generally not using post play and the age of the Laker's coupled with a run / gun offense.

I think the run and gun is what will require the depth, not so much during a game (dantoni uses a very small bench) but through a long season.

Gasol is going to flourish, IF he doesn't have to shoot 3's.

It's going to be fun to watch.

San Antonio knows dantoni well. OKC loves to run and plays defense...clippers v lakers will be highlight reel basketball.

Let's go Knicks. That's amare
smackeddog
Member: #883
11/13/2012  10:32 AM
Phil Jackson's annoyed at the way the Lakers used him. From what I've read, it seems like they never wanted him back (makes sense as they spent last offseason removing every trace of him), they probably were only using the rumours of him to get D'Antoni to agree to a lower salary than he may otherwise have asked for- D'Antoni was probably the main target all along.

I know the Lakers have had a great deal of success up to now, but with the owner handing the reigns to that team over to his baffoon son, I really think we have a new Dolan situation in the making...

NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
11/13/2012  10:43 AM
One man in that Laker roster that is really pissed right now is Jordan Hill. The bad rookie
DJMUSIC
Member: #1283

11/13/2012  11:41 PM
nixluva wrote:
DJMUSIC wrote:I think fail all the way but often its said DJ is wrong,

So I'll take high road and if MDA cannot win at least NBA West conference title with this squad (healthy later) then its a fail.
This take into account with a good but weaker OKC team without J.Harden

If MDA cannot win west and/or NBA West title then what good is he ?
clock ticking on both coach MDA and Kobe whom says he's gone after next yr

Interesting.. very intriquing to see what happens
Good luck MDA !
bring along Dan D'antoni and rest of those cronies. Still got to chance your concepts on today's players and give few respect they deserve
not just your favorites Mike!

Man what the hell are you talking about. MDA's system IS THE NEW NBA! He's the one that changed the way teams were thinking about how they played. He's not behind the times and his system isn't some old and out of date concept. You do realize that the Spurs, Heat and Knicks use his concepts don't you? Once he starts coaching the Lakers that will be 4 top teams that will be using some aspects of his style of ball. Orlando was using his stuff when Dwight was still there. It's not some insignificant thing.

you know brother *smiles
we can agree to disagree and even agree once in awhile (aka Obama)

I'm actually getting to liking you/your posts

*carry onward

Knicks #1, Go-NY

Turntable Musiclover & Mix-Master-ologist
knicks1248
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #582
11/14/2012  12:04 AM
babyKnicks wrote:
NUPE wrote:

I think the run and gun is what will require the depth, not so much during a game (dantoni uses a very small bench) but through a long season.

San Antonio knows dantoni well. OKC loves to run and plays defense...clippers v lakers will be highlight reel basketball.

When did not having shooters ever stop a MDA team from bombing away

ES
nixluva
USA
11/14/2012  12:21 AM
knicks1248 wrote:
babyKnicks wrote:
NUPE wrote:

When did not having shooters ever stop a MDA team from bombing away

What MDA did was free teams up to not feel bad about taking a lot of 3's. If you actually practice playing a spread offense and taking open 3's you will get better even if you aren't the best at it. Teams have learned that pro players are much more capable of making open 3's and so you have to execute your offense and only take GOOD 3pt shots. The Knicks STILL take a lot of 3's and why not if you have threats at the basket that suck the defense in then you have guys taking balanced and wide open 3's which they should be able to make.

I think MDA will make some concessions for the roster he has on the Lakers. Still bigs need space to operate inside and so you have to expect that spacing will be very important. MDA believes in Ball and Player movement which works with any kind of roster. MDA is smart enough to figure out how to use the guys he has on the Lakers. I think they'll just become a more efficient offensive team than they are presently.

grillco
Member: #3202

11/14/2012  11:24 AM
JamesKPolk wrote:I'm happy for Pringles.

Of course I hope he fails miserably because I hate the Lakers but I am happy for him.

This really says it all for me. I liked Mike and think he was put in an unenviable position in NY and then left unceremoniously. But I can't abide by the Lakers winning another chip...'cept maybe against the Heat. Realistically I'd want the arena to collapse on Kobe and LeBron (only) in a game seven with the score tied and for there to be no official winner in that scenario...which is, of course, completely reasonable.

grillco
Member: #3202

11/14/2012  11:37 AM
Nalod wrote:pop has 4 rings. its clear he is a great coach.

MDA is not at that level. What else is new?

Yes, MDA did not have a good season until Nash came aboard. But he was not an MVP was he? Think Cube unerestimated Nash or MDA made him the focal point of his offense and he grew from that.

Chicken or the Egg. take your pick.

Point? Do great players make the coach or coach make the players.

My example was non of those guys reached the levels without their coach.

One of thebest examples of this is MJ in Chitown. Obviously an amazing player, but he didn't achieve the height of his greatness until he starting playing for Phil and Tex (whom can NOT be overestimated in that equation). What's more it was a perfect storm that also added Pippen to the mix. Pippen and Jordan made each other (and the team) far better than either was alone. Add the coach and triangle and all the pieces just fell together perfectly...without player collusion!

GodSaveTheKnicks
Alba Posts: 21
Member: #1207
USA
11/14/2012  2:01 PM
jrodmc wrote:
GodSaveTheKnicks wrote:I'm rooting for Pringles cuz I like him as a coach but I don't see how this doesn't end ugly unless they trade Dwight for Ryan Anderson and play Pau at center. Get some other shooters in there too. Outside of Nash there are zero guys on the Lakers who have people scared when they catch the ball wide open downtown

This made me laugh. Not sure why, it just sounds funny.

Going to love to see Nash running after our trio of PG's. Too lazy to look it up, but I wonder if Felton's ever scored 40 in a game?

Firing Mike Brown after 5 games was crazy to me. So far I can't tell whether people on this board think the Lakers roster is a good fit for MDA or not.

Is this roster even a good fit for the Princeton offense?

If y'all were coaches what kind of offense would you run?

My solution: F it. Let the players coach themselves. Nash knows how to run an offense. Kobe is a pretty smart player when he's not forcing the action, which he does more when he passes to guys who keep missing wide open shots or no1 else is making anything happen. If Kobe hogs the ball and chucks up fadeaways with Pau, Dwight and Nash then everyone should be forced to take back every time they described him as a smart player.

Pau is a smart player, talented passer.

Who wouldn't want to watch this???

Let's try to elevate the level of discourse in this byeetch. Please
nixluva
USA
11/14/2012  2:49 PM
GodSaveTheKnicks wrote:
jrodmc wrote:
GodSaveTheKnicks wrote:I'm rooting for Pringles cuz I like him as a coach but I don't see how this doesn't end ugly unless they trade Dwight for Ryan Anderson and play Pau at center. Get some other shooters in there too. Outside of Nash there are zero guys on the Lakers who have people scared when they catch the ball wide open downtown

This made me laugh. Not sure why, it just sounds funny.

Going to love to see Nash running after our trio of PG's. Too lazy to look it up, but I wonder if Felton's ever scored 40 in a game?

Firing Mike Brown after 5 games was crazy to me. So far I can't tell whether people on this board think the Lakers roster is a good fit for MDA or not.

Is this roster even a good fit for the Princeton offense?

If y'all were coaches what kind of offense would you run?

My solution: F it. Let the players coach themselves. Nash knows how to run an offense. Kobe is a pretty smart player when he's not forcing the action, which he does more when he passes to guys who keep missing wide open shots or no1 else is making anything happen. If Kobe hogs the ball and chucks up fadeaways with Pau, Dwight and Nash then everyone should be forced to take back every time they described him as a smart player.

Pau is a smart player, talented passer.

Who wouldn't want to watch this???

It's been overstated that somehow MDA can't coach teams that don't have a specific make up. This is the same guy that created the offense for the Olympic Team. He knows more than just PnR and 3's. I think with the Lakers roster he'll figure out how to use the talents of the guys they have and that will have to be a mix of things that fit what these guys can do.

The Lakers do have a significant amount of talent. From what i've seen it's not a very deep team but deep enough given the front line players they do have. It's a better defensive team than some think. Once they get an offensive flow that maximizes the talents they have it's gonna be a very tough team to deal with. I think MDA is just what they need. Along with a healthy Nash.

Nalod
USA
11/16/2012  12:28 AM
MDA quote at intro today: "I tried coaching without Nash and it did not work out too well".........

funny guy! Love to meet him in the finals!

IrishKnickFan
Member: #4171

11/16/2012  12:30 AM
Nalod wrote:MDA quote at intro today: "I tried coaching without Nash and it did not work out too well".........

i doubt he will make it to teh finals
Nalod
USA
11/16/2012  12:35 AM
IrishKnickFan wrote:
Nalod wrote:MDA quote at intro today: "I tried coaching without Nash and it did not work out too well".........

i doubt he will make it to teh finals

Ok. Its still a great line from him. I doubt he does also. IN fact, its statistically in your favor he does not.

I also doubt the knicks do either, but I can hope we do right?

dantoni new coach of Lakers

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy