Author Thread
SupremeCommander
Alba Posts: 35
Member: #1127

10/22/2007  4:16 PM
Posted by VDesai:
Posted by TMS:
Posted by VDesai:

Giants pass rush is freakish. So many big, fast guys coming at you. Justin Tuck might be the most disruptive defensive player in the league so far this year.

Osi bro... he's the best defensive player in football right now... Tuck's going to be great someday & so is Kiwa... Strahan even showing a little gas left in that tank... once Spagnuolo got all 4 of those guys running AT the QB instead of away from him, this defense started to dominate.

You know Osi has only had a sack in 3 of the games. Tuck has been the guy there every game. Not to say Osi isn't great, but Tuck is not only 2nd in the league in sacks (only 1 less than Osi( but he's also top 5 in run stuffs (tackles behind the line of scrimmage 6 vs. Osi's 2). Put those two together and Tuck leads the league in negative yardage tackles by a significant margin. This kid is already right there.

[Edited by - vdesai on 10-22-2007 09:32 AM]

You watch Tuck, you know he's good. Really good. But i ididn't realize he's THAT good. Good stuff
Sambakick wrote: Gives a whole new meaning to "Jazz Hands"
AUTOADVERT
Vmart
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #247
USA
10/22/2007  6:17 PM
The season is becoming sweeter and sweeter. Giants look good vs inferior teams and its good that they are beating up on them the real part of the schedule doesn't start until the bye week. Lets hope they keep the winning going, they are making their way up the power ranking fast. Hope they don't experience a let down in London vs the Dolphins.
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
10/22/2007  11:17 PM
Posted by VDesai:
Posted by TMS:
Posted by VDesai:

Giants pass rush is freakish. So many big, fast guys coming at you. Justin Tuck might be the most disruptive defensive player in the league so far this year.

Osi bro... he's the best defensive player in football right now... Tuck's going to be great someday & so is Kiwa... Strahan even showing a little gas left in that tank... once Spagnuolo got all 4 of those guys running AT the QB instead of away from him, this defense started to dominate.

You know Osi has only had a sack in 3 of the games. Tuck has been the guy there every game. Not to say Osi isn't great, but Tuck is not only 2nd in the league in sacks (only 1 less than Osi( but he's also top 5 in run stuffs (tackles behind the line of scrimmage 6 vs. Osi's 2). Put those two together and Tuck leads the league in negative yardage tackles by a significant margin. This kid is already right there.

i think Osi's just dominant tho unlike anything this team has seen since Strahan was in his prime... maybe moreso in fact the way he's going right now... i've only seen LT have some of the types of games that Osi's had this season... he's making entire teams gameplan for him... that's the definition of domination when u can make teams do that & STILL get your sacks.

no one's gameplanning for Tuck just yet... he's been very consistent this season & there's no doubt he's having an awesome season as well (good stuff on the stats btw)... but still, i don't consider him on the same level as Osi just yet... when he's got teams lining up focusing on trying to stop him, then i might change my mind... but man, how great is it to have this kind of debate on 2 young stud D-Lineman who will anchor this defense for years to come?! add Kiwa into the mix & we're talking 1 of the best pass rushing D-Lines i've seen in my lifetime.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
TMS
USA
10/22/2007  11:19 PM
Posted by Vmart:

The season is becoming sweeter and sweeter. Giants look good vs inferior teams and its good that they are beating up on them the real part of the schedule doesn't start until the bye week. Lets hope they keep the winning going, they are making their way up the power ranking fast. Hope they don't experience a let down in London vs the Dolphins.

DAL will be the true tes... they played them even up in week 1 & almost beat them even when their defense was playing like crap... this is a completely different team now... i think the Giants take that game personally... if they do, then an 11-5 season or better is very realistic IMO when you look at the other games remaining on the schedule.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
SupremeCommander

10/23/2007  2:14 AM
Posted by TMS:
Posted by Vmart:

DAL will be the true tes... they played them even up in week 1 & almost beat them even when their defense was playing like crap... this is a completely different team now... i think the Giants take that game personally... if they do, then an 11-5 season or better is very realistic IMO when you look at the other games remaining on the schedule.

Talk about a massive swing in expectations... you're right, this team is completely different.
TMS
USA
10/23/2007  11:11 PM
i gave them up for dead after week 2, but man, they sure proved me wrong... lovin' every minute of it too.
eViL
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #561
USA
10/28/2007  11:29 AM
LET'S GO GIANTS!!!! F THOSE DOLPHINS UP!!!
check out my latest hip hop project: https://soundcloud.com/michaelcro http://youtu.be/scNXshrpyZo
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
10/28/2007  11:48 AM
this thread is still stickied? martin/andrew, when the regular season rolls around there better be only 2 threads stickied:

1. the game thread for that night
2. the bargnani progress thread
VDesai
Alba Posts: 44
Member: #477
USA
10/28/2007  7:41 PM
Hey it wasn't pretty, but did you see that field? Mud and rain and long plane ride...I'm happy they escaped with the win. 6-2 at the bye was probably about as good as we could've expected, and certainly the best we could've expected after a 0-2 start. This team is very strong on the defensive side of the ball. Hopefully we can get Steve Smith back and hopefully Burress can be 100% healthy after the bye.

Big show down against Dallas after the week off.
TMS
USA
10/28/2007  8:34 PM
DAL will be the measuring stick to see if we're contenders or just pretenders... the Giants have a pretty favorable schedule the rest of the way.
Vmart
Member: #247
USA
10/28/2007  8:37 PM
Just happy to get this win, this had trap written all over it. Playing in England and in the rain just happy that there weren't many injuries from the game.
SupremeCommander

10/29/2007  1:59 AM
There are two ways to looks at this game:
(1) The Giants player a terrible, terrible game and were lucky to win, even against a team as horrible as the Dolphins.
(2) The Giants are now good enough to win when playing terrible football

For now, I'll choose the latter... I hope weather/jet lag were overwhelming factors in this one, because if they play like this against Dallas, Week 1 will look like one of the finer games the Giants played this year.

[Edited by - supremecommander on 10-30-2007 12:58 AM]
blueNorange
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #1413
USA
10/29/2007  9:54 PM
I think that kid Michael Johnson should be the starter over James Buter. From what I've heard, Johnson is very aggressive.
some Knick fans accept mediocrity as excellence .... I don't!
jazz74
Member: #371
10/30/2007  11:26 AM
i agree that this was a typical game that we usually lose and we did well enough to win. we have a bye and then the real tests are coming to end the season starting with a home game against dallas. hard to believe we are among the top teams of our conference with our record but we were there for two years in a row before. however i feel confident that this team will not collapse. i think las year they were embarassed and i hate to admit it but it seems like barber was a cancer in the locker room. the body language of this team is much different than before as they are confident. i also like to be thankful about not having major injuries so far this year ( knock on wood). injuries played a huge part last year especially defense. to make the playoffs is great but i still don't think this is our year yet. in a year or two we will definately be a force to be reckon with the the conference.
VDesai
USA
10/30/2007  11:46 AM
Posted by blueNorange:

I think that kid Michael Johnson should be the starter over James Buter. From what I've heard, Johnson is very aggressive.

Hard to say at this point- from my POV Butler has been slow in coverage and sometimes takes bad angles. But at the same time Coach Spags has pointed out that Butler has done a steady job and fit well with his scheme.

Johnson looks like a real hitter and while he blew a coverage or two vs. SF he also was in good position a couple times. Hard to get any feel for the job he did back there vs. Miami cause they didnt throw downfield much. Still I think he's good going forward at the line and he's got some upside. He was considered to be a better prospect as a jr. and only fell as a senior cause he played the whole year hurt. We were fortunate to get him with a 7th rounder.

Coaches will probably take the bye to evaluate and make the best decision.
TMS
USA
10/30/2007  12:28 PM
Posted by jazz74:

i agree that this was a typical game that we usually lose and we did well enough to win. we have a bye and then the real tests are coming to end the season starting with a home game against dallas. hard to believe we are among the top teams of our conference with our record but we were there for two years in a row before. however i feel confident that this team will not collapse. i think las year they were embarassed and i hate to admit it but it seems like barber was a cancer in the locker room. the body language of this team is much different than before as they are confident. i also like to be thankful about not having major injuries so far this year ( knock on wood). injuries played a huge part last year especially defense. to make the playoffs is great but i still don't think this is our year yet. in a year or two we will definately be a force to be reckon with the the conference.

i don't know about Tiki being a cancer in the lockerroom, but w/o his record breaking performance vs. the Redskins in week 16 last year they don't make the playoffs... i was at that game at Fedex & he was a man on a mission... i think the lockerroom situation has eased up this year because Coughlin took it upon himself to be more personable with the players, & they've responded to it... Strahan was quoted saying just that on ESPN interviews.
VDesai
USA
10/30/2007  1:06 PM
Tiki was always a bit of an undermining figure- he'd act or say one thing and then convey another message to the press. There were a lot of quotes from an "un-named source" last year that went out of their way to bash TC and it could very well have been Barber. This also could've been the reason they let guys like Petigout and Feely go. All these guys were pretty outspoken. And while maybe it sounds like a stretch, don't understimate the effect of losing Ernie Accorsi, who never really liked Coughlin and always found a way to meddle as well. Just take a look at some of the stuff he says in his book. Jerry Reese made some housecleaning moves that were initially unpopular, but you can't argue with the results right now.

Getting everyone on the same page seems to have a profound effect. Giants definitely have better team chemistry this year than they've had in any year since 2002.

[Edited by - vdesai on 10-30-2007 1:06 PM]
TMS
USA
10/30/2007  1:20 PM
i don't doubt that Tiki wasn't happy w/the way Coughlin ran things, but neither were Strahan, Toomer & plenty of other veterans on that team... i think the biggest difference from this year & last is the fact that Coughlin has tried to lighten up a little & the players have responded to it, along w/the obvious contributions of our young up & comers & Spagnuolo's new defensive scheme.
SupremeCommander

10/30/2007  1:25 PM
This made me smile:
Perhaps on any other day, Eli Manning's low passing totals (8-of-22, 59 yards) on Sunday would've meant a defeat. But this was rainy London, the opponents were the woeful Dolphins and the Giants just can't seem to lose right now.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/powerranking?season=2007&week=9
VDesai
USA
10/30/2007  9:57 PM
newsday.com/sports/football/giants/ny-spgchalk1031,0,301516.column
Newsday.com
CHALK TALK
Giants midseason progress report

Arthur Staple

8:14 PM EDT, October 30, 2007

It's time for the midseason awards. Hard to find a lot wrong with a 6-2 team that enters a well-timed bye week on a six-game winning streak, so the envelopes, please:

MVP, offense: Plaxico Burress. Back in training camp, the thinking was that maybe the mercurial receiver was dogging it a bit by missing so much time with a sprained ankle -- not even the ankle from which he had bone fragments removed in the spring. But now, having missed almost every practice since the season began, he's producing at a higher pace than ever. Eight touchdowns (third among NFL receivers), all in the first six games, and he's still Eli Manning's go-to guy.

MVP, defense: Justin Tuck. The third-year end/tackle isn't just a pass rusher, though his seven sacks are second on the team. He's become invaluable by getting the most out of his limited number of snaps, making many plays behind the line of scrimmage from end and from inside. His contract is up after next season. Getting Tuck locked up for the future should be Jerry Reese's top priority.

Most underrated: Jeremy Shockey, the complete player. This isn't just about his Pro Bowl skills as a pass-catcher. We'll get to those in a moment. Shockey has been a terrific blocker at the line this year, a huge reason the Giants have the second-best rushing game in the NFC. Shockey loves to say he'd be perfectly happy never blocking again, but he's probably better at that now.

Most overrated: Shockey, the pass-catcher. He had a couple of critical drops in the first two weeks and, although he's on his usual pace with 31 catches, he's had a few miscommunications with Manning on routes. Shockey is still a viable threat, and teams have to account for him, but he's not the receiving tight end he once was. He'll still make the Pro Bowl thanks to his all-around game, though.

Defining moment: Fourth-and-goal from the 1 in Landover, Md., Sept. 23. Ladell Betts runs left, Aaron Ross blocks the running lane and Tuck grabs Betts' ankle to give the Giants a 24-17 win. Everything was awful up to that week (and into the second half of that game), and everything's been golden since.

Biggest surprise: Michael Strahan. Not necessarily his play, though that has become solid. Osi Umenyiora is getting the glory with eight sacks, but opponents still don't much like running toward Strahan's side. It's more how easily Strahan has slipped back into his leadership role on the defense despite the 36-day holdout through training camp and a book published while he's still playing. The holdout cost him more than $200,000 but no good will in the locker room, and the book is actually entertaining.

Biggest disappointment: Sinorice Moss. Didn't figure to have much of a shot at big playing time when rookie Steve Smith outplayed him in camp for the third wide receiver's spot, but Smith hasn't played in six weeks. Moss has been on the field plenty during the six-game winning streak but has only six catches to show for it. His speed either hasn't been utilized or hasn't presented itself.

Forecast: They've beaten six teams with a combined 11-33 record. A six-game streak is nothing to sneeze at, but the real test begins in 11 days when the Cowboys come calling. Even if the Giants had beaten everyone at the top of the league, they all know how quickly things can break down (last year and to a lesser extent, the year before). Health is the biggest factor in whether the Giants can maintain their run to the end of the season, and they are awfully healthy now. We'll say 11-5 and a home game to start the postseason.

Copyright © 2007, Newsday Inc.
Giants Talk Thread

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy