[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

A Game of Thrones - HBO - Best Novels Ever
Author Thread
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

5/30/2012  12:12 AM    LAST EDITED: 5/30/2012  12:19 AM
VDesai wrote:I thought the Blackwater was the best episode yet! That was a lot to fit into a TV budget and they did pretty great. Cersei and The Hound were awesome in this episode.

I though that Stannis was straight ruthless. You can see why the dude commands respect despite being a prick. They changed the Hound and Sansa and Tyrion battle scar scenes from the book, but it isn't that big of a deal. I foresee some major cliffhangers with John behind the wall; Daenerys dragon; and the adventures of Arya, Gendry and fat pie boy. I must add that I'm disappointed at how sympathetic this season has made the Lannisters.

Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
AUTOADVERT
VDesai
Alba Posts: 44
Member: #477
USA
5/30/2012  12:19 AM
They also have to play out the scene with Daenerys in House of the Undying with the Warlocks. That's one of the more confusing scenes in the book (I had to go back and re-read it a few times), so will be interesting to see how they play that out here. Ramsay Snow must be on his way to Winterfell soon too...
BigDaddyG

5/30/2012  12:21 AM
VDesai wrote:They also have to play out the scene with Daenerys in House of the Undying with the Warlocks. That's one of the more confusing scenes in the book (I had to go back and re-read it a few times), so will be interesting to see how they play that out here. Ramsay Snow must be on his way to Winterfell soon too...

Have they cast Ramsay Bolton yet? I'm curious how they tie this up with Bran and Rickon's story arc.

Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
VDesai
USA
5/30/2012  12:33 AM
BigDaddyG wrote:
VDesai wrote:They also have to play out the scene with Daenerys in House of the Undying with the Warlocks. That's one of the more confusing scenes in the book (I had to go back and re-read it a few times), so will be interesting to see how they play that out here. Ramsay Snow must be on his way to Winterfell soon too...

Have they cast Ramsay Bolton yet? I'm curious how they tie this up with Bran and Rickon's story arc.

I don't believe they have cast him for season 2, but good old Roose did mention they were sending his bastard there a couple of episodes ago so we'll be seeing him soon. They may not go quite as far with the storyline.

My gut feeling tells me that they won't want to completely leave Tyrion, Jon, Dany and Bran out of season 4 (as it goes in Feast for Crows), so they may be pushing back a few of their storylines. Seems they area also accelerating a handful of storylines to compensate, like Jaime and Brienne.

Peter Dinklage has really emerged as the star of the show (especially with no Sean Bean), so I don't see how they can go for a whole season without him involved in some way. In theory most of Dance with Dragons runs concurrently with Feast, so they will probably merge elements of booth books.

BigDaddyG

5/30/2012  1:46 AM
VDesai wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:

I don't believe they have cast him for season 2, but good old Roose did mention they were sending his bastard there a couple of episodes ago so we'll be seeing him soon. They may not go quite as far with the storyline.

My gut feeling tells me that they won't want to completely leave Tyrion, Jon, Dany and Bran out of season 4 (as it goes in Feast for Crows), so they may be pushing back a few of their storylines. Seems they area also accelerating a handful of storylines to compensate, like Jaime and Brienne.

Peter Dinklage has really emerged as the star of the show (especially with no Sean Bean), so I don't see how they can go for a whole season without him involved in some way. In theory most of Dance with Dragons runs concurrently with Feast, so they will probably merge elements of booth books.

Good point about the books. It's easy to loose track of time with the POV chapters. As good as this battle was, the battles north of the Wall are even more intense. Do you think they'll be able to do as good a job with those scenes as they did with Blackwater.
Markji
Alba Posts: -4
Member: #1673
USA
5/30/2012  1:01 PM
VDesai wrote:I thought the Blackwater was the best episode yet! That was a lot to fit into a TV budget and they did pretty great. Cersei and The Hound were awesome in this episode.

I agree; this was the best by far. George RR Martin gets to write 1 episode each season and this was his for Season 2. He likes the grandeur and also, he vividly brought out each of the main/supporting characters in this episode.

Also, this was the first episode that dealt with actions taking place in only 1 location. Stannis attacking Kings Landing; Tyrion defending King's Landing; Cersei, Joffrey, Sansa, the Hound - and their interactions at King's Landing. No Jon Snow; no Daenerys; no Robb Stark; no Bran. Also, no direwolves.

BigDaddyG wrote:
VDesai wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:

Good point about the books. It's easy to loose track of time with the POV chapters. As good as this battle was, the battles north of the Wall are even more intense. Do you think they'll be able to do as good a job with those scenes as they did with Blackwater.

The House of the Undying scene should also be quite dramatic. Looking forward to it.

The part of Ramsey has, so far, been taken by Theon's 2nd in charge. So maybe Ramsey's character won't be very important in the HBO series or may not even be shown. Just referred to??

The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense. Tom Clancy - author
Markji
USA
6/1/2012  10:48 AM    LAST EDITED: 6/1/2012  11:24 AM
Valar Morghulis! - Title of Episode 10
(All men must die!)

And Episode 10 is an extra 10 minutes. Can't wait!

The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense. Tom Clancy - author
BigDaddyG

6/3/2012  1:47 AM
Markji wrote:Valar Morghulis! - Title of Episode 10
(All men must die!)

And Episode 10 is an extra 10 minutes. Can't wait!

I know. I swing from period of excitement thinking about this episode to moments of disappointment due to the fact this is the last episode. Maybe HBO will start taking 13 episode orders after this season?

BigDaddyG

6/3/2012  10:13 PM
All I've got to say about the season finale is 'Wow'. Things are about to get real behind the wall.
VDesai
USA
6/3/2012  11:51 PM
Wow, those Others sure looked freaky! The season ended quite strongly. They took some elements of Book 3 and put them in this season....I can't believe its already over in 10 episodes. Gonna be hard to wait another year for the next one!
BigDaddyG

6/4/2012  12:19 AM
VDesai wrote:Wow, those Others sure looked freaky! The season ended quite strongly. They took some elements of Book 3 and put them in this season....I can't believe its already over in 10 episodes. Gonna be hard to wait another year for the next one!

Just watched the finale again. I forgot how much I was lmao at the three stooges routine with Tarly, Dolores Edd and Grenn. I'm curious how they handle the battles behind the wall next season season. They did a good job last week, but the entire scope changes when you throw mythical creature into the equation.
But yeah, I don't what I'm going to watch for the next year. It'd be cool if GRRM hastened his pace to the point that he put out a book at the end of each television season.

yellowboy90
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #3538

6/5/2012  2:57 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:
VDesai wrote:Wow, those Others sure looked freaky! The season ended quite strongly. They took some elements of Book 3 and put them in this season....I can't believe its already over in 10 episodes. Gonna be hard to wait another year for the next one!

Just watched the finale again. I forgot how much I was lmao at the three stooges routine with Tarly, Dolores Edd and Grenn. I'm curious how they handle the battles behind the wall next season season. They did a good job last week, but the entire scope changes when you throw mythical creature into the equation.
But yeah, I don't what I'm going to watch for the next year. It'd be cool if GRRM hastened his pace to the point that he put out a book at the end of each television season.

I am not someone that is all up in arms about the show straying from the book but I think it would have been better to show the others come up the fist at night. I get that the changes keep even the readers guessing but sometimes you just want to see the exact scenes from the books come to life. Anyway, my favorite scene was the speech or at the end when he got knocked over the head. lol. It sucks to be Theon.

VDesai
USA
6/5/2012  10:14 PM
The one thing I can actually say I disliked was the characterization of Qhorin Halfhand. He is one of the most badass characters in the books, and his whole angle with Jon played out in a rather quick and confusing fashion. I mean, if you didn't read the books, would you know what Qhorin was doing when he fought with Jon and for what purpose? He seemed more crusty old man than badass ranger.
Markji
USA
6/6/2012  8:05 AM    LAST EDITED: 6/6/2012  10:58 AM
yellowboy90 wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:

I am not someone that is all up in arms about the show straying from the book but I think it would have been better to show the others come up the fist at night. I get that the changes keep even the readers guessing but sometimes you just want to see the exact scenes from the books come to life. Anyway, my favorite scene was the speech or at the end when he got knocked over the head. lol. It sucks to be Theon.

It was a fun season - slower until the Blackwater battle in episode 9. Episode 10 was a good wrap-up of all the different story lines. I'm glad they put in Jaquen's face change and the coin. This means that Arya will continue her adventures in a somewhat similar way as the book. She is one of my favorite characters in the book and the young actress playing Arya is doing a fabulous job.

GRRM probably will not hasten his writing of Book 6. He is notoriously slow and also likes partying and conventions too much. He stated in an article in Sports Illustrated:.

SI: ..... If you had to bet, which will happen first: Your next book is published? Or your Jets win a Super Bowl?

MARTIN: Probably my next book.

SI: You sound defeated.

MARTIN: I have to have the next book out in less than five years. And I think the Jets have taken a step back.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/magazine/05/30/george.rr.martin/index.html

5 more freaking years. It has already been a year since Book 5 came out.

Re: Changes from the books.
In season 1 I was shocked when there were so many changes and they added scenes that weren't even in the books. Season 2 had more changes but I got used to it and the changes usually lead to the same ending. Ex. Rob not marrying a Frey, but another lady. Although he didn't marry Jeyne Westerling like he did in the books, it will have the same result. Doreah, Dany's handmaiden died in the red waste in the books. They eliminated her differently in Episode 10, but she is gone - locked up in the vault.

One character they changed is Shae. I like her better in the HBO series than in the books. Hopefully that change will continue into next season.

Re: Theon. Yep. I agree. "It sucks to be Theon."

Valar Morghulis!

ChuckBuck
Alba Posts: 11
Member: #3806
USA
6/6/2012  11:06 AM
Buy the Iron Throne for the absurdly low amount of $30,000 and $1,800 shipping charge!!!

http://store.hbo.com/detail.php?p=373634&SESSID=2ddc72a57eb4df9623c961b30513d38f&v=hbo

Paladin55
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #2098

6/6/2012  2:32 PM
ChuckBuck wrote:Buy the Iron Throne for the absurdly low amount of $30,000 and $1,800 shipping charge!!!

http://store.hbo.com/detail.php?p=373634&SESSID=2ddc72a57eb4df9623c961b30513d38f&v=hbo

Does this come with the massage function?

Looks like the cup holder is being sold separately as an option.

I'm waiting for the next version.

No man is happy without a delusion of some kind. Delusions are as necessary to our happiness as realities- C.N. Bovee
BigDaddyG

6/7/2012  12:47 AM
VDesai wrote:The one thing I can actually say I disliked was the characterization of Qhorin Halfhand. He is one of the most badass characters in the books, and his whole angle with Jon played out in a rather quick and confusing fashion. I mean, if you didn't read the books, would you know what Qhorin was doing when he fought with Jon and for what purpose? He seemed more crusty old man than badass ranger.

I thought they got the plot through well enough. It's just that the show likes to make Jon to look dumber than he is in the books. They did the same thing to Ned in season one. I am a little disappointed at the way the writers are depicting Stannis. Yeah, he was awesome in Blackwater, but for the most point he's been depicted as an adulterous, whining prick. I think in the books, they allude to the fact that it was Stannis's wife that brought Mel into their lives and it seems that she know that Stannis is piping the witch out. Also, without the crazy jester (I forget his name) and Shireen, it's impossible to see just how depressing Dragonstone is and why Stannis would take it as a slight when Robert sent him there.

A quick question for the board. That line Cersei throws to Pycelle about watching the steps because they're long or whatever? Was that line actually used by Stannis on his maester durng one of the book prologues? My books are in storage and I can't get to them readily, but it sounded familiar for some reason.

VDesai
USA
6/7/2012  10:02 AM
I just think that without the background of having read the book, would anyone really understand the Halfhand made a sacrifice there and was planning with Jon? Or do you watch what happened there and do you think Jon is a youthful idiot who just killed an old man?

You are right about Stannis too- its hard to get his motivations the way he has been characterized.

Markji
USA
6/7/2012  7:27 PM
VDesai wrote:I just think that without the background of having read the book, would anyone really understand the Halfhand made a sacrifice there and was planning with Jon? Or do you watch what happened there and do you think Jon is a youthful idiot who just killed an old man?

You are right about Stannis too- its hard to get his motivations the way he has been characterized.

It was a little confusing. The entire series is much easier to follow if one has read the books. With Quorin, he mentioned to Jon earlier, maybe episode 8, that it would be very beneficial if Jon were able to win the trust of the wildlings. Jon said he didn't think it possible as they would see thru it. While in the book Quorin tells Jon to kill him to win the trust of the wildlings, it wasn't so clear in the HBO series. Still people love the series without knowing all of the sub-plots and intricacies from the books.

They also changed and cut the House of the Undying intricacies. The visions and prophesies from the book weren't there. Instead, we see Dany first in the Iron Throne hall in King's Landing with snow falling everywhere. Looks like Winter has come. Next she is at the Wall and passing thru the gate. Lastly she is with Kal Drogo and her son. I am guessing that these are the prophesies Dany will encounter later in the series. Do you think people picked up on this? or maybe I'm wrong?

VDesai
USA
6/7/2012  10:39 PM
They developed Dany's stories as a whole more slowly. I think its because she dissapears in Feast for Crows and they wanted to drag her story on a little longer so she can appear in all seasons.
A Game of Thrones - HBO - Best Novels Ever

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy