8/20/2011  11:57 AM
Let's go Knicks. That's amare
AUTOADVERT
nixluva
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #758
USA
8/20/2011  12:05 PM
Yea I saw this dunk a few days ago. I'm so looking forward to seeing this kid play. I'm hoping that he will be one of those kids that is much better as a pro than in the college system. He seems like he could be unleashed to use more of his natural talent in the NBA. I see no reason this kid can't be successful. He's got the Athletic ability, ball handling skills, good form on his jumper and seems to be able to pass a little too. Combine that with his serious defensive attitude and I really think he can help this team next year. I want to see how well he picks up what MDA and Billups will be teaching him.
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
8/20/2011  2:05 PM
hope he is working on that shot and shot selection in between dunks.
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
nixluva
USA
8/20/2011  2:40 PM
martin wrote:hope he is working on that shot and shot selection in between dunks.

Yea from everything he says, he started working on his shot before the combines and has been on it every since. I think this is a kid with a great work ethic. He sure enough impressed the Knicks with his shooting. From just looking at his shot his form wasn't bad. I think with more time to focus on it and fine tune his shot, that's all he really needed. I think we've got a bit of a steal with this kid. If he can show a better eye for passing than he has so far in college, I see this kid being a good guard on the NBA level. You know how some kids game is just more suited to the pro game. Hopefully that will be the case with Iman.

Usually guards with his kind of athletic ability and size can make the transition. I hope that he plays with the same confidence as Fields did. I think having at least one side of the ball where he's going to be strong will really help. We won't need him to score, so he doesn't have to force that and can focus on defense and ball distribution. That's why I feel he will be successful.

martin
USA
8/20/2011  2:45 PM
nixluva wrote:
martin wrote:hope he is working on that shot and shot selection in between dunks.

Yea from everything he says, he started working on his shot before the combines and has been on it every since. I think this is a kid with a great work ethic. He sure enough impressed the Knicks with his shooting. From just looking at his shot his form wasn't bad. I think with more time to focus on it and fine tune his shot, that's all he really needed. I think we've got a bit of a steal with this kid. If he can show a better eye for passing than he has so far in college, I see this kid being a good guard on the NBA level. You know how some kids game is just more suited to the pro game. Hopefully that will be the case with Iman.

Usually guards with his kind of athletic ability and size can make the transition. I hope that he plays with the same confidence as Fields did. I think having at least one side of the ball where he's going to be strong will really help. We won't need him to score, so he doesn't have to force that and can focus on defense and ball distribution. That's why I feel he will be successful.

next he should be hanging out with someone who understands the PnR.

nixluva
USA
8/20/2011  10:12 PM
martin wrote:
nixluva wrote:

next he should be hanging out with someone who understands the PnR.

The only thing I have to go on is that MDA had the guards who came in for workouts run PnR and from what i've read it seems like Iman did better than expected as a passer and as a shooter. If he has any level of proficiency at this early stage it can only help. I just remember how hard it's been for TD and how Felton struggled with the timing of it. Highlights i've seen of Iman passing look pretty good. He seems to have good court vision. Even in High School videos you can see him making very good passes and often difficult passes. It's the only thing I can go on since we didn't even get the luxury of any SL games (curse the NBA Lockout).

This is a highlight video I hadn't seen. Lot's of stuff we've seen with a few we haven't.

technomaster
Member: #426
USA
8/22/2011  10:51 PM
You can see why the Knicks were excited about him. He's got nice form on his jumper and has the prototypical explosion and athleticism. With players like him, it'll be interesting how he performs when the team asks him to play more of a role player's game (aka fundamental basketball - open jumpers and drives to the basket - limited one-on-one creation).

On the Knicks, he has an excellent chance to be a super role player, with star potential. It remains to be seen where he'll get minutes, with Fields and TD also vying for the same minutes... not even mentioning Rautins. :)

“That was two, two from the heart.” - John Starks
martin
USA
8/22/2011  11:04 PM
technomaster wrote:You can see why the Knicks were excited about him. He's got nice form on his jumper and has the prototypical explosion and athleticism. With players like him, it'll be interesting how he performs when the team asks him to play more of a role player's game (aka fundamental basketball - open jumpers and drives to the basket - limited one-on-one creation).

On the Knicks, he has an excellent chance to be a super role player, with star potential. It remains to be seen where he'll get minutes, with Fields and TD also vying for the same minutes... not even mentioning Rautins. :)

with guys like Amare and Melo on the team, it's exactly what you want, especially in the defensive mode of the equation. Hopefully the Knicks can somehow find a C in the same type of territory.

nixluva
USA
8/23/2011  12:36 AM
What I like about Iman is that he already knew his role in the NBA and stated it before the draft. He's an energy guy, brings intense D and he can sprinkle in his great athletic ability when defenders aren't focused on him. Every interview Iman gives he talks about defending and that's not something we see with Knicks draft picks everyday.

TheGame
Member: #1154
USA
8/23/2011  8:09 AM
If Iman is going to be get any burn next season, he needs to learn how to shoot. Being high energy and playing great defense is okay for a PF, but a guard has to do more. Hopefully, this kid is shooting 500 jumpers a day and working on his mechanics. While he cannot work with the coaching staff, his agent should be able to get him with some ex-NBAers who can work on his jumpshot. If this kid can consistently hit an open jumper, he is going to play big minutes next year because he would probably be our best perimeter defender and our only perimeter player with an explosive-type of offensive game.
Trust the Process
nixluva
USA
8/23/2011  11:36 AM
TheGame wrote:If Iman is going to be get any burn next season, he needs to learn how to shoot. Being high energy and playing great defense is okay for a PF, but a guard has to do more. Hopefully, this kid is shooting 500 jumpers a day and working on his mechanics. While he cannot work with the coaching staff, his agent should be able to get him with some ex-NBAers who can work on his jumpshot. If this kid can consistently hit an open jumper, he is going to play big minutes next year because he would probably be our best perimeter defender and our only perimeter player with an explosive-type of offensive game.

Iman can already shoot!!! He actually shot 47% from 2 pt range and 80% from the line. Guys that can't shoot don't do that. Looking at his jumper you see that his form is smooth. What killed him was taking too many bad 3's. I think he can hit 3's, but when you force it then you end up with poor %. I think this kid is gonna be a steal of the draft. He's got so many positives and very few negatives. In fact I find it funny that people knock him for poor shooting when he does everything else very well.

The kid defends, rebounds, pushes the ball, penetrates and finishes, draws fouls and isn't as bad a passer as it may seem from the stats. You put a kid like this in a real system with Superstars to pass to and he could end up being another Rondo. Since he's 6-5, his line of sight in the offense should be very good. In college they needed him to be a scorer, which wasn't his real personality. He wanted to be more of a passer, but they needed him to be aggressive offensively. All of this in the most impressive physical package in the draft!!!

Iman doesn't need to force 3's. I want to see him concentrate on PnR and Drive and kick.

Markji
Alba Posts: -4
Member: #1673
USA
8/23/2011  12:21 PM
Yes, drive and kick. He seems to have a very quick first step. I'm excited. The one thing I don't have a feel for is Iman's mental toughness. He didn't play on a very good college team so it's hard to tell if he is clutch and/or a winner. I really hope so, because he can really be a valuable part of our success.
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense. Tom Clancy - author
nixluva
USA
8/23/2011  3:38 PM
Markji wrote:Yes, drive and kick. He seems to have a very quick first step. I'm excited. The one thing I don't have a feel for is Iman's mental toughness. He didn't play on a very good college team so it's hard to tell if he is clutch and/or a winner. I really hope so, because he can really be a valuable part of our success.

Well he may not have a hit a lot of 3's but he surely wasn't scared to take them

This video is game action against UNC. I saw Shumpert hitting the boards and I noticed on one play he really boxed out. No wonder he's such a good rebounder. Iman was good for about 6 rebs, 3 stls and about 6 FT's a game. When you take away the poor 3pt shooting he looks like a really good player. This is a player that doesn't waste minutes on the court. He's out there doing just about everything. If those who are down on the kid really look at his production they'd see this is a special kid.

TheGame
USA
8/24/2011  9:50 AM
nixluva wrote:
TheGame wrote:If Iman is going to be get any burn next season, he needs to learn how to shoot. Being high energy and playing great defense is okay for a PF, but a guard has to do more. Hopefully, this kid is shooting 500 jumpers a day and working on his mechanics. While he cannot work with the coaching staff, his agent should be able to get him with some ex-NBAers who can work on his jumpshot. If this kid can consistently hit an open jumper, he is going to play big minutes next year because he would probably be our best perimeter defender and our only perimeter player with an explosive-type of offensive game.

Iman can already shoot!!! He actually shot 47% from 2 pt range and 80% from the line. Guys that can't shoot don't do that. Looking at his jumper you see that his form is smooth. What killed him was taking too many bad 3's. I think he can hit 3's, but when you force it then you end up with poor %. I think this kid is gonna be a steal of the draft. He's got so many positives and very few negatives. In fact I find it funny that people knock him for poor shooting when he does everything else very well.

The kid defends, rebounds, pushes the ball, penetrates and finishes, draws fouls and isn't as bad a passer as it may seem from the stats. You put a kid like this in a real system with Superstars to pass to and he could end up being another Rondo. Since he's 6-5, his line of sight in the offense should be very good. In college they needed him to be a scorer, which wasn't his real personality. He wanted to be more of a passer, but they needed him to be aggressive offensively. All of this in the most impressive physical package in the draft!!!

Iman doesn't need to force 3's. I want to see him concentrate on PnR and Drive and kick.

This kid had plenty of people to pass to when Favors was on that squad and he still did not have great assist numbers. His ability to play the point full time is still a big question mark, which is why he needs to have the shooting ability to play SG. The college 3pt line is where alot of NBA shots are going to be taken. I guess we will not know until games start again, but hopefully this kid is doing more than just working on conditioning and dunking.

Trust the Process
nixluva
USA
8/24/2011  10:15 AM
TheGame wrote:
nixluva wrote:

This kid had plenty of people to pass to when Favors was on that squad and he still did not have great assist numbers. His ability to play the point full time is still a big question mark, which is why he needs to have the shooting ability to play SG. The college 3pt line is where alot of NBA shots are going to be taken. I guess we will not know until games start again, but hopefully this kid is doing more than just working on conditioning and dunking.

I'm not really that bothered by the low college assists. For one thing I don't think he had great coaching in college and that can have a huge impact on how a PG develops. They already replaced the coach he had. All I know is that like many young PG's he will need time to grow into the position. Aside from the great PG's most need time to fully develop their play making skills.

Kyrie Irving avg'd 4.3 Assists.
Brandon Knight avg'd 4.2 assists.
Shumpert was at 3.5, but was a primary scorer who led his team in just about every way. In his rookie year he avg'd 5 asts and in his soph. yr he avg'd 4 asts. It's clear to me that he can indeed pass. Is he the best pure point in the NCAA? Heck no, but he doesn't stink at it either. Not when you put things in perspective. Somehow I don't think he's going to have as hard a time getting Assists with this Knicks team.

martin
USA
8/27/2011  5:11 PM
matt
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #487
USA
8/27/2011  5:46 PM
the dude is an insane athlete.. some of those dunks were Nate-esque
nixluva
USA
8/27/2011  8:33 PM
I just get the feeling that Iman is gonna surprise a lot of NBA people. As a prospect he was the most athletic player at the combines.
The most physically impressive PG at the Combine and he seems to have a good head on his shoulders. I just have always loved big guards and he's much more elusive, with a better handle and explosion to the hole than guys his size usually are. I think of guys like Derek Harper but Iman is in another class athletically. He'll be able to post up smaller guards and shoot over them and still be able to get by bigger guards. I found this little interview and pulled a snippet from it.
http://www.knicksjournal.com/2011/08/knicks-guard-iman-shumpert-talks-rookie.html

Q: I know that you’ve been doing a lot of training this summer. What are some things that you’ve been working on?

A: I’m just trying to stay in shape. Sometimes you have nagging injuries that you want to make sure don’t come back. I’ve been
putting up a lot of shots too. I’m trying to get my jump shot tighter.

Q: The Knicks’ defense has been criticized over the years. Obviously, you were drafted largely in part due to your own defensive
tendencies. How are you going to look to help the team and how do you feel you’ll fit in?

A: I just want to bring that intensity. Hopefully I can be effective and people start to chime in and play defense like I do.
I like to bring a new type of energy to the floor. Who knows? Maybe my teammates and I will mesh and blend together to make the
Knicks more of a defensive minded team.

Q: I see. A lot of times, a player is able to bring a new type of energy to the floor by providing a much-needed boost for his team
off the bench. Does your style of play make you an ideal sixth man for this Knicks squad?

A: Whatever I can do to help, I’ll do it. I’m not really looking into that yet. I’m just working to get better and better. Whenever
I’m on the court, I know I’ll be playing defense and bringing that energy to the floor for sure.

Q: Who are some of the players you’ve looked up to as you’ve watched the NBA growing up? Seeing as how you’re part of a younger
generation, I know some of your idols may actually still be playing in the league. Will you be nervous to take the court against
any of them?

A: Hmm…Jason Kidd. Definitely guys like Kobe Bryant and LeBron James too. I used to watch a lot of Penny Hardaway. I usually like a lot
of the big guards. I definitely look at players like Derrick Rose and Dwayne Wade as guys I look up to. I won’t be nervous to play against
them though, no. Not at all.

TheGame
USA
8/29/2011  8:02 AM
I just saw another video of Iman working out. It just includes dunks and drives to the basket. This kid needs to be working on his 3pt shot and mid-range jumper. 500 shots a day minimum. I hope he is not simply working on conditioning and driving or else he will not be playing much when the season does start. If someone knows Iman or a person close to him, please tell him he needs to be working on extending the range on his jumper. He also should working with a NBA-level shooting coach. His agent should be able to find one.
Trust the Process
AnubisADL
Alba Posts: 13
Member: #2771
USA
8/31/2011  4:07 PM    LAST EDITED: 8/31/2011  4:30 PM
TheGame wrote:I just saw another video of Iman working out. It just includes dunks and drives to the basket. This kid needs to be working on his 3pt shot and mid-range jumper. 500 shots a day minimum. I hope he is not simply working on conditioning and driving or else he will not be playing much when the season does start. If someone knows Iman or a person close to him, please tell him he needs to be working on extending the range on his jumper. He also should working with a NBA-level shooting coach. His agent should be able to find one.

Not necessarily. He isnt going to get many opportunities to shoot it this year anyway. I like him focusing on getting to the rim and finishing which will open things up for Melo and Amare when defenses collapse. Amare and Melo are more than capable of shooting teams out of the zone anyway. I felt we lacked a penetrating guard last year and relied way to much on jumpers.

If we can get a poor mans Russell Westbrook I'd be doing back flips.

NY Knicks - Retirement home for players and GMs
Iman Shumpert: 360 degree rook

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy