[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Personally I'd Take a Long Hard Look at Aaron Gray of Pitt
Author Thread
misterearl
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #799
USA
6/16/2007  1:47 PM
VDesai - that's EXACTLY the type of player you keep a trained eye on. For people who are not locked into a first impression, and choose to reserach the reasons behind a players performance in new circumstances, just remember

no one heard of division 2 prespects Charles Oakley, Ben Wallace, Bobby Dandride or Rick Mahorn either
once a knick always a knick
AUTOADVERT
VDesai
Alba Posts: 44
Member: #477
USA
6/16/2007  1:48 PM
People were keeping a trained eye on him untill he came into a camp with mostly 2nd tier prospects and still looked like the most overmatched player on the court.
misterearl
USA
6/16/2007  1:51 PM
VDes- Don't be so quick to simply parrot one scout's reports and close the book on a player. They notes are a nice reference point, but not the Bible

Why not look behind the opinion and visuallize a skill-set, and the potential learning curve, at the next level?

go on a limb and take a chance because none of these projected picks are a stone-cold lock

nunna dem
TheGame
Member: #1154
USA
6/16/2007  2:01 PM
Posted by MS:

This guy sucks! No skills whatsoever except being tall. The name Eric Chenowith ring a bell, how about fred weis. You have got to be kidding putting mcchale in the discussion here.

You never draft tall and white, never. Unless the kid can flush anything around the basket which he can't. He is dunk bait, travis knight was a better prospect and thats scary

LOL. This guy is probably going to be a decent backup center, but he does not have the skills to be a starting center in this league unless his game really takes off after being drafted. Seeing that he was a senior, it is unlikely his game is going to improve to such a degree that he would be starting material.
Trust the Process
VDesai
USA
6/16/2007  3:27 PM
Posted by misterearl:

VDes- Don't be so quick to simply parrot one scout's reports and close the book on a player. They notes are a nice reference point, but not the Bible

Why not look behind the opinion and visuallize a skill-set, and the potential learning curve, at the next level?

go on a limb and take a chance because none of these projected picks are a stone-cold lock

nunna dem

I'd rather not visualize the unlikely event that players like Aaron Gray and Avis Wyatt randomly become 3-4 times better than they are when I could consider better players who would be available at pick 23 that could help the team now and develop in the future.
JohnWallace44
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #910
USA
6/16/2007  5:44 PM
Are you saying you'd look at him, or are you saying you'd draft him?
Alan Hahn: Nate Robinson has been on a ridonkulous scoring tear lately (remember when he couldn't hit Jerome James with a Big Mac in early January?)
misterearl
USA
6/17/2007  9:36 AM
VDesai - nice exaggeration. The suggestion is NOT that a player like Aaron Gray "randomly becomes" 3-4 times better. Perhaps one might uncover a player with a correctable flaw(s), or an injury, or some imperfection in his game who can work his way at the next level.

Using the example of Gray, whose flaw seems to be quickness and conditioning - the image on the Knicks site was dramatically different that his draft photo from 2006. If, and it is a huge IF, he has worked on losing weight and training as he claims, his projection as a 2006 lottery pick becomes curious.

The elusive Avis Wyatt hails from Division 2 Virginia State. The other player from a smaller conference, and my flava of the week, Ramon Sessions, ("A true floor general with a great size and speed combination....Has a great attitude and continues to improve....He still must improve his consistency and shooting from the perimeter ") could be EXACTLY what the Knicks need in the backcourt.

Perfect? Not really.

but who is?

[Edited by - misterearl on 06-17-2007 09:39 AM]
RemBee76
Member: #89
USA
6/17/2007  10:15 AM
Posted by misterearl:

the real question is by 2009, when our draft pick starts his junior year, which Knicks will still be around?

I don't know, though I have a few guys I hope are still here, barring a blockbuster kobe-like deal.

And if Isiah leaves, Eddy Curry might not be here in 2009, true. The real issue, though, is that Eddy Curry is this team's center right now and for the foreseeable future and as long as Isiah is making the pick taking a player whose only projected NBA position is Center ain't in the cards.

Its like a groupie website, or bitter ex-wives club. -Sebstar
islesfan
Alba Posts: 37
Member: #712
6/17/2007  11:14 AM
Not being good enough to play at the NBA level is not a "correctable flaw".

But keep on pretending that it is.
If it didn’t work in Phoenix with Nash and Stoutamire... it’s just not a winning formula. It’s an entertaining formula, but not a winning one. - Derek Harper talking about D'Antoni's System
VDesai
USA
6/17/2007  11:26 AM
Posted by misterearl:

VDesai - nice exaggeration. The suggestion is NOT that a player like Aaron Gray "randomly becomes" 3-4 times better. Perhaps one might uncover a player with a correctable flaw(s), or an injury, or some imperfection in his game who can work his way at the next level.

Using the example of Gray, whose flaw seems to be quickness and conditioning - the image on the Knicks site was dramatically different that his draft photo from 2006. If, and it is a huge IF, he has worked on losing weight and training as he claims, his projection as a 2006 lottery pick becomes curious.

The elusive Avis Wyatt hails from Division 2 Virginia State. The other player from a smaller conference, and my flava of the week, Ramon Sessions, ("A true floor general with a great size and speed combination....Has a great attitude and continues to improve....He still must improve his consistency and shooting from the perimeter ") could be EXACTLY what the Knicks need in the backcourt.

Perfect? Not really.

but who is?

[Edited by - misterearl on 06-17-2007 09:39 AM]
No exaggerations. The flaw with Aaron Gray? He's not an NBA athlete and he isn't that skilled. This is a player I've seen extensively. When I said a poor man's Todd MacCulloch earlier I meant it. Now MacCulloch helped a bit on the NBA level on the boards but was a defensive liability. I don't think Gray can rebound quite as well and will be just as bad defensively.

misterearl
USA
6/17/2007  2:17 PM
VDesai - what do you think of Ramon Sessions of Nevada?

rembee - he could be our guy just for the 'floor general' tag....

That is unless Marcus Williams, Daequan Cook or Gabe Pruitt ain't our guy
VDesai
USA
6/17/2007  3:05 PM
Mr. Earl- Sessions is a pretty good player. I would've liked to see him stay one more year to see what kind of player he'd be without Fazekas there, but there are times when he reminds me a bit of Andre Miller (I don't think he has quite the scoring ability). Miller had a year to prove his worth without Van Horn there and it really boosted his stock. Thing about Sessions was he was really, really bad offensively as a soph (he improved as a jr.), and I think to some degree he has to prove it one more time. He definitely would be under my consideration at no.23, but we have a boatload of PG's, and I don't think I like Sessions more than Mardy Collins.
misterearl
USA
6/17/2007  7:36 PM
VDesai - I like Mardy Coliins as well. The trick question is:

"could the Knicks backcourt of the future consist of 6'6 Mardy Collins (provided he develops his jumper) at the two guard and 6'3 Sessions or 6'4 Gabe (do it) Pruitt at the point?"

Meanwhile, Channing Frye, Jamal and Nate are FedEx'ed to Seattle in a tasty package for Rashard Lewis.

Hey, it could happen...
Personally I'd Take a Long Hard Look at Aaron Gray of Pitt

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy