[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Mobile users, let me know your thoughts... TapaTalk?
Author Thread
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
4/15/2011  10:21 AM
I think it was JoeC who had started an OT topic about asking if we could set up the TapaTalk app to view these forums. (now, admittedly, I am still stuck in the mid-90's with my cell phone tech, so bare with me as I stumble through this.)

Is TapaTalk pervasive enough for all of you? Alternatives?

I have done my due diligence TapaTalk and just want to make sure it's the right direction. There would be a bit of work on our part, but something that I am interested in putting time towards (this would not be an overnight thing, but something over the coming months).

Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks.

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
AUTOADVERT
Marv
Alba Posts: 69
Member: #315
4/15/2011  10:29 AM
i don’t know anything about tapatalk. do you know if it would be a mandatory switch for cell use onto the board or would you still be able to access through your existing channels if you chose?

Secondly, do not entrust this project to bip. You know it will turn to crap.

Juice
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #2968

4/15/2011  10:31 AM
So TapaTalk is a mobile phone app that would help view this site from such devices?
holfresh
Member: #1081

4/15/2011  10:36 AM
I've never heard of Tapatalk..I currently view this site on my iPhone and posted this on my iPhone...
martin
USA
4/15/2011  10:40 AM
OK, background: Tapatalk is an app available for iPhone, Android OS (and perhaps iPad soon enough) that allows a much cleaner browsing experience for forums.

Apparently it is a fairly popular tool (again I have never used). There is a free version which allows you to just browse forums, to post or create new thread, there is a 1-time fee of $2.99, but you can use the app on ANY tapatalk enabled site.

This would NOT preclude you from using normal browser or other means to get to our site, just an alternative.

holfresh
Member: #1081

4/15/2011  10:47 AM    LAST EDITED: 4/15/2011  10:48 AM
I also was able to iconize this site much like an app and it updates automatically when opened...Basically I'm saying what I have now works so well I dont see myself leaving it for another app...I feel like UK is an app on go itself..
martin
USA
4/15/2011  10:48 AM
holfresh wrote:I also was able to iconize this site much like an app and it updates automatically.. Basically I'm saying what I have now works so well I dont see myself leaving it for another app...I feel like UK is an app on go itself..

ha fair enough!

nyk4ever
Alba Posts: 12
Member: #848
USA
4/15/2011  10:52 AM
holfresh wrote:I also was able to iconize this site much like an app and it updates automatically when opened...Basically I'm saying what I have now works so well I dont see myself leaving it for another app...I feel like UK is an app on go itself..

hollie - if you don't have me on ignore.. lol. how did you get this site to update automatically? is that something that specific to the iphone?

martin - im here frequently on my droid incredible. viewing the site is no problem, but posting is extremely annoying so an app that might make it easier would work for me. although everyone else would hear from me alot more, so maybe you don't want to do that lol.

"OMG - did we just go on a two-trade-wining-streak?" -SupremeCommander
martin
USA
4/15/2011  10:53 AM
nyk4ever wrote:
holfresh wrote:I also was able to iconize this site much like an app and it updates automatically when opened...Basically I'm saying what I have now works so well I dont see myself leaving it for another app...I feel like UK is an app on go itself..

hollie - if you don't have me on ignore.. lol. how did you get this site to update automatically? is that something that specific to the iphone?

martin - im here frequently on my droid incredible. viewing the site is no problem, but posting is extremely annoying so an app that might make it easier would work for me. although everyone else would hear from me alot more, so maybe you don't want to do that lol.

how is posting annoying?

nyk4ever
USA
4/15/2011  11:05 AM
martin wrote:
nyk4ever wrote:

how is posting annoying?

well, alot of it has to do with the fact that this site doesn't have a "mobile version." alot of sites have mobile versions and what that means is that the mobile version kinda shrinks and resizes the size down to the mobile browser. specifically where this becomes a problem on THIS site is that alot of times the screen won't resize to the proper size so you have to zoom really far in to see what you're typing, the problem with that is that you'll be typing but won't be able to see it because it's went off the screen, because it's so far zoomed in. also for some reason with this site specifically when i try and go back to correct something that i've typed it won't allow me to select that spot and ill have to delete everything.

make sense? my response is kinda convoluted.

Bippity10
Member: #574
4/15/2011  11:51 AM
You would have had these answers if you had not fired your very capable intern.

I agree with NYK4eva. I have a Droid 2/Dolphin browser and posting is a pain for a lot of the reasons NYK mentions. Another problem I have is that sometimes when the typing starts on another line the box won't scroll down so that I can see what I'm typing. I need to type half the line before it will scroll down on it's own. I know nothing about TapaTalk so I can't tell you if that was a solution. If I was still the intern I would have kept up with emerging trends and would be on top of this like bacon on a whore. But you guys ruined it and will now need to figure it out on your own.

I just hope that people will like me
nyk4ever
USA
4/15/2011  11:53 AM
Bippity10 wrote:You would have had these answers if you had not fired your very capable intern.

I agree with NYK4eva. I have a Droid 2/Dolphin browser and posting is a pain for a lot of the reasons NYK mentions. Another problem I have is that sometimes when the typing starts on another line the box won't scroll down so that I can see what I'm typing. I need to type half the line before it will scroll down on it's own. I know nothing about TapaTalk so I can't tell you if that was a solution. If I was still the intern I would have kept up with emerging trends and would be on top of this like bacon on a whore. But you guys ruined it and will now need to figure it out on your own.

i'm surprised you haven't found another job yet bip.

martin - i'm using the same browser as bip (dolphin) and i have the same issue he spoke of, forgot to include that.

Moonangie
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #2788

4/15/2011  11:55 AM
TapaTalk would be helpful for guys who use the site on phone. I am usually on my laptop or iPad, and the browser is fine on either of those. An alternative to TapaTalk would be to create a separate CSS style sheet for iPhone and Android that will "downsize" the page. TapaTalk, as a native phone app, would probably be even easier to use.
Bippity10
Member: #574
4/15/2011  11:55 AM
nyk4ever wrote:
Bippity10 wrote:You would have had these answers if you had not fired your very capable intern.

This is why you don't get on the bad side of the Russian mob

I just hope that people will like me
nyk4ever
USA
4/15/2011  11:58 AM
Bippity10 wrote:
nyk4ever wrote:

This is why you don't get on the bad side of the Russian mob

thats why next time you invite arkrud and simrud to your get together...

franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
4/15/2011  1:03 PM
I use a droid x and have the same problem & have basically tried dolphin, opera, skyfire, firefox mobile and the native browser.

A seperate css for mobile might make sense - or set up a m.ultimateknicks.com version formatted for mobile.

KNICKSdom
Alba Posts: 8
Member: #545
USA
4/15/2011  1:11 PM
I use the iPhone 4 and have no problem posting here. I have heard of tapatalk and it sounds neat but I have no use for it. I'm fine using my phone browser, it is the best there is.
Knicks are happening and have a Unicorn.
Michael6835
Member: #828
4/15/2011  2:08 PM
franco12 wrote:I use a droid x and have the same problem & have basically tried dolphin, opera, skyfire, firefox mobile and the native browser.

A seperate css for mobile might make sense - or set up a m.ultimateknicks.com version formatted for mobile.

Same here, on a droid x. Reading isn't so much an issue, just posting as others have mentioned. You have to zoom, then there is your keyboard which will cover what your doing. I think making the mobile version of the site would be the way to go. Not sure what would be involved in that.

M
Moonangie
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #2788

4/15/2011  3:46 PM    LAST EDITED: 4/15/2011  3:46 PM
Michael6835 wrote:
franco12 wrote:I use a droid x and have the same problem & have basically tried dolphin, opera, skyfire, firefox mobile and the native browser.

Same here, on a droid x. Reading isn't so much an issue, just posting as others have mentioned. You have to zoom, then there is your keyboard which will cover what your doing. I think making the mobile version of the site would be the way to go. Not sure what would be involved in that.

The style sheet for this site isn't very long. Changes to make it fit a mobile browser would take only a few hours at most. I don't know anything about TapaTalk, but it sounds kind of cool, but perhaps a hassle to implement.

orangeblobman
Member: #2539
Nauru
4/15/2011  7:21 PM
it's $2.96 on the android market and i don't see a free version.

there must a be a better, free, way. there always is, martin.

WE AIN'T NOWHERE WITH THIS BUM CHOKER IN CARMELO. GIVE ME STARKS'S 2-21 ANY DAY OVER THIS LACKLUSTER CLUSTEREFF.
Mobile users, let me know your thoughts... TapaTalk?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy