[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

A Game of Thrones - HBO - Best Novels Ever
Author Thread
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

5/1/2013  10:56 PM
Markji wrote:There are already too many characters for most non-book reading people to follow clearly. I saw the new episode last night with my cousins and had to explain who was whom a few times. They actually appreciated it and got more out of watching.

At the end of each book they have a list of each house and who the major players are. I referred to that a lot when I first read the books. Perhaps they can do the same thing on HBO - show a picture of each character and who they are; what they are doing in the story-line. I think it would be helpful.

Hah, did you tell them not to worry? The character list is about to pared down pretty soon.

Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
AUTOADVERT
Markji
Alba Posts: -4
Member: #1673
USA
5/1/2013  11:19 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:
Markji wrote:There are already too many characters for most non-book reading people to follow clearly. I saw the new episode last night with my cousins and had to explain who was whom a few times. They actually appreciated it and got more out of watching.

At the end of each book they have a list of each house and who the major players are. I referred to that a lot when I first read the books. Perhaps they can do the same thing on HBO - show a picture of each character and who they are; what they are doing in the story-line. I think it would be helpful.

Hah, did you tell them not to worry? The character list is about to pared down pretty soon.

Ha -Ha! GRRM has a nasty habit of killing off people. Mormont and Craster just got it. If GRRM wasn't a fiction writer I'd hate to think what he would be doing. Probably killing off people, but in real life.
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense. Tom Clancy - author
BigDaddyG

5/6/2013  3:00 AM
Littlefinger took it to Varys this episode The chaos monologue still sounds awesome even though I've heard it 60 times already. The dialogue between Arya and Melisandre was interesting too. Everyone who's read the books knows the direction Arya's life takes. I wonder if GRRM was throwing a bone to the fans with additional hints. I'm totally on Edmure's side with the marriage arrangement. I'd demand the hottest one too, especially since it's Rob's fault that the army is in the mess it's in.
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
Markji
USA
5/10/2013  12:09 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:Littlefinger took it to Varys this episode The chaos monologue still sounds awesome even though I've heard it 60 times already. The dialogue between Arya and Melisandre was interesting too. Everyone who's read the books knows the direction Arya's life takes. I wonder if GRRM was throwing a bone to the fans with additional hints. I'm totally on Edmure's side with the marriage arrangement. I'd demand the hottest one too, especially since it's Rob's fault that the army is in the mess it's in.

They are doing an excellent job with bringing out the main story lines. In the book it was some old witch/child of the forest who prophesized about Arya. But instead of introducing a new character, they had Melisandre do it. And I do like Melisandre.

Joffrey is more badass in the HBO series than in the books, which is really hard to believe they could do that. The scene at the end, with Ros used as target practice, was gruesome. Especially where the arrows were. Joffrey is one demented bastard. As is the Bolton's bastard son who is torturing and tormenting Theon. A great line by him when he is playing mind games /contest with Theon - "If you think that this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention."

Arya's arrows into the straw man in episode 6, I believe were the same place as the arrows shot by Joffrey - as Arya said - face, tits, balls - same area but different genitals in Ros' case.)

The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense. Tom Clancy - author
VDesai
Alba Posts: 44
Member: #477
USA
5/12/2013  7:34 PM
Looks like Gendry is taking the part of the Edric Storm character. Melisandre coming out to see the Brotherhood without Banners was interesting.

Did they ultimately decide to make Book 3 into one season? I had hear before they were splitting it into two, but with the way things are moving it seems it will be 1 season.

BigDaddyG

5/12/2013  9:54 PM
VDesai wrote:Looks like Gendry is taking the part of the Edric Storm character. Melisandre coming out to see the Brotherhood without Banners was interesting.

Did they ultimately decide to make Book 3 into one season? I had hear before they were splitting it into two, but with the way things are moving it seems it will be 1 season.

I can't tell what they're doing. There have been enough changes from the book to keep everyone on their toes. I'm not sure how they're going to tie up the Tyrion/Sansa arc or continue on with Joffrey, Margery Tyrell arc. But I will be surprised if they wrap up the adventures Jon Snow, Sam Tarley etc. beyond the wall by this season.

BigDaddyG

5/12/2013  9:58 PM    LAST EDITED: 5/12/2013  10:09 PM
Markji wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:Littlefinger took it to Varys this episode The chaos monologue still sounds awesome even though I've heard it 60 times already. The dialogue between Arya and Melisandre was interesting too. Everyone who's read the books knows the direction Arya's life takes. I wonder if GRRM was throwing a bone to the fans with additional hints. I'm totally on Edmure's side with the marriage arrangement. I'd demand the hottest one too, especially since it's Rob's fault that the army is in the mess it's in.

They are doing an excellent job with bringing out the main story lines. In the book it was some old witch/child of the forest who prophesized about Arya. But instead of introducing a new character, they had Melisandre do it. And I do like Melisandre.

Joffrey is more badass in the HBO series than in the books, which is really hard to believe they could do that. The scene at the end, with Ros used as target practice, was gruesome. Especially where the arrows were. Joffrey is one demented bastard. As is the Bolton's bastard son who is torturing and tormenting Theon. A great line by him when he is playing mind games /contest with Theon - "If you think that this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention."

Arya's arrows into the straw man in episode 6, I believe were the same place as the arrows shot by Joffrey - as Arya said - face, tits, balls - same area but different genitals in Ros' case.)

Roose's bastard is doing a good job. The guy who's playing Gollum/Theon is doing an awesome job as well. I think people are going to be surprised at the sympathy they feel for Theon. One thing tho.In the books, they leave Theon's physical, um, reduction to the reader's imagination. I wish they did the same thing on the show. The scene with Theon came off a bit schlocky.
VDesai
USA
5/12/2013  10:11 PM
What a scene in tonight's episode with Ramsay/Theon. All this stuff happens "off camera" in the books, but on camera in the show. Very interesting.

I think its seems as if they will leave some of the Tyrion/Bran storylines for the 4th season since they don't otherwise appear in Feast for Crows.

Markji
USA
5/13/2013  5:53 PM
This episode seems to be setting up the last couple of episodes for both Robb and Jon Snow. I think their 2 events will be in this season. Tyrion/Sansa and Joffrey/Margaery wedding probably next year.

Theon's maiming is painful to think of, even for Theon.

Gendry - I wonder what is up with him now. Big deviation from the book. I think they are doing it on purpose. Those of us who have read the books will find the show more interesting because we won't know everything that is going to happen.

VDesai
USA
5/13/2013  8:00 PM
Certainly seems like Edmure's wedding is coming up, if not in the next couple of episodes.

Looks like Sam "the slayer" is on the horizon as well.

I agree they will probably move the Tyrion/Joffrey stuff up...if only to preserve Tyrions role next season. There's no way they go through a season of the show without that character...without a doubt the most popular character in the series.

I have to say, I'm digging the Jamie characterization. People who havent read the book are coming around to the character which is a good sign. I really think Jamie is one of the most complex/interesting characters in the novels.

Markji
USA
5/14/2013  5:16 AM    LAST EDITED: 5/14/2013  10:04 AM
VDesai wrote:Certainly seems like Edmure's wedding is coming up, if not in the next couple of episodes.

Looks like Sam "the slayer" is on the horizon as well.

I agree they will probably move the Tyrion/Joffrey stuff up...if only to preserve Tyrions role next season. There's no way they go through a season of the show without that character...without a doubt the most popular character in the series.

I have to say, I'm digging the Jamie characterization. People who havent read the book are coming around to the character which is a good sign. I really think Jamie is one of the most complex/interesting characters in the novels.

I agree about Jaime. Everyone hated him during the first season for throwing Bran out of the window and attacking Ned, etc. He was thought to be totally heartless. And now we see him coming to Brienne's rescue a number of times. And his reason for killing the mad King Aerys whom he was sworn to defend saved 1/2 million lives from the wildfire.

Similar situation with Tyrion. Even though a Lannister, he has a big heart and is a great character.
Tywin Lannister, on the other hand, is a cold-blooded SOB. However,he's a great character in the storyline and played exceptionally well by Charles Dance.

BigDaddyG

5/15/2013  9:13 PM
Yeah, Edmure's wedding will probably be the cliffhanger to end the season. Maybe they play out Arya's storyline with the hound. Plus, Davos's story needs to play out. On a side note, I got a kick out of the way Tywin gave King Jof the pimp hand. Good stuff. Ranks with Littlefinger's chaos scene as my favorite scene this season.
Markji
USA
5/18/2013  1:19 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:Yeah, Edmure's wedding will probably be the cliffhanger to end the season. Maybe they play out Arya's storyline with the hound. Plus, Davos's story needs to play out. On a side note, I got a kick out of the way Tywin gave King Jof the pimp hand. Good stuff. Ranks with Littlefinger's chaos scene as my favorite scene this season.

I think the red wedding is episode #9. Episode 10 better be very positive and uplifting because there will be a lot of enraged fans after episode #9.

Tywin is one very strong character. He rules his family. Lot's of story lines - I think they will continue into season 4 - like Arya; Sam; Littlefinger.

VDesai
USA
5/20/2013  11:13 AM
They need to extend Bran and Tyrion's storylines into season 4. I can't imagine a season without much Tyrion. Season 4 is gonna be really dull if its anything similar to Feast for Crows.
NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
5/21/2013  11:48 AM
Addicted to this show. Great casting. Did not read the books but I could not resist reading the GoT Wikis to cheat on the story lines. I think the Red Wedding will go down in the next episode. I can't wait. Memorial day weekend is killing me. Have to wait 2 weeks.
Markji
USA
5/25/2013  1:01 PM
NYKBocker wrote:Addicted to this show. Great casting. Did not read the books but I could not resist reading the GoT Wikis to cheat on the story lines. I think the Red Wedding will go down in the next episode. I can't wait. Memorial day weekend is killing me. Have to wait 2 weeks.

I agree - the acting/casting is extraordinary.

It's wedding season in Westeros. Robb already wed Talisa instead of a Frey; Tyrion just wed 14 yr old Sansa and foiled the Tyrell's plans to have Ser Lorus marry Sansa; Joffrey and Margaery; Edmure and a Frey coming up; Lorus and Cersei; Littlefinger is going to the Eyrie to hopefully wed Catelyn Stark's sister, Lysa Arryn. This is a short clip explaining it all.

Get ready for Sunday's episode.

NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
5/25/2013  2:14 PM
Sadly...its not this sunday. They are taking a weekend off and next episode is next sunday.
Markji
USA
5/25/2013  5:57 PM
NYKBocker wrote:Sadly...its not this sunday. They are taking a weekend off and next episode is next sunday.

Oh....you're right.
Where's Bart Scott when I need a comment.

VDesai
USA
6/2/2013  9:58 PM
Wow. Well it happened. Even knowing what was going to happen that was difficult to watch! I wonder how those who are not familiar with the books are going to react!
BigDaddyG

6/2/2013  10:02 PM    LAST EDITED: 6/2/2013  10:12 PM
I want to like this episode, but I feel a little let down. The Red Wedding came of a bit more melodramatic then I envisioned. It didn't hit me nearly as hard emotionally as it did after I read it. Also, I think I spent a good third of the episode trying to hold back laughter after hearing Rickon speak more than three sentences in a scene. I liked the execution of Jon's scene at the wall and the Arya's interaction with the hound. But I think this episode is uneven.

After reading the reaction on twitter, I realize that maybe I'm just a numb, uncaring A-hole. I still kinda feel that Robb had it coming to him tho.

A Game of Thrones - HBO - Best Novels Ever

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy