[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Wilson Chandler Poll

Author Poll
BasketballJones
Member: #290
USA
What do you think of Wilson Chandler now?
Future Superstar
Future Star
Future Good Player
Future Role Player
View Results

Author Thread
Bippity10
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #574
1/6/2009  8:52 AM
It's all open to interpretation according to your own definition of "star", "role player" etc. To me a star is someone that leads their team into the playoffs and beyond on a regular basis. Players that give their team a chance to win nightly simply by being on the court. Guys that can change the fortunes of any organization in basketball just by signing with them. To me the term star is reserved for players like Kobe and Lebron and Timmy etc. I don't consider guys like marbs or Allan Houston or John Starks, "stars". Very good players but not "stars". Somebody else may think that if you average 18 points and 8 rebounds and a block a game then you are a "star". We'd both be happy with these types of numbers from Chandler but our definition of if he will be a "star" could be very different.

[Edited by - bippity10 on 06-01-2009 08:55 AM]
I just hope that people will like me
AUTOADVERT
Markji
Alba Posts: -4
Member: #1673
USA
1/6/2009  9:03 AM
Posted by Bippity10:

It's all open to interpretation according to your own definition of "star", "role player" etc. To me a star is someone that leads their team into the playoffs and beyond on a regular basis. Players that give their team a chance to win nightly simply by being on the court. Guys that can change the fortunes of any organization in basketball just by signing with them. To me the term star is reserved for players like Kobe and Lebron and Timmy etc. I don't consider guys like marbs or Allan Houston or John Starks, "stars". Very good players but not "stars". Somebody else may think that if you average 18 points and 8 rebounds and a block a game then you are a "star". We'd both be happy with these types of numbers from Chandler but our definition of if he will be a "star" could be very different.

I would put Kobe, LeBron, Duncan in the "SuperStar" category.

The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense. Tom Clancy - author
Bippity10
1/6/2009  9:06 AM
Posted by Markji:
Posted by Bippity10:

See, it's all up to interpretation. That's why this poll will solve nothing. We on this board will always be at war over Wilson
Markji
Alba Posts: -4
Member: #1673
USA
1/6/2009  9:17 AM
Posted by Bippity10:
Posted by Markji:
Posted by Bippity10:

See, it's all up to interpretation. That's why this poll will solve nothing. We on this board will always be at war over Wilson
I like Chandler a lot and think he is a piece for the future Knicks. Not a super-star. Could rise to be a star, or near star. But we still need a "Super-star" to have any hope of a championship or at least an Eastern Championship. And even then, it takes a lot more. Toronto has Chris Bosh, a superstar, but Toronto has a slightly worse record than us.

The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense. Tom Clancy - author
Solace
Alba Posts: 20
Member: #479
USA
1/6/2009  9:42 AM
I'm cautiously optimistic. I don't think he'll be a star, though. Probably somewhere between good player and role player.
Cosmic
Alba Posts: 27
Member: #1115
USA
1/6/2009  10:00 AM
Posted by franco12:

Really, third season?

Steve & Chauncy might disagree with you there:

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/steve_nash/career_stats.html

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/chauncey_billups/career_stats.html

Extreme rarities. If you want to apply that to Wilson then you gotta say it applies to every single player in the entire NBA and we know that's simply not true.

Besides, both Nash and Billups did show signs they could be good players they just did not put it together until later - which again - are extremely rare cases.

The norm seems to hold true on player who are going to be stars. By their third year, they're doing it, and in a BIG way. So that's a legit window to hold players to.

Posted by Bippity10:

This post just goes to prove that everyone hatts Willson

As long as it's done with racist fervor then it's okay.
http://popcornmachine.net/ A must-use tool for NBA stat junkies!
Ira
Member: #91
1/6/2009  10:45 AM
I agree with what Mark and Bip are saying about the need to be more specific when you use the term star - which is why I said borderline all star. I see the Mayor as developing into a player who's on the level (although his game may be different) of Starks or Sprewell or Houston or Oakley. Not a top tier star, but a significant starter who's a strong asset to the team.
BasketballJones
Alba Posts: 19
Member: #290
USA
1/6/2009  10:49 AM
Posted by Bippity10:

This poll serves to smoke out the hatters.

[Edited by - basketballjones on 01-06-2009 10:49]
https:// It's not so hard.
Bippity10
1/6/2009  11:03 AM
Posted by Ira:

I agree with what Mark and Bip are saying about the need to be more specific when you use the term star - which is why I said borderline all star. I see the Mayor as developing into a player who's on the level (although his game may be different) of Starks or Sprewell or Houston or Oakley. Not a top tier star, but a significant starter who's a strong asset to the team.

Nothing wrong with that type of player
misterearl
Member: #799
USA
1/6/2009  12:27 PM
Float Like A Butterfly, Sting Like A Bee

The absolutely, positively best feature of The Mayor is not his unusual skill-set or the fact that he is statistically even with where Kobe was at the same stage of his career. No, my brothers..

The best, overlooked quality that makes The Mayor worthy of your consideration as a prime candidate for stardom is his quiet demeanor and miniscule ego. He is the rare person who does not look to assert himself on the game but who works within the context set before him by the head coach.

Kobe, on the other hand, imposed his supersized ego on the Lakers and had to gradually learn to pull back trust his running partners. It had to be HIS team. Not Shaq's. A star is born, but that star was a bit selfish.

The Mayor is a man of the people.

Chandler is working to improve, not for individual glory, but for the collective success of the franchise. How can anyone claim that watching him find his voice with the predictible stumbling baby steps, is not a thing of beauty?

If he must be convinced to be more aggressive, he does not understand how dominant a player he can be. Among his 31 points against the Celtics how many were forced shots?

Imagine what happens when he discovers he can create space for his shot anytime he wants

once a knick always a knick
Elite
Alba Posts: 23
Member: #510

1/6/2009  3:04 PM
i think he can average 21 ppg... 6rpg.. 2.5 ast... 1.5 steals and 1.5 blocks... pretty damn good. Great "2nd guy".. excellente "3rd guy" on a team
sebstar
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #249
USA
1/6/2009  4:42 PM
How do you vote? A vote button doesnt pop up for me.
My saliva and spit can split thread into fiber and bits/ So trust me I'm as live as it gets. --Royce Da 5'9 + DJ Premier = Hip Hop Utopia
sebstar
USA
1/6/2009  4:43 PM
Posted by Pharzeone:
Posted by Cosmic:
Posted by Pharzeone:

I don't know about all of that but I know he is better than Tyrus Thomas, Yi Jianlian and Joakim Noah without even trying. The crazy man from Chicago via Westchester gets a special nod from pharzeone.

Yes, that's a good start. He's better than absolute overrated TRASH. Gotta start small though I suppose.

I've seen the name Richard Jefferson floated around as a comparison on multiple Knick forums. It's not a bad comparison really. There are similarities there whether we like it or not (man, I hate Jefferson lol..cant stand em, nice game tho).

LOL. I seem to recall how so many posters on here were creaming for those 3 only last year. Now they are thrash. Ah... Too funny.

About to say the same thing Phar.
My saliva and spit can split thread into fiber and bits/ So trust me I'm as live as it gets. --Royce Da 5'9 + DJ Premier = Hip Hop Utopia
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
1/6/2009  4:44 PM
Posted by sebstar:

you don't have full voting privileges... u only get that after ur first Alba post.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
sebstar
USA
1/6/2009  4:48 PM
Posted by TMS:
Posted by sebstar:

you don't have full voting privileges... u only get that after ur first Alba post.

Alright then...you guys are definitely trying to test me and my gangsta. Bro I go to SDSU. STDSU if you want to be specific. The pics I'm coming out with are going to be MY PICS and MY HOES.

[Edited by - sebstar on 01-06-2009 4:49 PM]
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
1/6/2009  4:59 PM
Posted by sebstar:
Posted by TMS:
Posted by sebstar:

Alright then...you guys are definitely trying to test me and my gangsta. Bro I go to SDSU. STDSU if you want to be specific. The pics I'm coming out with are going to be MY PICS and MY HOES.

[Edited by - sebstar on 01-06-2009 4:49 PM]

it's all good, the more the merrier... i appreciate all flavas.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
JrZyHuStLa
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #1241

1/7/2009  5:06 PM
Posted by misterearl:

Float Like A Butterfly, Sting Like A Bee

The absolutely, positively best feature of The Mayor is not his unusual skill-set or the fact that he is statistically even with where Kobe was at the same stage of his career. No, my brothers..

The best, overlooked quality that makes The Mayor worthy of your consideration as a prime candidate for stardom is his quiet demeanor and miniscule ego. He is the rare person who does not look to assert himself on the game but who works within the context set before him by the head coach.

Kobe, on the other hand, imposed his supersized ego on the Lakers and had to gradually learn to pull back trust his running partners. It had to be HIS team. Not Shaq's. A star is born, but that star was a bit selfish.

The Mayor is a man of the people.

Chandler is working to improve, not for individual glory, but for the collective success of the franchise. How can anyone claim that watching him find his voice with the predictible stumbling baby steps, is not a thing of beauty?

If he must be convinced to be more aggressive, he does not understand how dominant a player he can be. Among his 31 points against the Celtics how many were forced shots?

Imagine what happens when he discovers he can create space for his shot anytime he wants

Why are you still comparing Wilson Chandler to Kobe Bryant ? How delusional are you ?
misterearl
USA
1/7/2009  10:41 PM
JrZyHuStLa - please tell me what was inaccurate in what I clearly stated?

[Edited by - misterearl on 01-07-2009 10:42 PM]
JrZyHuStLa
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #1241

1/8/2009  12:07 PM
Posted by misterearl:

JrZyHuStLa - please tell me what was inaccurate in what I clearly stated?

[Edited by - misterearl on 01-07-2009 10:42 PM]

You stated Kobe needed to be "the man", which is true. But don't you think he has proved that he deserves to have that title ?

What Kobe demands from the organization and his teammates has nothing to do with the progress of Wilson Chandler, your comparisons are ridiculous.
misterearl
USA
1/8/2009  1:21 PM
JrZyHuStLa - allow me to clarify what may be a simple misinterpretation of the two comments. First, I never made a value judgement on whether Kobe deserved to be the man. I was simply stating it from the perspective of measuring the size of his ego.

Second, there is no comparison of Kobe's progress to Chandler's progress either stated or implied. That was your take. For you to label an imagined statement as ridiculous, may indicate more about your reading comprehension.

What I wrote was the followiing, "(Chandler) is statistically even with where Kobe was at the same stage of his career."

That is a fact.

I was comparing The Mayor's (cool) selfless demeanor - to the more individually focused (egotistical) playing personality of Kobe. There was absolutely no claim of The Mayor BEING Kobe, but an assessment based on the theory that as Chandler's personality evolves - his game will also evolve.

Confidence.
Wilson Chandler Poll

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy