Anji
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #1122
USA
11/12/2012  7:57 PM    LAST EDITED: 11/12/2012  8:12 PM
dk7th wrote:
tkf wrote:
dk7th wrote:
tkf wrote:I am just curious, where is there such a need here to see dantoni fail? I don't get it.. really I don't...

obviously people desperate to see the carmelo trade validated have to crap on walsh, d'antoni, gallinari, chandler, mozgov, fields, stoudemire, and douglas.

so you root for them to fail to boost carmelo's value since carmelo's value is an issue in everyone's eyes. everyone's.

yea pretty much figured that.. just had to ask... I mean if you have to root for others to fail in order to validate moves you agree with, isn't that a "fail' in itself?

it's a lack of confidence on their part combined with an inferiority complex. if he was all that and had actually a genuine track record of success there would be no issue. if he actually had demonstrated that he knows how to play ball the right way i would have been okay with a trade. but since he has not shown that he knows how to play the right way, free agency was the only logical route to take with this sort of player, especially since he did not fit in with the blueprint that walsh had laid down, and after all that cash was committed to amare. i would have been okay with free agency but apparently dolan and melo had entirely different ideas on how to build a winner... or maybe neither had any idea at all how to build a winner and both just like money and power above all else.

i mean look at the track record here: dolan now has two isaiah thomas co-alums slash cronies as gm and coach, and he forced this coach to change representation as a condition for employment. it's sickening. meanwhile melo, after forcing his way here and decimating the squad that walsh was patiently building, refused to be the good soldier and do the best he could to work with the coach even under challenging circumstances, forcing the coach's hand by basically not giving 100% effort. when it comes to melo's 20 million and d'antoni's several million i wonder who is going to win that battle? and the lin fiasco? just another straw on the camel's back for both dolan and melo.

ahh life

Look at these buffoons acting like if they bounce their twisted views off of each other they somehow become true.

Even though you guys boil everything down to Melo, I know that there are many fans that thought Mark Jackson was a better hire than MDA. 1 of many reasons why there happen to quite a few of knick fans that were never MDA fans............but threw all your Melohate Jerking off on each other, do even remember that melo has only been here for a year and a half, while MDA was here for 4 years???

Yes before we even traded for Melo, people didn't like SSOL to prop up the trade.

Ahh what a load.

"Really, all Americans want is a cold beer, warm p***y, and some place to s**t with a door on it." - Mr. Ford
AUTOADVERT
Swishfm3
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #392
11/12/2012  8:10 PM
tkf wrote:I am just curious, where is there such a need here to see dantoni fail? I don't get it.. really I don't...

I think you read too much into things. No one on this thread as said that they want him to fail. Some just feel that this may not be the best fit. Me bring one of them.

MDA is a horrible coach..thats my opinion. He hasn't had any success in the league WITHOUT Nash...with that being said, I do believe that he got a bum deal in NY. Walsh set him up for failure from the beginning but, again, he is a Coach....Adapt and overcome.

At the end of the day...I could care less what the Lakers do. The only people who are going to pay attention to this are the Melo haters that feel he ran MDA out of town.

Mray20
Member: #3138

11/12/2012  8:32 PM
Dantoni is not a great coach, I saw him outcoached many times during his Knick run, he does not make adjustments and is stubborn, He had an all star team in Phoenix and the perfect point guard to run his "system" , in NY he was exposed his teams never overachieved and a great coach will get the most out of the talent he has.
No layups!
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
11/12/2012  8:34 PM
MDA is a horrible coach..thats my opinion. He hasn't had any success in the league WITHOUT Nash

For most successful coaches, you could make the same kind of comment. (The coach hasn't had said without player X.) How many unique, independent sets of elite teams do you expect MDA to have coached? It's only guys who have been around for a couple of decades that have led independent sets of elite teams.
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
11/12/2012  8:56 PM
Bonn1997 wrote:
MDA is a horrible coach..thats my opinion. He hasn't had any success in the league WITHOUT Nash

For most successful coaches, you could make the same kind of comment. (The coach hasn't had said without player X.) How many unique, independent sets of elite teams do you expect MDA to have coached? It's only guys who have been around for a couple of decades that have led independent sets of elite teams.
Here is the thing with D'Antoni. He has a farely lengthy resume in the nba. He has coached in over 700 games. There is a dramatic difference in what he did with Nash and what he accomplished without him. With Nash D'Ant's record was 232-96. Its hard to imagine that the guy who was in NY the past 4 years put together a run like that. Without Nash his record is 156-243. My guess is Nash has a nub where his broken left leg used to be by the playoffs.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
11/12/2012  9:09 PM
CrushAlot wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:

Here is the thing with D'Antoni. He has a farely lengthy resume in the nba. He has coached in over 700 games. There is a dramatic difference in what he did with Nash and what he accomplished without him. With Nash D'Ant's record was 232-96. Its hard to imagine that the guy who was in NY the past 4 years put together a run like that. Without Nash his record is 156-243. My guess is Nash has a nub where his broken left leg used to be by the playoffs.

He's coached 8 full seasons, and it's a bit harsh to even count the seasons when you're coaching a Dolan team. I can't think of any guy who's coached 8 seasons (4 non-Dolan seasons) and led independent sets of elite teams.
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
11/12/2012  9:12 PM
Nash was never an MVP before he played for MDA.

Jordan never won a title before he got with Jax. Jordan never won witout him.

Same for Kobe.

Who needs who?

FoeDiddy
Member: #2350

11/12/2012  9:38 PM
Nalod wrote:Nash was never an MVP before he played for MDA.

Same for Kobe.

Who needs who?

Nash was still a allstar and playing at a high level without MDA though. Team even had a good run with Gentry as coach with Nash playing.

With Jordan I think it was a collective effort of having Jax as coach and finally having a sidekick in Pippen. Early Jordan years he really did have minimal help.

Definitely you give MDA's system some credit for increasing Nash stats but I think his system needs a very rare form PG. I think honestly only Paul and Nash could run his system effectively. I can't sit her and say when Nash goes in a circle 3 times under neath baseline and finds a nice assist that's MDA calling that play. Lots of Nash's success in the system looked very ad-libbed kind of like the Lin Run.

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
11/12/2012  10:22 PM
FoeDiddy wrote:

Same for Kobe.

Who needs who?

Nash was still a allstar and playing at a high level without MDA though. Team even had a good run with Gentry as coach with Nash playing.

With Jordan I think it was a collective effort of having Jax as coach and finally having a sidekick in Pippen. Early Jordan years he really did have minimal help.

Definitely you give MDA's system some credit for increasing Nash stats but I think his system needs a very rare form PG. I think honestly only Paul and Nash could run his system effectively. I can't sit her and say when Nash goes in a circle 3 times under neath baseline and finds a nice assist that's MDA calling that play. Lots of Nash's success in the system looked very ad-libbed kind of like the Lin Run.

Facts are as they stand.

Swishfm3
11/12/2012  10:29 PM
Bonn1997 wrote:

You are absolutely right but not many Coaches are deemed an "Offensive Genius" like MDA. Why would he need an elite team when he is considered an elite coach? Shouldn't Elite Coaches MAKE elite teams?

JamesKPolk
Member: #4093

11/12/2012  10:37 PM
holfresh wrote:
fishmike wrote:
dk7th wrote:i like the karmic implications of this hire. d'antoni really was a good soldier and professional while here and essentially got shafted (along with walsh) by dolan.

regardless of how you feel about his coaching, he never had the type of squad that was reflective of his ethos in new york. now in los angeles he finally does.

this.. I love how the dude made Chris Duhon look like a stud and people cried because the Knicks didnt defend. Highlarious. People will quickly see the problem was never MDA, it was the Knicks and their players. Of course they were playing pretty well until a certain trade happened, but water under the bridge. After the donkees we had here MDA was refreshing and he will do a great job with the Lakers.

You are delusional..The Knicks are 22-6 since he left with essentially the same squad...We are ranked first in defense and now considered one of the better teams in the NBA..What am I missing???..

There's 5 players left from last year. It's not "essentially the same squad".

"Peace, plenty, and contentment reign throughout our borders, and our beloved country presents a sublime moral spectacle to the world." - James K Polk
CrushAlot
USA
11/12/2012  10:38 PM
JamesKPolk wrote:
holfresh wrote:
fishmike wrote:
dk7th wrote:i like the karmic implications of this hire. d'antoni really was a good soldier and professional while here and essentially got shafted (along with walsh) by dolan.

regardless of how you feel about his coaching, he never had the type of squad that was reflective of his ethos in new york. now in los angeles he finally does.

this.. I love how the dude made Chris Duhon look like a stud and people cried because the Knicks didnt defend. Highlarious. People will quickly see the problem was never MDA, it was the Knicks and their players. Of course they were playing pretty well until a certain trade happened, but water under the bridge. After the donkees we had here MDA was refreshing and he will do a great job with the Lakers.

You are delusional..The Knicks are 22-6 since he left with essentially the same squad...We are ranked first in defense and now considered one of the better teams in the NBA..What am I missing???..

They were 18-6 with the same squad. The guy was a disaster here.
Swishfm3
11/12/2012  10:42 PM

Same for Kobe.

Who needs who?

MDA went 21-40 his first year in PHX....without Nash.

JamesKPolk

11/12/2012  11:02 PM
CrushAlot wrote:
JamesKPolk wrote:
holfresh wrote:
fishmike wrote:

That's because the team was not built to his coaching style. He's a good coach, just was never the right fit for this team.

Also, I don't put much weight into the record from last season. That was mainly fueled by Melo playing PF after the Stoudemire injury and by the basic way every team responds to a coaching change.

"Peace, plenty, and contentment reign throughout our borders, and our beloved country presents a sublime moral spectacle to the world." - James K Polk
CrushAlot
USA
11/12/2012  11:04 PM
JamesKPolk wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
JamesKPolk wrote:
holfresh wrote:
fishmike wrote:

That's because the team was not built to his coaching style. He's a good coach, just was never the right fit for this team.

Also, I don't put much weight into the record from last season. That was mainly fueled by Melo playing PF after the Stoudemire injury and by the basic way every team responds to a coaching change.

Yeah their still responding. Check back to see how D'Antoni's knick teams responded to his training camps.
nixluva
Member: #758
USA
11/12/2012  11:15 PM
Here we go again with the BS! Nash has played well after MDA left, but he did that playing the same system MDA had taught him and Gentry to run. It's not like Nash just abandoned everything MDA taught him. The Nash we know as the 2x MVP was with MDA's help. The reason MDA is back coaching is cuz there are people that KNOW BASKETBALL that realize he's a very good coach. Only the fans that think they know BB seem to think that MDA isn't a good coach.

As for MDA's time in NY, that is really funny how NY fans bash him for not being successful here knowing full well how crazy things were here. The time here was hardly an environment conducive to success. All the bad players and constant change and yet they want to harp on it like he had a dream team and failed to get them to play well. When things go bad in NY it's hard to not get burned out. If they had brought MDA in under better circumstances than throwing away 2 full seasons before even fielding a decent team, then changing the team again, maybe things would be different.

There's a reason that many coaches respect MDA as a coach and have used some of his offensive concepts. If it was as simple as just running PnR as so many in the media seem to think then it wouldn't have caused such a huge impact in the league when the league was still low scoring and boring. Now teams that don't have size use MDA's concepts even if they don't call it SSOL. This is a man that actually had an effect on the NBA as a whole. Some people called it a gimmick and yet there are teams still running his stuff right now, including the Spurs. If it's good enough for Popovich and Coach K, then I think it's more than a gimmick.

JamesKPolk

11/12/2012  11:30 PM    LAST EDITED: 11/12/2012  11:32 PM
CrushAlot wrote:
JamesKPolk wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
JamesKPolk wrote:
holfresh wrote:
fishmike wrote:

Yeah their still responding. Check back to see how D'Antoni's knick teams responded to his training camps.

He only had one real training camp and that was when Amare first signed. They seemed to do quite well, didn't they? Are we counting the 2 rebuilding years where the team was awful? After the Melo trade he never got any training camp. His losses stemmed from the still-unproven duo of Carmelo and Amare playing at the same time. I seem to recall the Knicks playing better when one isn't playing at the same time as the other. Carmelo and Amare haven't played much under Woodson to disprove that notion. Also, Woodson admittedly is still using a good portion of Mike D'Antoni's offense.

I don't like D'Antoni's coaching style but there's no need to obscure facts for your own twisted argument. The man tried his best here. He was given a different roster every year and did the best he could with a mismatched roster. The pieces didn't fit his system. He doesn't have the same system Woodson does. Woodson wasn't doing anything other-wordly last year. This year is the first year where the Knicks have actually been impressive for the first time in 13 years. So let's stop ignoring the truth so we can drag a good guy's name through the mud. D'Antoni is no Isiah and quite frankly I laugh when people like holfresh - who frequently apologizes for disgraceful members of the organization like Marbury, Isiah and Dolan - would sit here and ridicule D'Antoni of all people.

Mike D'Antoni got hired by the Lakers for a reason and it's not because he's an awful coach.

CrushAlot
USA
11/12/2012  11:33 PM
nixluva wrote:Here we go again with the BS! Nash has played well after MDA left, but he did that playing the same system MDA had taught him and Gentry to run. It's not like Nash just abandoned everything MDA taught him. The Nash we know as the 2x MVP was with MDA's help. The reason MDA is back coaching is cuz there are people that KNOW BASKETBALL that realize he's a very good coach. Only the fans that think they know BB seem to think that MDA isn't a good coach.

As for MDA's time in NY, that is really funny how NY fans bash him for not being successful here knowing full well how crazy things were here. The time here was hardly an environment conducive to success. All the bad players and constant change and yet they want to harp on it like he had a dream team and failed to get them to play well. When things go bad in NY it's hard to not get burned out. If they had brought MDA in under better circumstances than throwing away 2 full seasons before even fielding a decent team, then changing the team again, maybe things would be different.

There's a reason that many coaches respect MDA as a coach and have used some of his offensive concepts. If it was as simple as just running PnR as so many in the media seem to think then it wouldn't have caused such a huge impact in the league when the league was still low scoring and boring. Now teams that don't have size use MDA's concepts even if they don't call it SSOL. This is a man that actually had an effect on the NBA as a whole. Some people called it a gimmick and yet there are teams still running his stuff right now, including the Spurs. If it's good enough for Popovich and Coach K, then I think it's more than a gimmick.

Interesting. Pop won championships before changing his offensive style and has won with a variety of players. His teams are also always very good defensively. A coach has to communicate, adapt and teach the players he has. He also might go with the best style of play to make them successful as Pop has. D'Ant's problem is communication issues and rigidity to a style of play despite personnel in my opinion.
NUPE
Member: #4205

11/12/2012  11:42 PM
Dantoni clearly does not emphasize defense. That is my only issue with him and why I think he wont solve the Laker's problems.
DJMUSIC
Member: #1283

11/13/2012  1:00 AM
I think fail all the way but often its said DJ is wrong,

So I'll take high road and if MDA cannot win at least NBA West conference title with this squad (healthy later) then its a fail.
This take into account with a good but weaker OKC team without J.Harden

If MDA cannot win west and/or NBA West title then what good is he ?
clock ticking on both coach MDA and Kobe whom says he's gone after next yr

Interesting.. very intriquing to see what happens
Good luck MDA !
bring along Dan D'antoni and rest of those cronies. Still got to chance your concepts on today's players and give few respect they deserve
not just your favorites Mike!

Turntable Musiclover & Mix-Master-ologist
dantoni new coach of Lakers

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy