[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

the Boxing Corner
Author Thread
ARES
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #406
7/11/2003  8:42 AM
This is the new thread on getting your face punched in.

boxing fans yall know LETS GET IT ON!

here is a article from max boxing.

Mayorga Talks the Talk, Forrest Walks the Walkout
by Michael Katz (July 11, 2003)
Photo © Tom Hogan
Give us your feedback

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
LAS VEGAS, July 10 - Vernon Forrest continued his silent treatment of the press today and walked out of the ritual final press conference for Saturday's rematch with Ricardo Mayorga.

"I would like to apologize to Don King and to the media," said Forrest from the podium at a large Orleans hotel ballroom, "but I really don't want to answer any questions."

Speaking without anger, he said "this fight is so, so important to me, I wanted real concentration."

Mayorga, who shocked the boxing world when he knocked out Forrest in the third round of their welterweight title unification bout last Jan. 25, called to the 5-2 favorite to come back.

"It's a shame that he left," said the Nicaraguan. "In the first fight I took away his title, but the belt I won is garbage, it doesn't mean anything to me. This time, I'm going to take his wife and take her back home so she can sweep up my backyard."

Forrest's wife, like Lennox Lewis's children that Mike Tyson was going to eat, does not exist. He is unmarried.

Forrest, whose camp wanted him to break a two-week silence and advised him to "be professional," showed more class in not talking to the press than most fighters do while giving good quote.

He said he had been in training camp since mid-April and was just so focused on Mayorga, who knocked him from the unbeaten ranks in January.

"Just bear with me, I'll talk after the fight Saturday night," he said. "And come Saturday, you're going to see the best fight you will ever see. Trust me, trust me. I am going to do like Joe....er...Namath did that Super Bowl game against the Baltimore Colts. I'm going to guarantee I win."

Al Mitchell, Forrest's Olympic coach who returned to the corner for the big upset of Sugar Shane Mosley in 2002 and is still assisting head trainer Ronnie Shields, said before the formal start of the press conference that there would be no wild exchanges early.

Shields had advised Forrest, after the first and second rounds, to stand in close to Mayorga, so the Nicaraguan's wide punches would sail harmlessly by. This time, said Mitchell, the idea will be for Forrest to stay outside for the first few rounds, behind his fine jab, "and take him into deep water."

Mayorga, who bragged again about smoking cigarettes, said any viewers who wanted should light up.

"Before the fourth puff, Forrest's mother will be picking him up from the canvas," he said.

Despite one of the finest cards, top to bottom, in years, very few writers have been attracted for Forrest not to answer. Only three were here today from out of town. Tim Smith of the New York Daily News approached Forrest before the formal start and, after being politely told there would be no interviews afterward, left early. Dan Rafael of USA Today was irked.

"Thanks for nothing," he told Forrest as the fighter walked by him on his way to the exit.

Steve Hummer, of Forrest's hometown paper, the Atlanta Constitution, said he had no trouble since he had interviewed the
fighter during training camp.

About two weeks ago, Forrest returned a call from Maxboxing's aged columnist and granted an interview.

NOTES TO YOU: Don King said Mike Tyson, expected here by his buddy Zab Judah, would be more than welcome at the fights. "I have nothing against Mike," said King, who does have a $110 million countersuit against the former heavyweight champion, who first sued the promoter for $100 million....Odds dropped about a dime each on Judah, still almost 5-2 man to man to dethrone DeMarcus (Chop Chop) Corley in a WBO junior welterweight bout. Same with Forrest, still chalk against Mayorga. There was a bigger drop, from 7-1 to less than 5-1 on Vivian Harris, who defends his WBA slice of the 140-pound crown against Souleymane M'Baye of France....Lou Del Valle, former light-heavy titlist, withdrew from his scheduled 12-round WBA 175-pound eliminator with Manny Siaca Jr. Word was sciatica, or maybe it was siaca nerve....Syd Vanderpool, who was slated to face Demetrius Jenkins in prelim, takes over vs. Siaca, a former 168-pound belt holder, but bout is now set for ten rounds, not 12, and is not an eliminator....I bet Siaca, got plus $2.30, when he was to have faced Del Valle. Went to Orleans sports book to get my money back - would have taken my Siaca money and bet on Vanderpool, except there was no line for that fight. Not surprising. Was told, when my Siaca bet was returned, that it was the complete total of all the action taken on the original matchup....Mayorga once again offered to bet $100,000 on his fight with any writer, but most of us had left our expense accounts in other suits. Stan Hoffman, the fight manager, turned to his kid, Vanderpool, and said, "Loan me $99,000 and I'll bet the guy."

NEW YORK, NEW YORK BIG CITY OF DREAMS, BUT EVERYTHING IN NEW YORK AINT ALWAYS WHAT IT SEEMS
AUTOADVERT
prodson
Member: #395
Colombia
7/11/2003  1:04 PM
funny you should mention a boxing corner because a couple weeks ago i was checking out the press conference fight between laila ali and christy martin.

i see the women know how to sell tickets too
all those years as a fan and now i'm the anti-knick. life is crazy aint it.
Pike
Member: #403
7/13/2003  9:57 PM
We need to talk about this fight on Monday.
Pike
7/14/2003  11:40 AM
So ARES... talk to me about the fight... what did you think?
necrom33
Member: #234
USA
7/14/2003  12:23 PM
Posted by Pike:

So ARES... talk to me about the fight... what did you think?

I ain't Ice, but I'll tell you what I thought. It sucked. That wasn't boxing Mayorga was doing. Hell, it was barely brawling. "Mugging" would be more like it.
It was great drama, tho, which I guess boxing is in sore need of right now. I also thought the decision was swayed by all the haymakers this guy threw. I thought Forrest won the last three rounds.
Pike
7/14/2003  12:34 PM
I'm sure you guys aren't going to agree with me but, this is how I saw it... Moyorga winning rounds 2-6... 10, 11 and 12... 12 being the only one questionable, in my opinion. Forrest winning rounds 1, 7, 8, and 9.

116-112... Mayorga.

Forrest came back admirably though to make it relatively close, once he listened to his corner and started jabbing... he just dug himself too much of a hole and Mayorga proved to be in excellent shape. Mayorga might look like he just got off a banana boat but, he's just what boxing needs... say what you will, the dude's exciting.
ARES
7/14/2003  12:35 PM
you know me pike, i'm more into the sweet science chess matches that type of fight.

i like mayogra attitude, he is a beast but the fight was trash.

i watched it twice and mayogra missed a lot of those hay makers. Vernon caught him clean more often but didn't have anmore power,his legs went mark breland on him. Vernon just look like a clown some times when he did get hit, even if it was on his glove.

Vernon made a huge tactical mistake not going to the body, mayogra fights in spurts and vernon could of sapped the gas tank.

when i think of the 80's i think of hagler,hearns,leonard,duran,benitez,pryor none of these guys with the exception of jones, hopkins,some fights Toney and maybe the Ricky martin clone could wear there jock strap.
NEW YORK, NEW YORK BIG CITY OF DREAMS, BUT EVERYTHING IN NEW YORK AINT ALWAYS WHAT IT SEEMS
necrom33
USA
7/14/2003  12:39 PM
Posted by Pike:

I'm sure you guys aren't going to agree with me but, this is how I saw it... Moyorga winning rounds 2-6... 10, 11 and 12... 12 being the only one questionable, in my opinion. Forrest winning rounds 1, 7, 8, and 9.

116-112... Mayorga.

Forrest came back admirably though to make it relatively close, once he listened to his corner and started jabbing... he just dug himself too much of a hole and Mayorga proved to be in excellent shape. Mayorga might look like he just got off a banana boat but, he's just what boxing needs... say what you will, the dude's exciting.

I don't keep a scorecard, but if I did, I would've had Forrest winning 10 thru 12. I thought he landed a lot more clean shots than Mayorga in the latter rounds. A lot of Mayorga's punches landed on Forrest's forearms or gloves, IMO. But... they looked hard and I think they swayed the judges.
Pike
7/14/2003  12:42 PM
ARES, I couldn't agree with you more... boxing in a free fall from the good ole days... also agree on Vernon not having legs and making a mistake not going to the body.

As far as the Judah, Corley fight... this is all I have to say

As bad as that fight was, the only item of intrigue was how it was possible the one judge scored it for Corley. That was surreal.

p.s. from what we heard... Lewis is going to fight Russian stiff again... won't be fat and will kill him and might retire... leaving Roy out in the cold... to which I respond... NONSENSE, no way Lewis is going to leave that MEGA payday on the table.

[Edited by - Pike on 07/14/2003 12:43:35]
ARES
7/14/2003  12:43 PM
hamed was exciting too but neither guy is good, but they are strong, but guys like that dont last, i like mayogra tho, but he has no skills, that can last some fights but it wont last long.
Pike
7/14/2003  12:46 PM
In spite of , with all the $$$ in boxing, I'm surprised more young kids aren't in the gym preparing for a "pot of gold". Seems to me there's a lot less competition in boxing than basketball and most of the other sports.
necrom33
USA
7/14/2003  12:47 PM
Posted by Pike:

In spite of , with all the $$$ in boxing, I'm surprised more young kids aren't in the gym preparing for a "pot of gold". Seems to me there's a lot less competition in boxing than basketball and most of the other sports.

Nah, kids today ain't for settling things with their fists, like we used to do, Pike.
Pike
7/14/2003  12:49 PM
Hey, speak for yourself... I'm a lover, not a fighter.... though I kicked Freddy Herman's azz in the eighth grade.

Crom, you know you're my man but, no way Forrest won rounds 10 and 11.
Pike
7/14/2003  12:50 PM
You gotta admit another thing... Forrest definitely let Moyorga intimidate him during the first half of the fight.
necrom33
USA
7/14/2003  12:53 PM
Posted by Pike:

Hey, speak for yourself... I'm a lover, not a fighter.... though I kicked Freddy Herman's azz in the eighth grade.

Crom, you know you're my man but, no way Forrest won rounds 10 and 11.

I think the questionable one is Round 10, where Mayorga wobbled Forrest, but Forrest finished the round strong. I think in 11 and 12, most of Mayorga's punches were haymakers that either flat out missed, or struck harmlessly against Forrest's gloves or forearms. The fact that Vernon kept losing his balance and stumbling all over the place didn't help, tho.
necrom33
USA
7/14/2003  12:53 PM
Posted by Pike:

You gotta admit another thing... Forrest definitely let Moyorga intimidate him during the first half of the fight.

No doubt. Intimidated the hell out of him.
Pike
7/14/2003  12:55 PM
Like ARES, I tend to like the art of boxing. Having said this, I don't know how anyone can justify that Forrest deserved to win that fight.
ARES
7/14/2003  1:31 PM
Im 30 pike and had i know what i know now i would of fought, problem is i am too good looking at 23 i would of sacrificed for the money but now i will find another way to make money.
necrom33
USA
7/14/2003  1:35 PM
Posted by Pike:

Like ARES, I tend to like the art of boxing. Having said this, I don't know how anyone can justify that Forrest deserved to win that fight.

Honestly, I don't think Forrest won the fight; but I wouldn't have considered a draw an unfair decision, which would've left Mayorga with the title anyway. And if Vernon would've won on points, I wouldn't have disagreed either.

I just don't see it as 116-112 Mayorga which one judge had it as, same as you.
Pike
7/14/2003  1:51 PM
Posted by ARES:

Im 30 pike and had i know what i know now i would of fought, problem is i am too good looking at 23 i would of sacrificed for the money but now i will find another way to make money.

Yeah but with all that $$$, believe me, the girls would have found you even more attractive all beaten up.
the Boxing Corner

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy