[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Yankees Talk thread
Author Thread
jrodmc
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #805
USA
8/29/2016  1:54 PM
Can anyone keep playing at Gary the Sanchise's level?

Why do the Yankees always seem to produce some kid that hits homers like a pyscho (obviously not at this level) but then they disappear?
Shane Spenser...Duncan whatever his name was....

AUTOADVERT
y2zipper
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #3287

8/29/2016  5:57 PM
EnySpree wrote:I don't know about all this micro analysis you guys are going back and forth with...

I see youth and desire. I see chemistry. I see a team in better shape for this season then they were before the trades. That's incredible to me.

McCann needs to go... Tex needs to go...Heatley needs to go Asap....

I love the kids we have. They are all in there early to mid twenties. Castro, Gregarious, Torreyes, Refsnyder, Sanchez, Romine, and Bird on the dl... that's a good infield. Guys can really grow together.

The outfield has enough youth as well with Judge, Austin and hicks... ellsbury and Gardner are basically the same player. Still a very promising group. There's potential for power and room to make a deal to improve the farm. With Gardner or Ellsbury trade.

The pitching is there too... Plenty or potential. I'm too excited to micro analyze... the next generation is now man. So much fun

Well Tex is retiring so he'll be out and Bird will probably be in next year.

I don't know if the pitcthing is there but the Yankees can spend money to get that when it pops up again. Tanaka is great and is in the age curve to fit with this team in a few years, but he also has an opt-out after next season and elbow concerns so it might make sense to move him if the parts are right and the Yankees are bad. The Yankees have gotten good starting pitching lately but I'm skeptical if any of it's actually gonna be consistent.

Finestrg
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #1069

8/31/2016  11:43 AM
Wow, a surprisingly nice haul for Nova with the two players to be named later from the Pirates. They turned out to be 23-year-old lefty starter Stephen Tarpley who supposedly throws 94-97 with an above average curve/slider/changeup mix. Could be a guy we develop as a lefty starter or a lefty short man out of the pen eventually. And the 2nd player: 22-year-old OFer Tito Polo. Polo's minor league numbers in A-ball this year look impressive: .289 BA, 17 doubles, 16 homers, 65 RBI, 37 stolen bases. Nice job Cash. Cash is one of the best GMs in the game. Completely undervalued by Yankee fans for a long time. Excellent work!
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
8/31/2016  3:09 PM
Finestrg wrote:Wow, a surprisingly nice haul for Nova with the two players to be named later from the Pirates. They turned out to be 23-year-old lefty starter Stephen Tarpley who supposedly throws 94-97 with an above average curve/slider/changeup mix. Could be a guy we develop as a lefty starter or a lefty short man out of the pen eventually. And the 2nd player: 22-year-old OFer Tito Polo. Polo's minor league numbers in A-ball this year look impressive: .289 BA, 17 doubles, 16 homers, 65 RBI, 37 stolen bases. Nice job Cash. Cash is one of the best GMs in the game. Completely undervalued by Yankee fans for a long time. Excellent work!

Well, somehow things went in a bad direction for at least 5 years. If that's all on the Steinbrenners and not Cashman, fine, but you can't expect the average fan to be that understanding.
Hopefully that ends up being good return for Nova. It sounds promising. Nova's still only 29 and pitching like an ace in Pittsburgh at the moment. He may not continue at that level but I think he'll be a good starter for them.
Finestrg

9/2/2016  11:13 AM    LAST EDITED: 9/2/2016  11:59 AM
Hicks' hamstring issue concerns me. Supposedly went through a battery of tests yesterday (off day) in Baltimore to see how severe. No word yet but with such little time left in the season, he may be done for the year I fear..Sucks because he was getting regular playing time and playing well. I know the Yanks really wanted to get a good long look at him... So I figured, that sucks but we have reinforcements coming up Sept. 1 with Refsnyder (playing real well since being demoted weeks ago) and Ben Gamel as the first two replacement candidates for Hicks (assuming Judge remains the full-time RFer despite his slump), only to see we traded Gamel to Seattle for 2 young minor league pitchers -- Jio Orozco and Juan De Paula. Wow. Gamel was definitely a player -- 2 years in a row now he's played well at AAA SWB--last year winning ROY and this year he was the IL MVP. Hits for avg., good speed, good glove at all 3 OF spots, no big-time HR power as of yet but lots of doubles and triples. Often described as a gamer with a real good feel for it...A little disappointed to see we dealt Gamel. I liked him and wanted to see him play. Here's a write-up giving some perspective on why we made the deal (40-man roster flexibility/a slew of good OF prospects behind Gamel) along with a brief scouting report on Orozco and De Paula (they look promising but are only in rookie ball so they're no where close to coming up any time soon):

http://www.nj.com/yankees/index.ssf/2016/08/yankees_trade_ben_gamel_what_you_should_know_about.html

Onto some real good news -- the Yanks plan on having Greg Bird play in the Arizona Fall League. That's a good sign, man.

http://www.nj.com/yankees/index.ssf/2016/08/yankees_send_greg_bird_other_prospects_to_arizona.html

Finestrg

9/2/2016  1:44 PM    LAST EDITED: 9/2/2016  1:57 PM
Yanks' September call-ups as of right now (including Eric Young Jr., who we just acquired from the Brewers for cash to be an extra OFer/pinch runner I guess??). Another stealth move to go along with the Gamel trade -- who even knew they made these moves? I stumbled across the Gamel trade by accident googling him to get a look at his numbers after Hicks went down...The Yankee web site is a joke sometimes -- how is there no mention of either move there?? Thanks guys, appreciate it ):

http://www.lohud.com/story/sports/mlb/lohud-yankees/2016/09/02/yankees-announce-six-september-call-ups/89764692/

Why Nick Goody?? Man, he sucks! What's the attraction with this guy?? OK, he's got nice numbers in AAA this year in limited time but to me, everytime I've seen him pitch, he's gotten lit up! We have pitchers with better stuff we could've called up imo -- Johnny Barbato, for one. Barbato > Goody imho... I do like the Jonathan Holder call-up though. He's been Scranton's closer--interested to take a look at him and see what he's all about.

Finestrg

9/2/2016  8:36 PM
So Green leaves the game early with a sore elbow. Not a good sign. Then this dude Goody comes in and immediately pours gas on the fire. Down 6-0 in a big game..
jrodmc
USA
9/29/2016  1:10 PM
So down to one game and then it's no playoffs. Maybe the O's find a way to channel their inner early 2000's collapse-able Mets?

Tex with a walk off grand slam... kind of a nice way to end a career.

Scary Franchise is better than Wally Berger.

Finestrg

11/14/2016  4:26 PM    LAST EDITED: 11/14/2016  4:27 PM
Just a thought -

How about trying to work out a trade for Jay Bruce? Several reasons why this could work out for us:

• Not sure the Mets love him (supposedly available).

• He'd be short-term if he didn't work out (I believe his contract runs right to 2018 FA when guys like Manny Machado and Bryce Harper are FAs. Jose Fernandez would've been part of that FA class too and my first choice by far -- I really wanted a starting rotation of Fernandez/Tanaka, 1 & 1a. What a shame, man. RIP).

• With Kendrys Morales off the market, I think trading for Bruce is a cheaper/shorter-term solution than signing Encarnacion or Trumbo for a power bat.

• He'd be a big thumper this lineup is missing -- .250/25-30/100 is close to a guarantee. Plays a decent RF too.

• Allows us to go a little slower with Judge, who may not be ready. And if Judge has a good spring, makes the club and starts producing, you're looking at a lineup with great power potential with Bruce & Judge middle of the order.

• He'd still be in NY and wouldn't have to look for a new place to live, etc. Could even be interested in bringing him back in 2018 if he produced well. Only 29-years-old.

• He shouldn't cost a ton in terms of prospects (definitely no A-list prospects) -- I'd offer some combination of Brian McCann (who might agree to it--goes back to the NL where he was more productive and like Bruce, he wouldn't have to look for a new place to live either. Would the Mets like him over Travis d'Arnaud? d'Arnaud hasn't been great for them. Good chance McCann would assume the starting catcher role there) and a solid B-list OF prospect--Mason Williams, Jake Cave, maybe even Tyler Austin. We have a ton of other solid B-list guys we could sweeten the deal with.

------------------------------------------

Potential lineup with Bruce:

CF Ellsbury
LF Gardner
C Sanchez
RF/DH Bruce
1B Bird
2B Castro
SS Gregorius
RF/DH Judge
3B Headley

That's far from terrible.

EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

11/20/2016  9:01 AM
What yam think of Cespedes? Yanks look like they are cleaning house. Gardner might be next. Cespedes could be the left fielder.

I like the idea of getting Encarnacion too to DH/1b....

With the youth the Yanks have in the pipeline and the guys we have in the line up now.... it's time to bring the evil empire back. Sign some power and trade for some pitching.

Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
Bonn1997
USA
11/20/2016  10:30 AM    LAST EDITED: 11/20/2016  10:31 AM
McCann for prospects? Wow, maybe they're really rebuilding.
Cespedes is a great hitter but his defensive numbers (DWAR) don't look great and he's on the wrong side of 30. I definitely wouldn't give him a long-term contract. His hitting #s might go down in YS since he's a righty too.
mattshaw78
Alba Posts: 52
Member: #915
11/23/2016  6:14 AM
I don't want to see beltran either....just let the kids play. Wish we could remove ourselves from that bad contract ellsbury has:
2017 33 New York Yankees $21,142,857
2018 34 New York Yankees $21,142,857
2019 35 New York Yankees $21,142,857
2020 36 New York Yankees $21,142,857
2021 37 New York Yankees *$21,000,000 $21M Team Option, $5M Buyout
BlueSeats "I like anyone who can make Lebron cry. Melo seems to do it a lot."
Bonn1997
USA
12/8/2016  8:52 AM
Wow, the Yankees just gave Chapman by far the biggest contract a closer has ever gotten. He's incredible but I don't think closers are worth this much.
jrodmc
USA
12/12/2016  9:50 AM    LAST EDITED: 12/12/2016  9:51 AM
Bonn1997 wrote:Wow, the Yankees just gave Chapman by far the biggest contract a closer has ever gotten. He's incredible but I don't think closers are worth this much.

And just what would you offer a brand new Mariano today? Wonder if we can overpay and get Miller back too! Without giving up any prospects!
Then it would be on to Bryce Harper!
No more ex-Mets! Glad the Mets overpaid Cespedes instead of us.

C'mon Bonn, weren't you the guy saying Hal and company were too friggin cheap and that George was rolling in his grave because we weren't doing anything splashy?

I want yoots AND overpaid FA's! THAT'S THE STEINBRENNER WAY!

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
12/13/2016  5:43 PM
Bonn1997 wrote:Wow, the Yankees just gave Chapman by far the biggest contract a closer has ever gotten. He's incredible but I don't think closers are worth this much.

Chapman is the best in the game. And, we got a hell of prospect take in the "short term rental" he cost us.

Question at age 28 does he fulfill it?
If your Bryce harper do you want to go to a team with a great closer?

jrodmc
USA
3/1/2017  1:18 PM
Posting just to move the effing Rangers thread down...

Byrd looks good, the Bombers be back! At least, in split squad games!

God, our pitching is going to stink!
Does Betances phone it in all season?

Bonn1997
USA
4/17/2017  10:15 AM
Wow, this team is really exciting! I'm not sure if the pitching will stay this strong but it's still an exciting roster. It took the team forever to realize they needed to rebuild but once they did, they did it well.
jrodmc
USA
4/19/2017  12:24 PM    LAST EDITED: 4/19/2017  12:25 PM
8 game streak is dead... was a great pitching duel last night, especially if Cosmos doesn't boot a simple double play grounder.
Judge up in a big spot in the 9th with the bases loaded... no dice.
I had dreams of him and Holiday going with back to back HR's to win the game...

It took until August last year for the Yankees to be 5 games above .500...

Bonn1997
USA
4/20/2017  5:31 PM
What the...?! Jeter and Jeb Bush are trying to team up to buy the Marlins! He belongs in the Yankees organization.
jrodmc
USA
5/1/2017  9:16 AM
Lousy way to end an incredible April, but dayum! It's good to feel this good about one of my teams!
Judge is freakin unreal, but it seems he does have a problem producing in late inning spots sometimes. Yeah, I want to win EVERY game!

Gardy finally getting some RBI's!

Tommy Lane makes me wanna vomit sometimes. I've always hated the John Wetteland model of closing games...

Yankees Talk thread

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy