[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

van gundy with the cavaliers?
Author Thread
Pike
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #403
6/2/2003  11:15 AM
I agree... LeBron James, Davis, Miles... and Van Gundy's slowdown, halfcourt offense? I don't think so....
AUTOADVERT
KARNIVORE
Member: #382
Nigeria
6/2/2003  11:54 AM
Just to make clear, i was informed by my co-workers of that info. I havn't been able to verify it myself yet. If it is true, that is the best fit for JVG !!! He will make sure the ball goes to YAO !!! WHERE IT BELONGS !!!
ALL MEN ARE CREATED EQUAL, BUT THEY ARE NOT TREATED EQUAL !!!
DefAndReb
Member: #336
6/2/2003  1:05 PM
Posted by KARNIVORE:

Just to make clear, i was informed by my co-workers of that info. I havn't been able to verify it myself yet. If it is true, that is the best fit for JVG !!! He will make sure the ball goes to YAO !!! WHERE IT BELONGS !!!

But remember, all this talk of JVG as a half-court offense guy is off the mark. When he got stuck with Spree and Camby as starters, Jeff worked the team out running the ball. He tried to institute a running offense, but Ward kept stopping the flow. If Ward wouldn't listen to JVG, do you really think Steve Francis will?

Ultimately, the coach can only ask Francis to share the ball. It's all really up to Stevie Franchise to learn to play Kidd-style ball. If Francis refuses to feed the ball to Yao, there's nothing JVG can do about it.

Pike
6/2/2003  1:30 PM
Posted by DefAndReb:

But remember, all this talk of JVG as a half-court offense guy is off the mark. When he got stuck with Spree and Camby as starters, Jeff worked the team out running the ball.

VG ran uptempo offense for about twenty minutes during Knicks playoff run when Houston made that shot at buzzer during game five. Camby only got off the pine because of injuries to others and VG stumbled into success, running that year. Inexplicably... he decided not to use again going forward.

VG = slowdown, isolation, halfcourt guy.
KARNIVORE
Nigeria
6/2/2003  3:05 PM
that equals: YAO MING !!!!
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
6/2/2003  3:23 PM
Posted by Pike:
Posted by DefAndReb:

But remember, all this talk of JVG as a half-court offense guy is off the mark. When he got stuck with Spree and Camby as starters, Jeff worked the team out running the ball.

VG ran uptempo offense for about twenty minutes during Knicks playoff run when Houston made that shot at buzzer during game five. Camby only got off the pine because of injuries to others and VG stumbled into success, running that year. Inexplicably... he decided not to use again going forward.

VG = slowdown, isolation, halfcourt guy.

Don't agree with your assessment entirely. To run a up-tempo style game you need an up-tempo PG who can consistently take it to the hole, bring it up quickly after a made basket, create off his own dribble, etc. Who filled that roll on the roster? Ward?

VG saw that too and went with halfcourt.
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
KARNIVORE
Nigeria
6/2/2003  3:26 PM
MARTIN, they give JVG no credit for winning with NOTHING !!!
Pike
6/2/2003  3:59 PM
Martin, Ward can't penetrate now but, in 1999 (I believe) he could. Granted though, not having the right PG does effect a teams ability to run... and one can argue, (as was proven since VG left) that a boring halfcout offense and amazing defense got the most juice out of the lemon called... the Knicks.
playa2
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #407

6/2/2003  4:45 PM
Dunleavy took the Lakers to the NBA Finals and the Trail Blazers to the conference finals twice, while Van Gundy led the Knicks to the 1999 Finals. Hands down Dunleavy wins the job and Vandunce gets back on the M.I.C
JAMES DOLAN on Isiah : He's a good friend of mine and of the organization and I will continue to solicit his views. He will always have strong ties to me and the team.
GoNyGoNyGo
Member: #411
USA
6/3/2003  10:17 AM
I am guessing that now that Portland has given Cheeks premission to talk with Philly, he will go there. That leaves Portland open. JVG will go there like he was supposed to 2 years ago.

KARNIVORE
Nigeria
6/3/2003  10:23 AM
i forgot all about JVG & the PORTLAND job offer !!!
Pike
6/3/2003  10:24 AM
Gony, I don't know what is going on with Portland and Cheeks. Of course, the first report said he was denied permission... then I heard his interview where he said he was glad the Blazers "took the decision out of his hands"... that was the reason I thought the Blazers changed their mind when it was subsequently reported he could talk to Philly but, later, that report was denied and again the word was, he couldn't talk to Philly. I dunno... all I do know is, it's clear to me... he wants to go home to Philly... if so, I have no idea why the Blazers would want to hold onto him under these circumstances.
KARNIVORE
Nigeria
6/3/2003  10:27 AM
PIKE they did give permission to PHILLY to talk to MO. check ESPN.
playa2

6/3/2003  10:43 AM
vandimmy , can't go there carlye will go there 1st. Teams are learning alot about vanstupid once they hear him explain his philosophy in interviews. He's doomed to be on the 'MIC"
JAMES DOLAN on Isiah : He's a good friend of mine and of the organization and I will continue to solicit his views. He will always have strong ties to me and the team.
DefAndReb
Member: #336
6/3/2003  1:27 PM
All I know is, JVG would stand on the side, waving his arms to Ward to "Go, Go!" and Ward would hold up, get into a halfcourt set because he just couldn't move the ball in time, and didn't feel comfortable passing the ball on the break.

JVG quit because the players stopped listening to him, and he was sick of screaming to get them to do what he wanted. I don't see Steve Francis being a good listener to JVG.

I think JVG will end up back with Marv and Czar, less stress, less Diet Coke.
GoNyGoNyGo
Member: #411
USA
6/3/2003  2:20 PM
DEFandReb, I remember that too. I used to watch him always wave his players up the court, but they always slowed it down. You need a PG to run correctly.

AS for what will happen, I think if Cheeks goes to Philly, it will come down to Portland for JVG and Carlisle. Portland wanted JVG 2 years ago. Perhaps they have decided to let Cheeks out because they realize that JVG is still available or maybe it was Carlisle getting canned that got them to allow Cheeks to talk to Philly.

I would be suprised if JVG went there because of his East Coast ties. But then again, if he really wants to coach again, it is a good opportunity. Portland has some good talent out there. Maybe then we could trade them Houston for Zach Randloph and DAle davis!
Pike
6/3/2003  2:30 PM
Posted by GoNyGoNyGo:

Maybe then we could trade them Houston for Zach Randloph and DAle davis!

... don't tease me.
playa2

6/3/2003  2:46 PM
ALL I CAN DO IS READ AND GO TSK TSK TSK TO THE NEWYORK DAILY NEWS GUYS WHO PUT GUNDY AHEAD OF PLAYERS AND UP-TEMPO PHILOSOPHY,sorry for you guys who don't understand this Vandummy critique.
Pike
6/3/2003  2:59 PM
You need to see a professional about this obsession of yours.. I'm starting to feel sorry for you, man.

nah...
necrom33
Member: #234
USA
6/3/2003  3:22 PM
Posted by Pike:
Posted by GoNyGoNyGo:

Maybe then we could trade them Houston for Zach Randloph and DAle davis!

... don't tease me.

c'mon now. JVG escaped from Housless once, why would he take him again?
van gundy with the cavaliers?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy