[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

The Case for Jeremy Lin
Author Thread
Knicks8020
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #3888

2/3/2012  5:14 PM
I'm no Lin fanboy here, but I'm not sure I'm wrong in believing that he may have the potential to start as PG for this Knicks team. Out of desperation for our Knicks' situation, I've done a little bit of research on the kid, and I'm thoroughly impressed by what I've read and seen, albeit a little disturbed by the willingness of pretty much every coach at nearly every level to underestimate him.

Here's a kid who led his high-school team to a 32-1 season and a state championship, who was subsequently named California's High School State Player of the year for his abilities, yet ended up being California's ONLY HS State basketball player in HISTORY who was never offered a Division 1 scholarship.

Here's a kid who was given little choice but to play for a middling Harvard basketball team without a scholarship, but who went on anyways to be named one of 11 finalists for the Bob Cousy Award, break Ivy League records in almost every individual statistical categories, and, in his junior year, become the ONLY NCAA Division 1 player to rank top ten in his conference in scoring (17.8), rebounding (5.5), assists (4.3), steals (2.4), blocked shots (0.6), field goal percentage (0.502), free throw percentage (0.744), and 3 point shot percentage (0.400).
He was also a finalist for the John R. Wooden award his senior year and was picked by ESPN commentator Fran Fraschilla as one of the top 12 most versatile players in college basketball. Keep in mind also that all these accolades were received while playing on a lousy team that had not once in its history been ranked.

Give this kid some damned minutes. He's already shown glimmers of his potential on the Knicks in his limited time here. If you've actually watched Lin playing on the floor the last five games or so, it's obvious that he makes the rest of his unit look substantially better through his effective, if a little raw, true PG play. And his recent stat lines in limited minutes makes Shumpert's and Douglas' (especially Douglas') look rather sad in comparison.

Knicks vs. Houston

Lin: 9 points, 6 assists, 3 rebounds, 1 steal | 20 minutes|
TD: 7 points, 4 assists, 3 rebounds, 0 steals | 26 minutes|
Shump:11 points, 2 assists, 2 rebounds, 1 steal |28 minutes|
Bibby: 0 points, 0 asssits, 0 rebounds, 1 steal |10 minutes|

Knicks vs. Bobcats

Lin: 8 points, 4 assists, 2 rebounds, 0 steals | 6 minutes |
TD: 9 points, 2 assists, 0 rebounds, 0 steals |15 minutes|
Shump: 3 points, 2 assists, 0 rebounds, 2 steals |25 minutes|

While the disparity between Lin's and Douglas + Shumpert's stat lines seems small, when you consider that the latter two have been on the court 3-7x longer to achieve inferior to nearly equal stats as Lin game after game should be rather disheartening for us Knicks fans. And before you go about dismissing Lin's stats as worthless because they're often accrued during "garbage time," consider that when Lin received significant, non-garbage minutes against the Rockets, he:

1) had 3x as many assists as Douglas and 50% more than Shumpert (on fewer minutes).
2) scored more efficiently than either
3) outscored Toney Douglas and outrebounded Shumpert
4) had no experience playing real minutes and was by far the rawest guy on the floor

Let's throw aside our pre-conceived notions, develop Lin, give him some meaningful time on the floor and he'll regain the confidence and swagger he needs to perform at the high level he's shown he can play at. We'll have a real, creditable PG, and we'll win some damned games for once.

P.S. For those of you who bother to read this and end up agreeing with me, please help get the word out for the good of the team. If I have to watch Toney f***** Douglas publicly masturbate on the court for 15-25 min. again while Lin warms D'antoni's bench, I swear I'm going to punch a hole through my TV.

AUTOADVERT
Knicks8020

2/3/2012  5:15 PM
For kicks, here are some of Lin's stats in two of his most difficult college games, lest you think that his competition during those years was light:

Against UCONN (a perennial D1 powerhouse):
30 points, 9 rebounds, 3 assists, 3 steals, 3 blocked shots.

Against Boston College (In 2008, right after BC knocked off the No. 1 North Carolina Tarheels):
27 points, 8 assists, and 6 rebounds

Look at those numbers and tell me this kid doesn't have potential. Tell me that, if this guy looked like a more typical NBA baller (being Chinese and having a somewhat boyish appearance probably hurts him), this 6'3-6'4 college superstar PG WOULDN'T have been picked in the first round of his draft class, or that D'antoni by this point in the season WOULDN'T have considered the possibility of placing him as a regular on the second unit.

Comments I hear about Lin not being athletic are completely bogus, lazily made simply because of his ethnicity, or because they haven't really been watching him on the floor. You can't execute deep drives past NBA-caliber defenders as often as Lin does without being athletic. You don't completely dismantle Kemba Walker and the rest of the 2009 UCONN Huskies team single-handedly without being athletic. And you DON'T upstage and outshine #1 draft pick John Wall on both ends of the floor without having substantial athletic ability (look up Jeremy Lin vs. John Wall on youtube if you want some good entertainment).

What the hell has to happen for this guy to get some meaningful minutes?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQ2mng5e95w

Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
2/3/2012  5:20 PM
It's mind boggling that he's buried on the bench.
misterearl
Member: #799
USA
2/3/2012  5:28 PM
What's a brotha gotta do to get 15 minutes of quality time?

knicks8020 - what took you so long?

Quite possibly the most thoroughly researched post of the year. Nice homework and excellent points. Sure, it's only February 3 but you get the idea. Next time Toney Douglas stops his dribble ten feet outside the three pont arc, The Answer Man swears he's going to punch a hole through his TV.

Two Thumbs Up

once a knick always a knick
KNICKSBIGCATS
Member: #3745

2/3/2012  5:44 PM
Lin is buried on the bench.
Nothing that loser coach Clueless Pringles does surprises me.
Praying that he'll be fired soon.
"Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships." -Michael Jordan
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
2/3/2012  5:52 PM
Lin is this years Mozgov he just needs a chance. TD is last years Turiaf except he was a much more useful role player and u can make a case for him starting and bring Mozgov along slowly.
CashMoney
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #3374
USA
2/3/2012  7:04 PM
I used to like and defend TD. No more...he sucks! FREE LIN!!!
Blue & Orange 4 Life!
MarburyAnd1Crossover
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #3650

2/3/2012  7:15 PM
Lin will be free soon. D'Antoni knows what he's doing with the young fella.

He's keeping him hungry, like Cujo.

Carmelo Anthony is ANTI-BASKETBALL
upstate
Member: #3781

2/3/2012  7:16 PM    LAST EDITED: 2/3/2012  7:17 PM
Knicks8020 wrote:I'm no Lin fanboy here, but I'm not sure I'm wrong in believing that he may have the potential to start as PG for this Knicks team. Out of desperation for our Knicks' situation, I've done a little bit of research on the kid, and I'm thoroughly impressed by what I've read and seen, albeit a little disturbed by the willingness of pretty much every coach at nearly every level to underestimate him.

Here's a kid who led his high-school team to a 32-1 season and a state championship, who was subsequently named California's High School State Player of the year for his abilities, yet ended up being California's ONLY HS State basketball player in HISTORY who was never offered a Division 1 scholarship.

Here's a kid who was given little choice but to play for a middling Harvard basketball team without a scholarship, but who went on anyways to be named one of 11 finalists for the Bob Cousy Award, break Ivy League records in almost every individual statistical categories, and, in his junior year, become the ONLY NCAA Division 1 player to rank top ten in his conference in scoring (17.8), rebounding (5.5), assists (4.3), steals (2.4), blocked shots (0.6), field goal percentage (0.502), free throw percentage (0.744), and 3 point shot percentage (0.400).
He was also a finalist for the John R. Wooden award his senior year and was picked by ESPN commentator Fran Fraschilla as one of the top 12 most versatile players in college basketball. Keep in mind also that all these accolades were received while playing on a lousy team that had not once in its history been ranked.

Give this kid some damned minutes. He's already shown glimmers of his potential on the Knicks in his limited time here. If you've actually watched Lin playing on the floor the last five games or so, it's obvious that he makes the rest of his unit look substantially better through his effective, if a little raw, true PG play. And his recent stat lines in limited minutes makes Shumpert's and Douglas' (especially Douglas') look rather sad in comparison.

Knicks vs. Houston

Lin: 9 points, 6 assists, 3 rebounds, 1 steal | 20 minutes|
TD: 7 points, 4 assists, 3 rebounds, 0 steals | 26 minutes|
Shump:11 points, 2 assists, 2 rebounds, 1 steal |28 minutes|
Bibby: 0 points, 0 asssits, 0 rebounds, 1 steal |10 minutes|

Knicks vs. Bobcats

Lin: 8 points, 4 assists, 2 rebounds, 0 steals | 6 minutes |
TD: 9 points, 2 assists, 0 rebounds, 0 steals |15 minutes|
Shump: 3 points, 2 assists, 0 rebounds, 2 steals |25 minutes|

While the disparity between Lin's and Douglas + Shumpert's stat lines seems small, when you consider that the latter two have been on the court 3-7x longer to achieve inferior to nearly equal stats as Lin game after game should be rather disheartening for us Knicks fans. And before you go about dismissing Lin's stats as worthless because they're often accrued during "garbage time," consider that when Lin received significant, non-garbage minutes against the Rockets, he:

1) had 3x as many assists as Douglas and 50% more than Shumpert (on fewer minutes).
2) scored more efficiently than either
3) outscored Toney Douglas and outrebounded Shumpert
4) had no experience playing real minutes and was by far the rawest guy on the floor

Let's throw aside our pre-conceived notions, develop Lin, give him some meaningful time on the floor and he'll regain the confidence and swagger he needs to perform at the high level he's shown he can play at. We'll have a real, creditable PG, and we'll win some damned games for once.

P.S. For those of you who bother to read this and end up agreeing with me, please help get the word out for the good of the team. If I have to watch Toney f***** Douglas publicly masturbate on the court for 15-25 min. again while Lin warms D'antoni's bench, I swear I'm going to punch a hole through my TV.

+1 Lin always posted big games against better opponents, and did better in second halves and at the end of games as well.

mikesknicks
Member: #684
USA
2/3/2012  11:00 PM
You guys are reaching. LIN is a scrub!
In the Knick of time. Knickal for Your thoughts.
DJMUSIC
Member: #1283

2/3/2012  11:02 PM
This is absurd
Lin is lucky to be on a nba team
he had some moments on game but generally when Celtics put pressure in on Lin's mug
you can tell that kid was scared to death!

Lin may have few offensive skills but no attitude
Don't want any wimps on this team

Lin is aggressive but if you put pressure on a guy & he cracks that aint a Knick

Turntable Musiclover & Mix-Master-ologist
JCrusher
Member: #3685

2/3/2012  11:02 PM
I dont understand the Lin dicksucking. i mean he had a good night but he also ****ed up. From what i've seen he plays too out of control. As a pg you gotta find the guys certainly but you have to play under control
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
2/3/2012  11:14 PM
Bring him along slowly instead of throwing him in.

He had a good game. Made some mistakes. I don't think you play in in crunch time. Thats a lot to ask the kid.

Knicks8020

2/3/2012  11:15 PM
He was nervous and made some bad decisions, but if you were fighting for your NBA career every time you got on the court, you would be too.
Develop him and give him a regular spot on the rotation. Despite the mistakes, his talent was clearly evident, and it should be cultivated rather than wasted. Did you not see him consistently drive past Rondo on his drives? Don't you remember that crazy play when he cut through Rondo, passed the man in the lane and made the quick pass to Stoudemire for the quick assist? Could you reasonably see BD, Sessions, or god forbid Toney Douglas pulling off something like that?

No one's sucking anyone's dick here. Recognize talent when you see it. Nervousness can be shed with burn.

soundcrib
Member: #175
2/3/2012  11:17 PM
and shumpert doesn't play out of control? yet he's our combo guard playing point guard in the starting lineup for the new york knicks. go figure.
ChuckBuck
Alba Posts: 11
Member: #3806
USA
2/3/2012  11:19 PM
I will take nerves over ineptitude anyday...Nerves can be tamed with experience, constant futility from TD is just hurting this team.
JCrusher
Member: #3685

2/3/2012  11:20 PM
soundcrib wrote:and shumpert doesn't play out of control? yet he's our combo guard playing point guard in the starting lineup for the new york knicks. go figure.
I never said shumpert is flawless but he gives us defense. All im saying is just relax about lin and stop proclaiming him the next steve nash lol
Knicks8020

2/3/2012  11:22 PM
Don't get me started on TD. As soon as that scrub steps on the court, everything goes wrong -- tempo gone, FG% gone, TO's by the bunches.
And what the hell was with him getting outrun and outmuscled by Grandpa Pierce for the loose ball possession?
ChuckBuck
Alba Posts: 11
Member: #3806
USA
2/3/2012  11:24 PM
JCrusher wrote:
soundcrib wrote:and shumpert doesn't play out of control? yet he's our combo guard playing point guard in the starting lineup for the new york knicks. go figure.
I never said shumpert is flawless but he gives us defense. All im saying is just relax about lin and stop proclaiming him the next steve nash lol

Lin isn't the next Steve Nash, but he's the closest thing we have to a PG and he'll at least penetrate and dish unlike TD.

Knicks8020

2/3/2012  11:24 PM
JCrusher wrote:

Nobody's saying Lin's the next Steve Nash. What we're saying is that Lin could develop into the starting PG of this Knicks team if we give him some consistent minutes and develop him. There's no excuse for giving human garbage TD any minutes under any circumstance. And Shumps is best used as an SG -- I think we've already agreed upon that.

The Case for Jeremy Lin

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy