[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Yankees Talk thread
Author Thread
jrodmc
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #805
USA
7/10/2015  10:35 AM
Finestrg wrote:Gardy's in!! Wasn't even part of the final vote -- I read he was an injury replacement selected by the manager. Good for him, man. Well deserved.

Yeah, and he gets the news during the game where he's hitting and scoring like he's the face of the franchise! Ellsbury who?
Seriously, the dude is so freaking fast...

AUTOADVERT
Finestrg
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #1069

7/11/2015  1:54 AM    LAST EDITED: 7/11/2015  2:01 AM
2 out of 3 against the As, Tanaka back on track, and we took the 1st against the Sox. Pineda looked good and the team's in 1st place, Ellsbury and Miller are back, Nova's made it back ahead of schedule, 3 guys going to the AS game...I see Headley and Beltran are banged up a little bit but there's more than enough in place right now where we should be OK w/o both guys for awhile.. Things are looking good!!!

I see Refsnyder got called up -- very exciting. Word is he'll be starting the next 2 games against left-handers. The kid can definitely handle the bat and he's supposedly made some strides at 2B in the field.. This could be big-time. Really pulling for Ref, man. Hope he does well.

Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
7/11/2015  8:48 AM
Finestrg wrote:2 out of 3 against the As, Tanaka back on track, and we took the 1st against the Sox. Pineda looked good and the team's in 1st place, Ellsbury and Miller are back, Nova's made it back ahead of schedule, 3 guys going to the AS game...I see Headley and Beltran are banged up a little bit but there's more than enough in place right now where we should be OK w/o both guys for awhile.. Things are looking good!!!

I see Refsnyder got called up -- very exciting. Word is he'll be starting the next 2 games against left-handers. The kid can definitely handle the bat and he's supposedly made some strides at 2B in the field.. This could be big-time. Really pulling for Ref, man. Hope he does well.

Yeah, the team's playing well. I'd still like to see them make at least one major trade to improve the team before the trade deadline. I'm surprised how quiet it's been.
Bonn1997
USA
7/14/2015  7:40 AM
It's a little late to post but Gardner, Betances, and Teix got well-deserved all-star recognition. I was really hoping A-Rod would be there too. Maybe he'll get Comeback Player of the Year.
jrodmc
USA
7/14/2015  12:35 PM
The Rhoid's posting some pretty sick numbers. I wonder how often he's being tested?
Bonn1997
USA
7/15/2015  6:24 AM    LAST EDITED: 7/15/2015  6:25 AM
jrodmc wrote:The Rhoid's posting some pretty sick numbers. I wonder how often he's being tested?

lol. I'm sure everyone's wondering that! You gotta think he wouldn't be that stupid.

Bonn1997
USA
7/18/2015  6:39 AM
jrodmc wrote:The Rhoid's posting some pretty sick numbers. I wonder how often he's being tested?

Actually I just read that anyone penalized for steroid use is subject to nine unannounced tests each year for the rest of their career. I'm not certain that's correct though.
Finestrg

7/20/2015  3:03 AM    LAST EDITED: 7/20/2015  3:11 AM
Big win yesterday. CC hung tough and kept us in the game against a very good pitcher, we scratch out that run against Felix to tie it and Tex took care of the rest with a missile HR against Rodney.

Disappointed they sent Refsnyder back down. I know Beltran made it back and someone had to get squeezed, but why Refsnyder? What happened to giving this kid a run to show what he can do--isn't that what Joe was saying a day or two ago? I thought the kid looked good, esp. in the field where he made all the routine plays and didn't hurt the team. Very good sign because on the other side, you know he was gonna start hitting.. I know the argument's 'well, if he's not gonna be playing regularly, send him back down so he can' but let's flip that around--why shouldn't he be up with the big club playing 2nd base every day?? I just don't care for our other 2 options--not a fan of Drew and I like Brendan Ryan even less. I can't for the life of me see their fascination with both players, esp. Ryan--he's basically the reason Ref got sent down. Makes no sense to me at all. Drew's the better player over Ryan (not saying too much there) and should be the primary backup at SS/2B. No need to carry both Drew and Ryan. Why?? It's completely redundant. I wish they would just trade Ryan or cut him -- Ref plays 2nd full-time, Drew backs up 2nd and SS, Pirela's only a phone call away if need be (he plays 2nd and 3rd, even a little SS in the minors) and if anything happened to Headley, we've got Pirela, Gregorio Petit and guys like Cole Figueroa or Rob Segedin at AAA who can all play 3rd. A-Rod can still play some 3B too in a pinch.. Where does Ryan fit in?? He doesn't!! All you ever hear is how Ryan's close to going on a rehab assignment, Ryan's close to coming back, Ryan was just activated, etc. I mean WTF with this guy--they act like they just got Derek Jeter back off the DL or something.. Sorry but I don't get it. Now that we got a little taste of Refsnyder, I wanted to see more. Hard to believe that Brendan Ryan is interfering with that plan.

Bonn1997
USA
7/20/2015  8:02 AM    LAST EDITED: 7/20/2015  8:14 AM
Finestrg wrote:Big win yesterday. CC hung tough and kept us in the game against a very good pitcher, we scratch out that run against Felix to tie it and Tex took care of the rest with a missile HR against Rodney.

Disappointed they sent Refsnyder back down. I know Beltran made it back and someone had to get squeezed, but why Refsnyder? What happened to giving this kid a run to show what he can do--isn't that what Joe was saying a day or two ago? I thought the kid looked good, esp. in the field where he made all the routine plays and didn't hurt the team. Very good sign because on the other side, you know he was gonna start hitting.. I know the argument's 'well, if he's not gonna be playing regularly, send him back down so he can' but let's flip that around--why shouldn't he be up with the big club playing 2nd base every day?? I just don't care for our other 2 options--not a fan of Drew and I like Brendan Ryan even less. I can't for the life of me see their fascination with both players, esp. Ryan--he's basically the reason Ref got sent down. Makes no sense to me at all. Drew's the better player over Ryan (not saying too much there) and should be the primary backup at SS/2B. No need to carry both Drew and Ryan. Why?? It's completely redundant. I wish they would just trade Ryan or cut him -- Ref plays 2nd full-time, Drew backs up 2nd and SS, Pirela's only a phone call away if need be (he plays 2nd and 3rd, even a little SS in the minors) and if anything happened to Headley, we've got Pirela, Gregorio Petit and guys like Cole Figueroa or Rob Segedin at AAA who can all play 3rd. A-Rod can still play some 3B too in a pinch.. Where does Ryan fit in?? He doesn't!! All you ever hear is how Ryan's close to going on a rehab assignment, Ryan's close to coming back, Ryan was just activated, etc. I mean WTF with this guy--they act like they just got Derek Jeter back off the DL or something.. Sorry but I don't get it. Now that we got a little taste of Refsnyder, I wanted to see more. Hard to believe that Brendan Ryan is interfering with that plan.

I'm not sure if they're looking at the advanced stats but -0.5 wins above replacement for Refsnyder may have concerned them (-.4 from defense and -.1 from offense). That's saying he already cost the team half a game in just 4 games played. No doubt, it's a small sample and they shouldn't give up on the guy but they might feel each game is too critical to give him a tryout now. Statistically, Drew and Ryan are at least at the replacement player level rather than below it. Maybe these are concerns they had about Refsnyder before bringing him up too and it's not just these 4 games that led them to send him back.
Bonn1997
USA
7/20/2015  3:06 PM
Are the Yankees really just gonna do nothing before the trade deadline? That's the impression I get from the articles I've seen, and they've done nothing so far. George would have done everything possible to push us from good to great.
Finestrg

7/20/2015  10:28 PM
Bonn1997 wrote:Are the Yankees really just gonna do nothing before the trade deadline? That's the impression I get from the articles I've seen, and they've done nothing so far. George would have done everything possible to push us from good to great.

My brother-in-law was telling me that the Yanks could have interest in Craig Kimbrel. Googled it and I found this:

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=13283105

I dunno man -- yeah, it'd be an incredible big 3 in the pen but at what cost? This dude's owed a ton of money (I'd be nice to maintain some flexibility for Bryce Harper coming up in a couple of seasons, no?) and what would he cost in terms of prospects? The Pads are looking to dump some salary, that's why they're supposedly shopping Kimbrel and James Shields, but I doubt they just give them away to anyone who's willing to take on their salaries and nothing else. Two good pitchers here--Kimbrel's got what, 25 saves? There gonna want something back in return. If the need was there, if we had holes in the bullpen, I could see it, but we really don't. Betances/Miller is as good as it gets at the back end and Shreve and Wilson have really emerged as quality setup men. Hard to believe we'd take on that kind of salary and surrender top prospects to improve what's already a huge strength.

Bonn1997
USA
7/21/2015  7:18 AM
Finestrg wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:Are the Yankees really just gonna do nothing before the trade deadline? That's the impression I get from the articles I've seen, and they've done nothing so far. George would have done everything possible to push us from good to great.

My brother-in-law was telling me that the Yanks could have interest in Craig Kimbrel. Googled it and I found this:

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=13283105

I dunno man -- yeah, it'd be an incredible big 3 in the pen but at what cost? This dude's owed a ton of money (I'd be nice to maintain some flexibility for Bryce Harper coming up in a couple of seasons, no?) and what would he cost in terms of prospects? The Pads are looking to dump some salary, that's why they're supposedly shopping Kimbrel and James Shields, but I doubt they just give them away to anyone who's willing to take on their salaries and nothing else. Two good pitchers here--Kimbrel's got what, 25 saves? There gonna want something back in return. If the need was there, if we had holes in the bullpen, I could see it, but we really don't. Betances/Miller is as good as it gets at the back end and Shreve and Wilson have really emerged as quality setup men. Hard to believe we'd take on that kind of salary and surrender top prospects to improve what's already a huge strength.

Interesting. That might make it easier to limit our old and/or injury prone starters to 100 pitches or even less and have them at full strength in the playoffs.
Finestrg

7/22/2015  11:28 AM    LAST EDITED: 7/22/2015  12:28 PM
Reading yesterday that Cash expects to bring Refsnyder back up in about 10 days, after the trade deadline has come and gone. He wants to keep all his players for the time being in case something worthwhile materializes before the deadline. I'm ok with that and it was nice to hear him definitively say Ref will be back in 10 days or so. Makes me feel like he's here to stay and won't be traded. He hinted there could be some potential trade targets out there for us but the cost might be too great so the possibility of making a big splash deal seems remote. Also mentioned that there's actually all sorts of good depth in the minors we can tap if the need arises -- bullpen help, extra starter or 2, more offense, infield/outfield depth.. I feel pretty good about our situation right now, unlike in the past where we had more holes and knew we desperately needed to do something at the deadline to improve the team. Cash mentioned we still have some holes but they're not as obvious as with past teams, even last year's club for instance. Agree with all that as well..
jrodmc
USA
7/27/2015  8:13 AM
So we're heading towards 10 games in first place (yeah, yeah, weak division, blah blah blah), we're 13 games over .500, A-rhoid's going to hit 40 home runs, the bottom of the order is now taking it's turns winning games, and what is all you hear about on sportsradio? The effin mets...

If Ellsbury is hurt again, do they finally bring up Aaron Judge? Gardy sure seems to hit better in the lead off spot...

Finestrg

7/27/2015  3:51 PM    LAST EDITED: 7/27/2015  9:49 PM
jrodmc wrote:So we're heading towards 10 games in first place (yeah, yeah, weak division, blah blah blah), we're 13 games over .500, A-rhoid's going to hit 40 home runs, the bottom of the order is now taking it's turns winning games, and what is all you hear about on sportsradio? The effin mets...

If Ellsbury is hurt again, do they finally bring up Aaron Judge? Gardy sure seems to hit better in the lead off spot...

Missed the game yesterday but saw the two plays Jake made. Crashed into the wall with the left shoulder, laid out and made that great diving play on the right shoulder. Newsday said he had ice bags on his shoulders after the game. Hope he's OK. Are you hearing anything severe? Yankees.com doesn't having anything up on the website saying he's injured..

So Cole Hamels with the no hitter over the weekend. I hope we resist the temptation to go after this guy. He's owed a ton of money and can you imagine what the Phillies would want for him in terms prospects? A king's ransom I'm sure, esp. after throwing a no-no. Had Steve Somers on in the car late Sat. afternoon and he was saying it would cost Severino or Judge, maybe both. Hamels is a good pitcher but no way I'm doing that for what amounts to a number 3 starter on this staff. Who knows how he'd pitch in the better-hitting AL too--he could get hit a lot harder. Plus, I don't wanna pay him what he's owed. We add this guy to the payroll, that's it--we won't be doing anything else for awhile. I'd rather keep that payroll flexibility...I say stay the course and keep developing all the top talent we have in the minors right now. A lot of these guys are close... Severino's real high end; he should be ready for the majors soon. We've got him and Bryan Mitchell -- that good rotation depth right there if we need it (I think Severino could even help us outta the bullpen too, Same with Mitchell). Plus we have a young lefty starter, Ian Clarkin, who could be better than Hamels eventually. Severino, Clarkin, Refsynder, Bird, Judge, Eric Jagielo -- hold onto these guys, man.

jrodmc
USA
7/29/2015  8:24 AM
Unfreakin real. A prototype throw away game, Capauono is practically walking the entire Ranger roster in the first inning and we score 21 runs.

Too bad Joe didn't leave him in. Even Cap might have gotten a win out of this one... although it probably would have been close...

Finestrg

7/29/2015  1:07 PM    LAST EDITED: 7/29/2015  2:13 PM
jrodmc wrote:Unfreakin real. A prototype throw away game, Capauono is practically walking the entire Ranger roster in the first inning and we score 21 runs.

Too bad Joe didn't leave him in. Even Cap might have gotten a win out of this one... although it probably would have been close...

LMAO! I was thinking the same thing, how we just completely mailed this one in early -- to come back and rout this team after starting out the way we did, WOW. Really showed me something. Big comeback was against a pitcher just coming back off TJ surgery and some shoddy relief pitching but still--very impressive.

How 'bout this Diego Moreno, huh? Man was he good. Restored order quickly after Cappy **** the bed out there...again. Real good stuff -- cranked it up to 95 (could go a tick or two higher than that in a short-man bullpen role apparently--just reading some scouting reports on him. He was one of 2 players we got back in the AJ Burnett deal with the Pirates), great arm action on that power changeup he was throwing and he also mixed in a good-looking slider. They've got this guy stretched out where he can help us as a starter or reliever.. Meanwhile, 2 poor outings in a row now for Capuano. I don't wanna see him pitch for us again. Try to work out a trade or just cut ties with him--don't even want him hogging up a roster spot anymore. Biggest waste of $5mm dollars I've ever seen. Ideally, I'd love to see Capuano and Drew go elsewhere, either in the same deal or separate trades. I'll take anything for those guys--a low-level prospect or two and we can call it a day. Classic case where less is more here--we could open up two roster spots for better players--we could add Refsnyder's bat, still keep Ryan around for a veteran in the infield/good locker room presence who plays good enough defense at 3 positions (no need to carry Ryan and Drew--it's redundant) and also open up a spot in the bullpen for another arm (we keep Moreno up, it's obvious after last night he can help us, and add maybe another decent righty in the pen, maybe we bring back Chris Martin who I thought was good for us early on before he got hurt).

jrodmc
USA
7/30/2015  12:53 PM
Finestrg wrote:
jrodmc wrote:Unfreakin real. A prototype throw away game, Capauono is practically walking the entire Ranger roster in the first inning and we score 21 runs.

LMAO! I was thinking the same thing, how we just completely mailed this one in early -- to come back and rout this team after starting out the way we did, WOW. Really showed me something. Big comeback was against a pitcher just coming back off TJ surgery and some shoddy relief pitching but still--very impressive.

How 'bout this Diego Moreno, huh? Man was he good. Restored order quickly after Cappy **** the bed out there...again. Real good stuff -- cranked it up to 95 (could go a tick or two higher than that in a short-man bullpen role apparently--just reading some scouting reports on him. He was one of 2 players we got back in the AJ Burnett deal with the Pirates), great arm action on that power changeup he was throwing and he also mixed in a good-looking slider. They've got this guy stretched out where he can help us as a starter or reliever.. Meanwhile, 2 poor outings in a row now for Capuano. I don't wanna see him pitch for us again. Try to work out a trade or just cut ties with him--don't even want him hogging up a roster spot anymore. Biggest waste of $5mm dollars I've ever seen. Ideally, I'd love to see Capuano and Drew go elsewhere, either in the same deal or separate trades. I'll take anything for those guys--a low-level prospect or two and we can call it a day. Classic case where less is more here--we could open up two roster spots for better players--we could add Refsnyder's bat, still keep Ryan around for a veteran in the infield/good locker room presence who plays good enough defense at 3 positions (no need to carry Ryan and Drew--it's redundant) and also open up a spot in the bullpen for another arm (we keep Moreno up, it's obvious after last night he can help us, and add maybe another decent righty in the pen, maybe we bring back Chris Martin who I thought was good for us early on before he got hurt).

I've never understood how we could move Adam Warren to the pen and keep Crappy even in a less than cameo role as a starter. Makes no sense, except Crappy out of the bullpen with his 79 mph fastball would probably be even uglier than when he starts.

Don't know that any team would give us anything but bored looks for Capuano and Drew...

Finestrg

7/31/2015  12:03 AM    LAST EDITED: 7/31/2015  8:19 AM
Tonight's loss pisses me off. We spot CC the 3-0 lead and he instantly gives it right back. Then another lead and he coughs that up too. Shaky all night as usually. I really wish they would've started Bryan Mitchell--that was the original plan, to have him replace Pineda who has "pain in the elbow area" according to Joe and will be shut down for 7-10 days. Pictures came back clean--no damage, just some inflammation... I was really looking forward to seeing Mitchell pitch tonight. Looks like they changed their minds last minute and went with CC on normal rest (I think they were just on the 6 starter schedule)...Mitchell was called up and didn't pitch tonight--I think that means he's in play for the start Saturday. Severino just started in the minors--Meredith said on the pre-game he's not an option for Saturday. Still should be called up asap -- the dude throws 97, is undefeated with a sub 2.00 ERA in AAA and he just struck out 10 guys. The kid's ready. I hope he gets a look soon. Jack Curry was saying it on the post game--Severino's got about 50 innings left in his arm this year -- let's see those 50 innings of work at the major league level... Why no Shreve tonight?? We could've used him. I'm sure Joe had a reason but I was surprised he didn't call on him, esp. over Goody...And I don't like using your closer in a tie game late on the road. You can get away with that at home but on the road, the other team always has last licks and will need to be closed out should we take the lead. No excuses--Miller's still gotta get the job done there tonight and he didn't.
Finestrg

8/2/2015  10:58 AM    LAST EDITED: 8/2/2015  11:01 AM
I know he lost last night and had several balls hit hard but I still came away very impressed with Bryan Mitchell. The kid has a GREAT arm. AWESOME velocity at 95-98 with the fastball (he can also take a little off and sink it down and in to righties), a 92-94 MPH cutter that would make Mariano proud and a real put-away curveball. He reminds me a lot of Nate Eovaldi in the sense that he needs to throw more off-speed pitches throughout to keep guys off his fastball--the few balls that got hit hard looked to be on fastballs they may have been sitting on. I agree with what they were saying last night on the telecast--he needs to develop a little bit of a changeup to keep guys honest up there (or just throw more curveballs maybe) but wow, what a fantastic arm. I can see exactly why some have been comparing him to a young AJ Burnett. Just comparing him with someone like Phil Hughes, a guy we lauded on his way up to the majors--there's really no comparison stuff-wise imo. Mitchell has the much better arsenal...The last thing I wanna see is the Yanks option him back to AAA. They have the propensity to be one and done with young pitchers -- keep him up here now, esp. if Pineda won't be back for another couple of starts and/or they chose to stick with 6 starters for the time being (looks like both may be the case). Give him a chance to make adjustments and make another start.. I'd also like to see him stretched out to 100+ pitches (last night, they were saying he was on a 75-80 pitch limit). Provided he's properly stretched out, I think Mitchell might be one of these guys that can maintain premium velocity late into games (a huge plus for a power starter)...Mitchell also reminds me of Shane Greene in that he may be one of those guys that doesn't have tremendous numbers in the minor leagues (although far from terrible this year) but somehow manages to channel everything better/pitch better at the major league level. I think having Mitchell in the fold is why they felt comfortable trading Greene to get Gregorius in that 3-team trade. Without Mitchell, they may not have made that trade.. Please stick with this kid and give him another chance..

And keep Moreno up. I know he got knocked around a little too last night but he's another guy who has a big arm/plus stuff. Out of all these relievers we've brought up/sent down over the past couple of days--Cotham, Goody, now Runbelow--Moreno to me is the most impressive. I like the fact that we could get some length out of this guy ALONG WITH a nasty power assortment of pitches.. Stick with this guy too. Dude was damn impressive in that comeback blowout win against Texas, coming in and restoring order the way he did.

I personally agree with not making the big splash trade. We got Ackley, whatever--I guess they view him as an even more versatile utility man over Garrett Jones (who had grown on me--I liked having his lefty power bat as a threat off the bench or to spell Tex from time to time--didn't like not having a legit backup first baseman last year--hopefully they have Ackley take a lot of balls at 1B) and we didn't give up anything significant for him but I like how we resisted the urge to do anything else. Whatever we need -- another starter or two (Mitchell, Severino), lefty/righty relievers, OF/infield depth, another MLB-ready bat should we choose to further enhance the bottom of the order (Refsnyder) -- it's all here in-house. Loved how we hung onto all these young guys. Our minor league system is a real strength right now--I'd like to see us keep building it up and eventually incorporate a lot of these players. I think that's how you have lasting success...We're in real good shape moving forward.

Yankees Talk thread

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy