[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Please Donnie, Cut The Ridiculous, Elaborate Pre Game Introductions
Author Thread
misterearl
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #799
USA
11/9/2009  5:20 PM
knicks1248 - watch the silly thing tonight. Then listen for how the obnoxious hype saps any remaining energy from the home crowd

"During Showtime there wasn’t much flash going on with their introductions. Although, I must say that I enjoy the simplicity of these intros much more than I do some of the highly obnoxious pre-game displays we see today.

"Kind of sad to see how electric of a place the Garden used to be. The rabid New York City fans, the Knicks Garden theme ("Drive" by Edd Kalehoff), and Mike Walcheski had that place rocking. The mediocre Knicks now come out to some generic hip-hop music. Maybe the Knicks would start to win again if they went back to the old music? Actually, I don’t even think that magical theme could help that squad. These old Garden intros are so good, I think I might have to throw up another one just for fun. I especially love how Walcheski says “Paaaa-trick Ewing”."

Excellent Source Video here

http://jonesonthenba.com/2008/08/evolution-of-nba-player-introductions.html

once a knick always a knick
AUTOADVERT
BasketballJones
Alba Posts: 19
Member: #290
USA
11/9/2009  5:45 PM
I think it would be cool and refershing if the Knicks went "old school" with the player intros. I agree with Earl that there's nothing about the team as it is now that warrants an over-the-top celebration during the introduction. Maybe on the night they wear those retro-uniforms they can do away with the music and the videos, and really go old school.
https:// It's not so hard.
knicks1248
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #582
11/9/2009  6:16 PM
BasketballJones wrote:I think it would be cool and refershing if the Knicks went "old school" with the player intros. I agree with Earl that there's nothing about the team as it is now that warrants an over-the-top celebration during the introduction. Maybe on the night they wear those retro-uniforms they can do away with the music and the videos, and really go old school.

They need to play hard like the old school. forget the introductions, at this point no one cares about a guy shooting 30% from the field

ES
Bippity10
Member: #574
11/10/2009  9:45 AM
It's embarassing. In the video there are clips of Al and DLee clutching basketballs and staring into the camera like they are going to kill someone. In reality we know that no matter how intense they look in taht video, they are going to be down 20 before the 1st quarter ends.
I just hope that people will like me
misterearl
USA
11/10/2009  10:41 AM
bippity - thank you for breaking down the pre-game video. From the broadcast of the Cavs game all I could tell was that it ran too long and had absolutely no connection with the product on the floor.

Turn the house lights back up and get on with it.

Win a few games and I might spring for one spotlight in February. Maybe.

oohah
Member: #887
11/10/2009  10:50 AM
I always have and always will hate the elaborate, hokey, bush-league introductions that the Knicks and other NBA teams do these days. Regardless of whether the team is good or not it is still Mickey Mouse. However, it is even worse when the Knicks are possibly the worst team in the league.

I like simple introductions and simple professional PA announcers, John Condon style!

oohah

Good luck Mike D'Antoni, 'cause you ain't never seen nothing like this before!
Bippity10
Member: #574
11/10/2009  12:13 PM
oohah wrote:I always have and always will hate the elaborate, hokey, bush-league introductions that the Knicks and other NBA teams do these days. Regardless of whether the team is good or not it is still Mickey Mouse. However, it is even worse when the Knicks are possibly the worst team in the league.

I like simple introductions and simple professional PA announcers, John Condon style!

oohah

+1

I just hope that people will like me
orangeblobman
Member: #2539
Nauru
11/10/2009  12:15 PM
ultimately it is a part of a greater trend of the commercialization of pro sports and subsequent demise in product quality versus the rise in product showmanship. the nba, in 10 years, will be a shadow of its former self just as it has been every decade since, as referenced to the previous decade. luckily, we won't know or care, because that's the only product our kids will know..and so we will follow.
WE AIN'T NOWHERE WITH THIS BUM CHOKER IN CARMELO. GIVE ME STARKS'S 2-21 ANY DAY OVER THIS LACKLUSTER CLUSTEREFF.
Marv
Alba Posts: 69
Member: #315
11/10/2009  1:30 PM
wow. u guys are being more than a little old farty about all this. do you hate the internet and cellphones too? it's all part of change, it's not the end of the world. when i go to a knick game i'm not paying attention to this crap, i'm focused on the excellent display of basketball in front of me.
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
11/10/2009  1:36 PM
Marv wrote:wow. u guys are being more than a little old farty about all this. do you hate the internet and cellphones too? it's all part of change, it's not the end of the world. when i go to a knick game i'm not paying attention to this crap, i'm focused on the excellent display of basketball in front of me.

and by excellent display of basketball you mean this, right?

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
misterearl
USA
11/10/2009  2:13 PM
The Answer Man Digs His iPhone

Q. Marv wow. u guys are being more than a little old farty about all this. do you hate the internet and cellphones too?

A. Not at all Marvin. If the Knicks were sincere about leveraging the power of new media they would have created innovative products focused on winning basketball games. Think of it this way, if Eddy Curry had an iPhone app like Chad Ochocinco, we could have monitored his off season training program and insured his butt was in the gym by demanding visual evidence.

Just for the record, the city (cough) dancer in the bottom photo, to the far left, most definitely deserves her own .99 iPhone app.

oohah
11/10/2009  2:19 PM    LAST EDITED: 11/10/2009  2:20 PM
Marv wrote:wow. u guys are being more than a little old farty about all this.

Marv. Nobody loves Tits N' Ass more than me. I just think the whole "every team has dancers" doesn't work for the Knicks. They aren't very good. Why even have them dance? Maybe they could just jump rope? I am just looking at the shakage anyway. The New York Knicks Double Dutch girls!

I would prefer that they came out in string bikinis and made conversation with a few lucky guys in the audience. Now that is entertainment!

oohah

jimimou
Alba Posts: 36
Lame Alba Posts: 1
Member: #681
USA
11/10/2009  2:21 PM
oohah wrote:
Marv wrote:wow. u guys are being more than a little old farty about all this.

Marv. Nobody loves Tits N' Ass more than me. I just think the whole "every team has dancers" doesn't work for the Knicks. They aren't very good. Why even have them dance? Maybe they could just jump rope? I am just looking at the shakage anyway. The New York Knicks Double Dutch girls!

I would prefer that they came out in string bikinis and made conversation with a few lucky guys in the audience. Now that is entertainment!
oohah

wait - are you still talking about the dancers here or the team?

oohah
11/10/2009  2:22 PM
jimimou wrote:
wait - are you still talking about the dancers here or the team?

Well, considering I wrote Tits N' Ass I guess we could be talking about Curry, but he is a little on the thick side for my taste...

oohah

BasketballJones
USA
11/10/2009  2:58 PM    LAST EDITED: 11/10/2009  3:00 PM
Marv wrote:wow. u guys are being more than a little old farty about all this. do you hate the internet and cellphones too? it's all part of change, it's not the end of the world. when i go to a knick game i'm not paying attention to this crap, i'm focused on the excellent display of basketball in front of me.

Is every "change" for the better? I remember when New Yorkers were aware of their surroundings, knew where they were going, and did so quickly. Now too many are wandering around like idiots with cellphones attached to their ears. They don't care if they're in the way. They stop suddenly at the top or bottom of a flight of stairs to use their phones or text, not caring if there's a whole crowd of people behind them. Progress? BAH!

Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
11/10/2009  5:01 PM
The pre game introductions is purely for the fans, not for the team. The players like it, but it's to entertain the fans. Believe it or not, the crazier the hoopla NBA arenas give (Before and throughout the game), the more it shows how boring the fans are. Literally. There was once a time when fans didn't need the jumbotron or the announcer to tell them when to chant "De-fense". Now, the fans hardly cheer during the intros, and that's why the Knicks announcer now says "Stand up and get loud."

Am I a fan of it? Most of it is kind of out of hand, but a little of it scattered is cool. For example, the garden should always keep that organ. However, there is a point when it's overkill though.

Hate to say it though. It's not going to stop. As long as the season ticket subscribers approve, then the craziness will remain.

“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
BasketballJones
USA
11/10/2009  5:20 PM
Allanfan20 wrote:The pre game introductions is purely for the fans, not for the team. The players like it, but it's to entertain the fans. Believe it or not, the crazier the hoopla NBA arenas give (Before and throughout the game), the more it shows how boring the fans are. Literally. There was once a time when fans didn't need the jumbotron or the announcer to tell them when to chant "De-fense". Now, the fans hardly cheer during the intros, and that's why the Knicks announcer now says "Stand up and get loud."

Am I a fan of it? Most of it is kind of out of hand, but a little of it scattered is cool. For example, the garden should always keep that organ. However, there is a point when it's overkill though.

Hate to say it though. It's not going to stop. As long as the season ticket subscribers approve, then the craziness will remain.

There's a bit of a feedback loop there. The more you infantilize the fans by constantly guiding their every move, the more helpless and in need of artificial aids they become.

oohah
11/10/2009  5:23 PM
I would like to see fart noises introduced into the sound effects repertoire.

oohah

Marv
Alba Posts: 69
Member: #315
11/10/2009  6:00 PM
oohah wrote:I would like to see fart noises introduced into the sound effects repertoire.

oohah

sit next to fish at a game and you can check that box.

misterearl
USA
11/26/2009  8:17 PM
Livin For The Weekend

Denver on Friday and then Orlando on Sunday. The Knicks return to MSG December 1, against the Phoenix Suns, and could easily bring home a 3-14 record.

If the house lights dim, loud music starts, lights start flashing, the intro video plays and the public address announcer tells you to, "stand and cheer your New York Knicks" there is only one left thing to do...

Please Donnie, Cut The Ridiculous, Elaborate Pre Game Introductions

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy