[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Shumpert showing his shooting in Vegas
Author Thread
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
9/13/2011  10:58 AM
surprised nixluva hasn't splayed this across the forums yet.

There were a handful of rookies here, but Shumpert was hands-down the best of the bunch. His athleticism was impressive, but he showed the ability to knock down jumpers as well which would make him an extremely tough cover in the coming years. He had 25 points and six rebounds.

- A. Sherrod Blakely, from his rundown of Day 1 of Impact League competition.

no idea who Blakely is. Here are the stats from day 1: google doc

FG	FGA	FG%	3FG	3FGA	3FG%	FTM	FTA	Points	Reb	Assists	Steal	Blocks	TO
Shumpert 11 14 78.57% 1 4 25.00% 0 0 25 6 2 0 1 1

and another mention:

http://www.hoopsworld.com/nba-am-star-power-in-melo-philly-game/

Day One of Impact CTS: Impact Basketball’s competitive training series is underway. Day one featured four games, and plenty of media members and fans were in attendance to get their basketball fix.

While the games aren’t currently being streamed online, that may change later in the week once some of the technical details are worked out. Games will be played every afternoon for the next two weeks at 4:30, 6:30, 8:30 and 10:30 ET.

The top scorers from day one were J.J. Hickson (32 points), Dahntay Jones (31 points), Austin Daye (30 points), Isaiah Thomas (26 points) and Iman Shumpert (25 points).

Marreese Speights and Melvin Ely were the top rebounders, grabbing 12 boards apiece. Mo Williams and Sebastian Telfair were the leading passers, with 10 assists each. Ely and Daye led all players in blocks with three apiece. Shelvin Mack recorded a day-high three steals.

The eight teams will compete over these two weeks for a chance to make the playoffs, which will be held on September 22. The championship game will be played on September 23.

Team A features Sebastian Telfair, James Anderson, Kawhi Leonard, Malcolm Lee, Larry Hughes, Marreese Speights and Melvin Ely.

Team B features Stephen Jackson, Al Harrington, Tony Allen, Armon Johnson, Josh Selby, Xavier Silas, Coby Carl, Jeremy Evans, Gary Forbes and Derrick Caracter.

Team C features Kyle Lowry, Austin Daye, Jared Dudley, Channing Frye, Courtney Lee, Hakim Warrick, and Alan Anderson.

Team D features Chauncey Billups, Iman Shumpert, Roger Mason, Shawne Williams, Jermaine O’Neal, Damon Jones and Jamaal Tinsley.

Team E features Mo Williams, Eric Bledsoe, Travis Leslie, Willie Warren, Ryan Gomes and Al-Farouq Aminu.

Team F features DeMar DeRozan, J.J. Hickson, Corey Maggette, Dorell Wright, Isaiah Thomas, Avery Bradley and Bonzi Wells.

Team G features John Wall, Rashard Lewis, Nick Young, Jordan Crawford, Shelvin Mack, Terrico White, Larry Owens, Marcus Banks and Desmon Farmer.

Team H features Paul George, Wesley Matthews, Dahntay Jones, T.J. Ford, Brandon Rush, Dominique Jones, Corey Stokes and Jordan Williams.

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
AUTOADVERT
martin
USA
9/13/2011  11:06 AM
ok then, here is Blakely article.

http://www.csnne.com/09/13/11/Impact-League-Day-1-roundup/mobile_landing.html?blockID=563265&feedID=4945&qv=1

Impact League Day 1 roundup

By A. Sherrod Blakely
CSNNE.com Celtics Insider

LAS VEGAS — Day 1 of the Lockout League is in the books.

As expected, there were games when the defense was non-existent, guys missed shots they probably shouldn't, and some players struggled playing with others.

But there were some whose play stood out.

Let's talk about them, as well as the Celtics of the past and present, who were among the 40 or so players on the floor today.

STARS:

Marreese Speights, C, Philadelphia: After seeing limited time last season with the Sixers, Speights is out to regain the form and promise he showed as a rookie three years ago. The 6-foot-10 center showed a nice inside-outside game, tallying 21 points (including a 3-pointer) along with 12 rebounds.

Isaiah Thomas, G, Sacramento: The smallest guy on the floor put up big numbers while playing in two games. In his first game, the 5-foot-9 guard barely missed having a triple-double with 28 points, 11 rebounds and nine assists. He followed that up with a 26-point, seven-assist effort.

Austin Daye, F, Detroit: Still skinny as a twig, Daye's versatility made him a tough cover. His shooting range is uncanny for a player his size (6-foot-11), but he also can put the ball on the floor and score off the dribble. He had 30 points and 10 rebounds.

Iman Shumpert, G/F, New York: There were a handful of rookies here, but Shumpert was hands-down the best of the bunch. His athleticism was impressive, but he showed the ability to knock down jumpers as well which would make him an extremely tough cover in the coming years. He had 25 points and six rebounds.

SEEING GREEN NOW AND THEN:

THEN (FORMER CELTICS)

Sebastian Telfair (2006-2007) — Telfair looked pretty good in the first game of the day, but the numbers (22 points, six rebounds and 10 assists) were much greater than his true impact on the game.

Damon Jones (1998-1999) — Jones did what DJ does best - knock down 3s (had 16 points which included 5 3-pointers) and deliver comedic value during the game. But he'll be hard-pressed to do enough in this setting, to impress teams once the NBA season resumes.

Ryan Gomes (2005-2007) — Had a decent game with solid numbers (16 points, eight rebounds), but like most forward tweeners, he struggled against a smaller, quicker player.

Tony Allen (2004-2010) — He took some bad shots, made some good hustle plays as well as a couple improbable ones while scoring 17 points. His defense wasn't as sharp as it should be, but working out the kinks - like playing better defense - is what you do this time of year.

NOW

Avery Bradley -- He struggled at times shooting the ball, but tallied 16 points and improved his defense as the game wore on by limiting a bigger player (Alan Anderson) from getting good low-post position.

Jermaine O'Neal -- JO got off to a fast start and finished with 14 points, but it was clear that he was losing steam quickly. He can definitely help the C's this upcoming season, but he doesn't have it in him to play the kind of major minutes players in this league will be logging.

jrodmc
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #805
USA
9/13/2011  11:39 AM
Hate the IT reference.
Markji
Alba Posts: -4
Member: #1673
USA
9/13/2011  11:49 AM    LAST EDITED: 9/13/2011  12:02 PM
Wow Iman was 11 for 14 FGA = 78.6% and was 1 for 4 from 3pt. If these stats are correct, that means he was 11 for 11 from inside the arc....which is fabulous.

I looking at the total stats, almost everyone shot between 60% to 90% FG% and it seems the 3 pt% is separate from that. Probably no defense was played by anyone. An interesting stat - Isiah Thomas#2 hit 6 for 6 from 3 pt range. Maybe he would be good here? We definitely don't want IT#1.

The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense. Tom Clancy - author
SupremeCommander
Alba Posts: 35
Member: #1127

9/13/2011  12:00 PM    LAST EDITED: 9/13/2011  12:06 PM
jrodmc wrote:Hate the IT reference.

you do realize that

Isaiah Thomas ≠ Isiah Thomas

right?

Okay, so it was an Isiah Thomas reference:

named after the former Indiana and NBA all-star guard Isiah Thomas when his father, James, lost a friendly wager on a Lakers vs. Pistons playoff game in 1989 ... the name was approved by his mother since she desired a biblical name.

http://www.gohuskies.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/thomas_isaiah00.html

Sambakick wrote: Gives a whole new meaning to "Jazz Hands"
jrodmc
USA
9/13/2011  1:30 PM
SupremeCommander wrote:
jrodmc wrote:Hate the IT reference.

you do realize that

Isaiah Thomas ≠ Isiah Thomas

right?

Okay, so it was an Isiah Thomas reference:

named after the former Indiana and NBA all-star guard Isiah Thomas when his father, James, lost a friendly wager on a Lakers vs. Pistons playoff game in 1989 ... the name was approved by his mother since she desired a biblical name.

http://www.gohuskies.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/thomas_isaiah00.html

More than I needed to know. Still hate any IT reference. Still, it's better than NHL references.

Wow, we have a rookie 6'5" PG....Sac has a rookie 5'9" point guard. Wondering when JimmyDoughlin will start attending Sacramento team meetings...

martin
USA
9/13/2011  1:55 PM
couple of comments from a user over at Posting and Toasting:

Here are some notes I made from the D-Bags first game.
Made a left turn at the third Elvis and pulled into the Impact parking lot.
There were only five players on each side so no substitutions. Four ten minute quarters with a five minute halftime. There were maybe 200 people in attendance so I could move around to the D-Bags half of the court and sat maybe 10 feet from the action.
In the first 3 minutes Shumpy stole the ball, got a couple of rebounds and missed a wide open 3. After that he made at least 5 threes in a row, mostly from the right corner. Stole the ball a couple more times got at least 6 assists and made a nifty off balance put back on an offensive rebound. He also made a few two pointers and I only counted 2 misses. I’n not sure what the official box score will look like but he scored at least 20 points by my unofficial count.
My cellphone went off with about 2 minutes to go so I had to get to someplace quiet and missed the final two minutes of action but by that time the Bags were down by about 10. I’m not sure if they won or not, but I think they probably lost.
Shumpy pretty much stayed on the outside for most of the game.
Anyway my overall impression was of a guy who lets the game come to him, didn’t force up any bad shots, and if given a sliver of space will burn you. He’s got a nice stroke.
Jorts was not in attendance and since there was no program I am not sure who anyone else was except for Corey Magette. From what saw I think we can be encouraged.
That’s it. Now back to the tables.

by YuckFou on Sep 12, 2011 11:18 PM EDT

It's quite possible that some of those threes I saw where actually long twos

In any case they were close to the 3 point line. I admit I am a bit of a Bag homer. Also, any time he made a pass that resulted in a teammate scoring I counted it as an assist. If the game was at At MSG I think he would have been credited with at least six assists. Whatever, he was certainly not a ball stopper. If he didn’t have a shot he got rid of the ball quickly. I just remember that in some discussions here the worry was that he would force up questionable shots like he did at Georgia Tech. I saw none of that. If he plays for us like he did for the Bags last night I doubt there will be any complaints about his shot selection or his game in general. Also, I never saw him take any foul shots which makes it kind of difficult to score 24 points on only 10 made shots without at least 4 threes. Again, I left a couple of minutes early so I may have missed some foul shots.

nixluva
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #758
USA
9/13/2011  2:50 PM
martin wrote:surprised nixluva hasn't splayed this across the forums yet.

Ha Ha, you know I didn't do it on purpose It's one game and I already get enough crap about talking him up on this and other forums. I was very happy to see him doing well tho. He needs this game action against other pros badly and any success he has will only serve to make him better. Can't wait for the rest of his Knicks teammates to get there so they can bond a little.

martin
USA
9/13/2011  4:40 PM
nixluva wrote:

Ha Ha, you know I didn't do it on purpose It's one game and I already get enough crap about talking him up on this and other forums. I was very happy to see him doing well tho. He needs this game action against other pros badly and any success he has will only serve to make him better. Can't wait for the rest of his Knicks teammates to get there so they can bond a little.

loved the fact that 1) he kept moving the ball and 2) hit open shots. Not much more you can ask for a rookie like him on the offensive end of things.

I want to hear next that he looked good guarding guys 1-on-1.

nixluva
USA
9/13/2011  5:04 PM
martin wrote:
nixluva wrote:

loved the fact that 1) he kept moving the ball and 2) hit open shots. Not much more you can ask for a rookie like him on the offensive end of things.

I want to hear next that he looked good guarding guys 1-on-1.

I have a feeling that this will eventually be something we hear about a lot from this kid.

I know that a lot of fans base their opinion on draft picks by what has been written and also the hype machine around kids in good programs, but I also think it's important to factor in other things when judging a prospect. Iman isn't a tweener, which is great. He's got legit SG size, length and quickness, but he also has the handle and moves of a PG in terms of breaking down an opponent. This is what you want most in a player. It's the Dirk/Durant quotient. Too big for smalls, too quick for bigs, always has the advantage!!! Those kinds of players tend to be impact players. I see a bit of that in Iman. As soon as he embraces the fact that he can't really be stopped that's when you become D. Wade. 1000% confidence for SG's is a good thing. I see a lowercase D. Wade or Westbrook in Iman. I may be wrong, but that's what I see this kid becoming if he's encouraged to play with a green light, which I suspect MDA will let him do, since that is his default position . Like I said he's in a perfect spot. The next best spot would've been in G.S. He needs a guard oriented system and coach, which he has here.

ATrain
Member: #3192

9/13/2011  6:02 PM
Why is Roger Mason on the team Don't tell me we are stuck with him for next season..
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
9/13/2011  6:35 PM
Great to hear positive news about basketball being played. I can't wait to hear how Jorts does.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
martin
USA
9/14/2011  10:47 AM
game #2:
		2FG	2FGA	FG%	3FG	3FGA	3FG%	FTM	FTA	Points	Reb	Assists	Steal	Blocks	TO
Shumpert 5 10 50% 3 4 75% 0 0 19 10 3 1 0 0
martin
USA
9/14/2011  10:49 AM
http://twitter.com/#!/JaredDudley619/status/113824057937498112

@JaredDudley619 Jared Dudley
Another great Win tonight at impact!!! I was really impressed with the rookie Shumpert for the Knicks.. Very Talented offensively

jrodmc
USA
9/14/2011  1:08 PM
martin wrote:game #2:

10 boards! Do we have the next Oscar?

yeah, i'm giddy.

martin
USA
9/14/2011  1:53 PM
jrodmc wrote:
martin wrote:game #2:

10 boards! Do we have the next Oscar?

yeah, i'm giddy.

ha, you nixluva-lite

SupremeCommander

9/14/2011  2:02 PM
martin wrote:
http://twitter.com/#!/JaredDudley619/status/113824057937498112

@JaredDudley619 Jared Dudley
Another great Win tonight at impact!!! I was really impressed with the rookie Shumpert for the Knicks.. Very Talented offensively

a positive review like that is much more impressive than stats this time of the year.. good to hear

nixluva
USA
9/14/2011  2:13 PM
This is just what this kid needs! I want very much for him to gain a sense that he can do this against NBA players and come in confident and not hesitant. He's got all the physical talent in the world, so really it's up to him just how good he can be. It's not like some players that have a ceiling due to a lack of size, speed, athletic ability or skill. He's pretty much got all of that and on top of that he's got a great motor. his college rebounding and steals show that he has a great motor and I weighed that heavily when judging him as a prospect.

I'm not going to go crazy over the numbers he puts up in these games. That's not really the issue given the nature of the league. I just like to see that he's being able to fill a boxscore and gain confidence. This may be more helpful than any Summer League games, given the competition.

martin
USA
9/15/2011  12:40 AM
@jmikeNBAusat J. Michael Falgoust
NBA writer for USA TODAY.
http://twitter.com/#!/jmikeNBAusat

Game 2 underway. Shumpert Anderson Telfair Evans Caracter Tinsley vs. DeMar Isaiah Dorrell Matthews Jordan Will Bradley

Iman Shumpert is draining the mid-range jumper over DeRozan. Good handle. Good elevation

Shumpert goes baseline, uses his body to shed DeRozan and hits another j.

Damon Jones just walks over to Shumpert during a timeout and says to him, "You're f----n him up." LOL

OK, this Shumpert vs. DeRozan thing is gettin a tad testy. Hard foul by DeRozan

Shumpert is the only guy playing defense on his team. Gets steal and dunk on pass to DeRozan

Shumpert finishes with 26 & 6 reb in 118-104 win @impactbball. DeRozan = 35 pts, 6 rebs

@jmikeNBAusat So Shumpert is looking like he can score enough to play in the Knicks' system? Defensive tools as advertised?

@HuntForRingsNYY ...Very good defender and he LIKES playing defense

@RDenis10 feeling good about this guy.

jmikeNBAusat @RDenis10 You should. He's gonna be a beast

Shumpert on what makes him unique: "I appreciate both sides of the ball a little more than everybody else."

I love Selby but basketball is a two-way game. @I_Am_Iman was the best two-way player. His strength bothers guys

Selby has had great games all summer. but @I_Am_Iman has an NBA body and he's NBA ready now
SupremeCommander

9/15/2011  2:45 AM
martin wrote:
@jmikeNBAusat So Shumpert is looking like he can score enough to play in the Knicks' system? Defensive tools as advertised?

@HuntForRingsNYY ...Very good defender and he LIKES playing defense

I liked that one

Shumpert showing his shooting in Vegas

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy