Yankees Talk thread
Author Thread
jrodmc
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #805
USA
7/7/2016  8:25 AM
Bonn1997 wrote:According to ESPN:
Executives with other teams say they haven't been told specifically by the Yankees that New York will execute a sell-off before the Aug. 1 trade deadline. Yankees owner Hal Steinbrenner has not exactly climbed a mountain and shouted his intentions.

But rival evaluators say the Yankees are taking offers for Andrew Miller, Aroldis Chapman and other players right now, setting up the team to execute trades quickly whenever the club's leadership decides to refocus the organization's efforts on 2017.

That's good. I'm not convinced Cashman and the Steinbrenners actually know what they're doing though.

Hopefully Hank gets you on the line to counsel Cashman before they start the actual deconstruction.

Hey, I hear this Didi guy is doing quite well this season... now who brought him here?

AUTOADVERT
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
7/7/2016  10:23 AM
jrodmc wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:According to ESPN:
Executives with other teams say they haven't been told specifically by the Yankees that New York will execute a sell-off before the Aug. 1 trade deadline. Yankees owner Hal Steinbrenner has not exactly climbed a mountain and shouted his intentions.

But rival evaluators say the Yankees are taking offers for Andrew Miller, Aroldis Chapman and other players right now, setting up the team to execute trades quickly whenever the club's leadership decides to refocus the organization's efforts on 2017.

That's good. I'm not convinced Cashman and the Steinbrenners actually know what they're doing though.

Hopefully Hank gets you on the line to counsel Cashman before they start the actual deconstruction.

Hey, I hear this Didi guy is doing quite well this season... now who brought him here?

Even a broken clock is right twice a day!
mattshaw78
Alba Posts: 52
Member: #915
7/25/2016  12:55 PM
http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/17140296/new-york-yankees-agree-trade-aroldis-chapman-chicago-cubs

The New York Yankees have agreed to a blockbuster trade that will send star closer Aroldis Chapman to the Chicago Cubs, as first reported Monday by FanRag Sports and confirmed by ESPN's Jayson Stark.

Chicago will send a four-player package to New York that includes top shortstop prospect Gleyber Torres, according to reports. The Yankees also will receive pitcher Adam Warren, minor league outfielder Billy McKinney and an unidentified fourth player, according to FanRag Sports and Stark.

BlueSeats "I like anyone who can make Lebron cry. Melo seems to do it a lot."
mattshaw78
7/25/2016  12:55 PM
I like this trade because we got starlin castro pretty much for free. We also upgraded the chips we received compare to what we gave the reds.
Bonn1997
USA
7/26/2016  12:47 PM    LAST EDITED: 7/26/2016  12:47 PM
mattshaw78 wrote:I like this trade because we got starlin castro pretty much for free. We also upgraded the chips we received compare to what we gave the reds.

I don't know much about the prospects involved but I agree with the idea of selling and rebuilding. I hope this is the start of a massive sale that brings in many good prospects and young players.
Bonn1997
USA
8/1/2016  9:07 AM
The team seems to be in fire sale mode. It's long overdue but it's exciting. I hope they get something good for Beltran and can even get a few assets for some of our other veterans. It would be disappointing if Beltran were still here after the deadline (nothing against him personally but he doesn't make sense on this roster).
Finestrg
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #1069

8/1/2016  11:42 AM    LAST EDITED: 8/1/2016  1:39 PM
Completely agree. Long overdue and it's the right thing to do now. Chapman trade seemed good; this Miller trade even better. Now put it all on the table (and I think it is)--Beltran to the highest bidder (agree--he makes little sense on this team now. In fact I'll be disappointed if he's still on the team by 4pm today, unless of course there wasn't a trade worth pulling the trigger on. He's an all-star and very productive this year. Time to sell high--can't just give the guy away. Gotta give me something for him...I bet there are some packages on the table right now but they're probably underwhelming, otherwise he would've been shipped out already. I was reading something yesterday on the net that speculated Beltran to the Indians for Brady Aiken -- velocity's down and he's pitched poorly so far coming back from TJ surgery but there's still considerable upside there, no rush to get him to the big league yet, plus he's left-handed), then maybe McCann (to Atlanta?), Headley, Gardner, Eovaldi (although I think I'd prefer to hold onto Eovaldi--he's still young with great stuff. Just gotta finally get his stuff to translate better somehow. I like that he's throwing a cutter now--it's not like he's one of these guys that needs to add a pitch. That's not the problem--Nate's got a whole assortment of above average pitches. Prefer to hold onto him and give him more time but let's see what teams are offering. The Pirates are supposedly interested). The Clippard trade was a bit puzzling but I guess I understand that too. We've underperformed but it's not like we're 12 games out--I think we're only 5-6 games out of a playoff spot with a lot of games left, so you can see where Cash is coming from with that trade too I guess.
mattshaw78
8/1/2016  3:15 PM
I am more disappointed that McCann is still with this club
Finestrg

8/1/2016  5:04 PM    LAST EDITED: 8/1/2016  5:05 PM
mattshaw78 wrote:I am more disappointed that McCann is still with this club

Looks like another nice haul, this time for Beltran -- Dillon Tate has big upside (was the first pitcher selected in last year's draft I believe); Erik Swanson supposedly throws 94-98 and Nick Green throws strikes. Nice job. Who'd we get for Nova?

Bonn1997
USA
8/1/2016  5:37 PM    LAST EDITED: 8/2/2016  8:10 AM
mattshaw78 wrote:I am more disappointed that McCann is still with this club

I am too but I'm thrilled that they actually did this much of a fire sale. I thought they'd never surrender a season like this. I hope they don't trade all the kids they got in a bad starphuck. I hope this is part of a legit long-term rebuild. It looks like I may have underestimated Cashman, and the Steinbrenners would just in his way for a long time.
jrodmc
USA
8/2/2016  11:07 AM
Oh well, more time to concentrate on Gints and Knicks camps.

I wonder if Girardi really wants to stay on here for full rebuilding mode...

SupremeCommander
Alba Posts: 35
Member: #1127

8/2/2016  3:06 PM
The Yanks have at worst the fifth best farm system in baseball... Up from the middle of the pack. And we're disappointed about McCann? There's still the offseason. t
There's still the waiver deadline.
Sambakick wrote: Gives a whole new meaning to "Jazz Hands"
Bonn1997
USA
8/2/2016  4:27 PM
SupremeCommander wrote:The Yanks have at worst the fifth best farm system in baseball... Up from the middle of the pack. And we're disappointed about McCann? There's still the offseason. t
There's still the waiver deadline.

I want every prospect we can get. I would have been thrilled if everyone over 30 had been traded for prospects. It was still an excellent trade deadline, though.
Finestrg

8/17/2016  1:40 AM    LAST EDITED: 8/17/2016  2:00 AM
Terrible loss tonight and even worse news about Eovaldi. Hoping for the best--he's a young long-term pitcher for us but now who knows. Doesn't look good.

So pissed off after this game. Time for a rant.

Reading so many comments out there on message boards all over the net blaming Girardi for this loss for not going back to Pineda after the rain delay. I don't see it like that at all. First off, I agree with not taking a chance on Pineda's health like that after a 45 min. rain delay. You protect him there and I'm glad Joe did that. We had a 6-0 lead with our top setup guys, Clippard and Warren, ready to go. Problem wasn't Girardi; it was that EVERY damn reliever he went to after the rain delay sans Clippard, namely Swarzak, Warren, then Shreve, couldn't get anybody out. That was it. Unfortunately, we don't have Miller and Chapman anymore. Can't have our cake and eat it too -- we traded 2 of the best relievers in the game to bring back a ton of promising young talent and it was 100% the right thing.. Gotta work with what we have now--their replacements are Clippard and Warren. Sizable downgrade (esp. Warren who I don't like nearly as much as the Yankees do) and we saw it tonight. What are you gonna do? They like those two guys...Can't understand laying this loss on Joe, though.. People make me laugh. Joe managed a textbook game after that rain delay imo. He protected Pineda and went to his best setup guys once the game got close. Warren just didn't perform. Then Shreve couldn't keep it close...You wanna say they should've went one more inning with T-Clip, maybe I'll buy that--day game tomorrow and then an off day before resuming 8/19 in Anaheim. Maybe they could've squeezed T-Clip for one more inning but two things: (1) I feel like Clippard's pitched a lot recently and (2) they like Warren in that 8th inning role now--he just **** the bed. I like Clippard -- he's proven himself to be a good setup man since leaving the Yanks a few years ago; Warren worries me though (very overrated in the Yanks' eyes). I think we need one more arm down there. Someone better than Nick Goody who I don't care for at all. Too bad about Eovaldi because Cessa's gonna have to start now -- probably the right thing anyway (let's see what he has as a starter--gotta always find that out first) but as a reliever, I thought he's looked promising. I know he pitched poorly his last time out but he looked GREAT for 2 innings that game in Boston. Was thinking maybe he could give us a power arm in the late innings to get to Betances eventually. Not anymore.. J.P. Feyereisen's promising (hits 94 with a real wipeout slider supposedly) but is only in AA and may need more seasoning although I was just reading he could move up quickly.. Maybe Johnny Barbato? I never thought that dude got a fair shot this year. Twice now I felt Barbato was demoted real quick before being given a chance to work though his problems. He's probably next in line. Or Ben Heller who was up with the big club for a day or two recently before being sent back down. Heck, let's take a good, long look at Heller. Kid supposedly throws mid to high 90s... Too bad Domingo Acevedo is still too young, only pitching in A ball. That's the type of arm we need up here right now. He's the one arm that excites me the most down on the farm--just gonna have to wait for him. This dude's supposedly a souped up, much better version of Michael Pineda.

Finestrg

8/19/2016  4:45 PM    LAST EDITED: 8/19/2016  4:50 PM
So Shreve's out and Yates is back. Hardly the bullpen upgrade I was looking for. Johnny Barbato, J.P. Feyereisen and Ben Heller. Those are the 3 arms I wanna see out there. I think those 3 could help us most out of anyone. Jonathan Holder (just promoted from AA Trenton) and Tyler Webb (another lefty?) are two more possibilities. Hopefully by the end of the year...
Finestrg

8/21/2016  6:31 PM
Man, this team just can't handle any kind of prosperity, huh? Another opportunity to sweep a team and they couldn't get it done. Wasted a very good start by Chad Green...One small thing that bothers me moving forward -- Adam Warren. They have a hugely inflated opinion of Warren. He's ok, I hesitate to call him garbage, but he's just not someone I feel comfortable with late innings in a tight game. He's just not that guy, I'm sorry...He was God awful in that rain delay loss to the Jays and again today, 1-0 game bottom 8, 2 outs no one on and he gives up another run. Didn't matter in the end, we wound up getting shut out anyway, but real good relievers/real shutdown setup men don't give up another run there. They just don't. When they made the Chapman trade with the Cubs, i remember Hal said it was imperative they got back Warren in the deal. Huh? WTF am I missing?? He's just not that good. He's a 5th-6th inning reliever and/or long man if needed, maybe even a spot starter, but definitely not a back end of the pen stopper like they see him. I really hope to see some of these other young bullpen arms we have in the minors soon. No way we go into next season with Warren as a primary setup man.
jrodmc
USA
8/22/2016  8:34 AM
Compared to what we dumped in the fire sale, I believe you can safely call Warren garbage.

Betances isn't making me feel all that great, either. Hopefully, when all these kids start hitting next season, we can possibly get Miller and Chapman back. Not really sure about Miller's contract, but at least Chapman, maybe.

And Cashman works some of his "broken clock" magic with the starting rotation... Hey Bonn! 4 games over .500, how's it goin?

Bonn1997
USA
8/22/2016  9:23 AM    LAST EDITED: 8/22/2016  11:58 AM
jrodmc wrote:Compared to what we dumped in the fire sale, I believe you can safely call Warren garbage.

Betances isn't making me feel all that great, either. Hopefully, when all these kids start hitting next season, we can possibly get Miller and Chapman back. Not really sure about Miller's contract, but at least Chapman, maybe.

And Cashman works some of his "broken clock" magic with the starting rotation... Hey Bonn! 4 games over .500, how's it goin?

Why do you call me out every time the team wins? I love the fact that they finally are rebuilding and am happy with the direction. Did I use the broken clock phrase for Phil or Cashman? Either way, a lot of what the Yankees did for the past 6 or so years was awful but I'm glad they are back on track now.
Finestrg

8/22/2016  1:17 PM    LAST EDITED: 8/22/2016  1:18 PM
One guy I'd love Chad Green to study a lot of video of & try to emulate: Aaron Sanchez of the Jays. Sanchez has better stuff but I think Green's arsenal is in the same ballpark and could come close to Sanchez's with some more work/refinement (I think the world of this kid Sanchez btw -- he reminds me of a young Bartolo Colon/AJ Burnett hybrid. Dude could very well wind up winning the Cy Young award this year). Things to work on/refine for Green to get closer to Sanchez as a pitcher: take a little off that slider for more of a curveball for added break/depth (they've eluded to this on the broadcast and Girardi's mentioned it as well); try to get some more run/sink on the fastball like Sanchez who not only throws 95 but has awesome sink/run (Green throws hard but his heater's more 4-seamer straight (when he's not throwing his cutter which is a good one). Sanchez's fastball, by comparison, has much better movement--it's more of a 2-seamer like vintage Bartolo Colon. A young Colon threw both types of fastballs but his 2-seamer was sick with good velocity, much like Aaron Sanchez); and he needs to throw his changeup more. Green's gone entire starts w/o throwing even 1 changeup. Heck, with guys like Tanaka and Eovaldi around, learn how to throw a splitter. At least experiment with it. I never understood why pitchers don't try to learn pitches from their teammates more. I feel like David Robertson may have picked up a lot from Mo Rivera about the cutter, maybe Eovaldi picked up something from Tanaka with the splitter, but that's about it. Point is pitchers need to pick each other's brains more imo and then implement what they've learned)..If the Yanks are smart they'd show Green some video of Sanchez. I'd love to see Rothchild work with him to develop a similar arsenal.
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

8/24/2016  11:41 AM
I don't know about all this micro analysis you guys are going back and forth with...

I see youth and desire. I see chemistry. I see a team in better shape for this season then they were before the trades. That's incredible to me.

McCann needs to go... Tex needs to go...Heatley needs to go Asap....

I love the kids we have. They are all in there early to mid twenties. Castro, Gregarious, Torreyes, Refsnyder, Sanchez, Romine, and Bird on the dl... that's a good infield. Guys can really grow together.

The outfield has enough youth as well with Judge, Austin and hicks... ellsbury and Gardner are basically the same player. Still a very promising group. There's potential for power and room to make a deal to improve the farm. With Gardner or Ellsbury trade.

The pitching is there too... Plenty or potential. I'm too excited to micro analyze... the next generation is now man. So much fun

Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
Yankees Talk thread

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy