[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Latest movies saw
Author Thread
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #1126
USA
8/13/2008  7:28 AM
Saw Stanley Kubrick's 'Paths Of Glory'. Another well shot movie. In the early days of Kubrick, it was his cinematography in b/w that captured the story, even though the stories and actors seemed generic. Although, Kurt Douglas was his first major star in this one. You should check out his 'The Killing' also, if you interested.
I'll never trust this' team again.
AUTOADVERT
USA
8/19/2008  2:11 AM
Watched the Time Machine (61). Still an H.G. Wells classic! They have a great special features on the history of the chair itself. It was auctioned and then lost, only to be found again (in pieces) in a 'thrift store'. Amazing! I realized that this is one of the films that had an influence on my life. Any of you guys ever find films you hadn't seen in years and end up finding something special in them? Fun stuff.
jazz74
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #371
8/26/2008  10:51 AM
Vantage Point: Started VERY promising, almost like a "24" serial. It was very engrossing to view the point of views of different people. Then they "jumped the shark" at the end with a cluttered and the most disappointing and unrealistic ending in awhile. Awful.

Bank Job: Not a typical heist movie as the heist is completed pretty much in the beginning of the movie. It is what unravels because of the heist which makes this interesting. Good movie and Strathman shows his acting chops like he did in "Italian Job". Recommend this movie.

Prom Night: Liked the Jamie Lee Curtis' version. The decapitated head on the runway was classic. This movie doesn't live up to that movie. It is very generic compared to other PG-13 slasher movies. The only difference is that it finally shows the effect the death of a victim has on a love one instead of sweeping it under the rug. Half-decent only.

Lost Boys 2: Another movie I was a fan of in the 80's. This one was complete garbage with half- behind SFX and very laughable dialogue and acting. Feldman was still a riot though as he returned as a Frog brother. Pure mess.

Believe it or not, since I will go back to teaching, I will have more time for movies. This summer was the busiest one I have ever had and that is why its been so long since I posted. However, I have to catch up on a lot of movies so reviews will come in.
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
8/26/2008  11:18 AM
mirrors = garbage
tropic thunder = doo doo

on a side note, finished watching all the episodes of battlestar galactica (from scifi channel). it's been around for 4.5 seasons so far with the final 1/2 season coming up early next year. quality show with alot of political/theological stuff involved. i recommend it.

[Edited by - djsunyc on 08-26-2008 11:19 AM]
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
8/26/2008  12:20 PM
Posted by djsunyc:

mirrors = garbage
tropic thunder = doo doo

on a side note, finished watching all the episodes of battlestar galactica (from scifi channel). it's been around for 4.5 seasons so far with the final 1/2 season coming up early next year. quality show with alot of political/theological stuff involved. i recommend it.

nerd-boy. no wonder you don't have a girlfriend.
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
GKFv2
Alba Posts: 114
Member: #1259
USA
8/26/2008  2:49 PM
Posted by djsunyc:

mirrors = garbage
tropic thunder = doo doo

You have no sense of humor. Tropic Thunder was great. 8/10.
"If I see these refs in front of me I will F* kill them. F** them! If I see their daughters in front of me, I am going to F** them, F** them in the mouth, from the front and the back. I will F** their mothers too." - Darko Milicic
BigC
Member: #829
8/26/2008  5:27 PM
Posted by GKFv2:
Posted by djsunyc:

mirrors = garbage
tropic thunder = doo doo

You have no sense of humor. Tropic Thunder was great. 8/10.
+100

Tropic Thunder was so funny I might go see it again. Tom Cruise had me laughing for hours.

BigC's Knick blogs and Knicks highlights after every Knicks game http://fromthebaseline.com/
jazz74
8/27/2008  11:39 PM
if any of you have netflix and rent episodes of shows like some of you do, i HIGHLY recommend you put jericho on your que. the best show i have seen this millenium imo. if you like lost, 24 and heroes, you will love this show.
USA
8/29/2008  8:22 PM
Jericho? I'll take a look.

Netflexed 'The Russians Are Coming, The Russians Are Coming'. Very, very good movie. Haven't seen it in about 25 years. The cast is great. If you liked 'Its A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World' Then you'll like this one to.

Also saw another surprising one. 'The Front Page' with Lemon and Mathau. Carol Burnett is hilarious! Gave both of these movies five and four stars, if you like old comedy's.
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
9/13/2008  9:03 PM
can't wait for this movie to come out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wNuNazRvJc

[Edited by - TMS on 09-13-2008 6:04 PM]
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
jazz74
9/17/2008  5:20 PM
yeah,tms, that looks good and it doesn't hurt to have my boy gambit in there to boot. well, here are some new movies i saw courtesy of netflix or the theaters ( in one case anyway):

tropic thunder- this is the source of quotable lines because there were plenty. rdj killed it again and he is having a spectacular year. the true scene stealer is tom cruise as he goes against his character type. briliant casting and good comedy. might be offensive to some but i am black and i didn't find it offensive.

strange wilderness- one of those dumb movies that will turn people off or have you laughing your #$% off. i did the latter. it was dumb, true but that humor just hit with me and it made me laugh for days. i would recommend it but i have a feeling that it is a guilty pleasure movie only.

the eye- another retread of japanese horror very atmospheric and good use of cinematography but it is a forgettable yawn. the end reminded me of mothman prophecies which was similar in tone. half-decent.

the ruins- not overly original as it borrows from other ( cabin fever comes to mind) but it was pretty solid in its representation. not a "jump" scare movie ( which i love) but if you like graphic violence, this is very high on the list. decent horror flick.

now that october is coming around, i will put more horror movie in my review courtesy of netflix( love this time of year). so if any of you have a horror movie that you reccomend, please let me know. i think i have the happening on tap soon.
NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
9/17/2008  9:55 PM
Posted by 4949:

Wow' just finished the X-Files. Now to see the movie. The last disk was pretty good and a nice way to go out. In my opinion, this show should have continued. I was just getting used to Monica and Doggett.

I enjoyed the movie, maybe because I am a big X-File fan. I am a closet shipper(X-Files term for someone that wants Mulder and Scully to get it on) and this movie was definately more relationship themed than anything else. I would have liked it more if they did the movie in the theme of "Home" or "Squeeze". I still get chills when I hear Johnnny Mathis singing "Wonderful, Wonderful".

FYI.. If you like the X-Files, the you should check out the new series from Fox called "Fringe". You won't be dissappointed. It is crazy!!!
jazz74
9/22/2008  9:45 PM
saw some more movies. here they are:

forbidden kingdom- i used to watch kung fu theater when i was little EVERY saturday afternoon so i have a little love of the genre in my heart. though i do not really enjoy the recent offerings, i am a jet li fan. i also admire jackie chan so a movie with the two of them is like a movie with deniro/pacino together like heat (not like righteous kill). this did not disappoint. kind of a throwback to the old fantasy tales of the 80's with cool kung fu. the fight scenes are stellar and li/chan had chemistry enough for us wanting more. can't believe li is retiring. highly recommended.

88 minutes- now the other extreme. first off i am a big pacino fan. love his work from the godfather movies to devil's advocate. great actor. however, he made some awful movies like simone and gigli. this movie is on par with those movies. hands down the worst movie in 2008 that i saw. so many plotholes, boring plots, weak acting, corny dialogue and awful setting that it is a shame. there is no redeeming qualities to this movie. pathetic. don't watch this mess. big disappointment.
TMS
USA
9/22/2008  10:37 PM
man, u liked that movie? i dunno man, i'm a big fan of both those guys but this movie was so campy & cheesy i just didn't like it at all... was sorta like Karate Kid 4 meets the Never Ending Story or something... if u wanna see a good Jet Li flick, i HIGHLY recommend this movie:

After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
jazz74
9/23/2008  10:26 AM
Posted by TMS:

man, u liked that movie? i dunno man, i'm a big fan of both those guys but this movie was so campy & cheesy i just didn't like it at all... was sorta like Karate Kid 4 meets the Never Ending Story or something... if u wanna see a good Jet Li flick, i HIGHLY recommend this movie:

yeah, i guess it was rated higher because of nostalgic purposes. like i said, i haven't watched that genre in years and this was presented pretty well. better than big trouble in little china, a similar movie which i thought was entertaining to an extent though VERY cheesy.
TMS
USA
9/23/2008  4:46 PM
that's funny cuz i actually enjoyed the cheesiness in Big Trouble In Little China... hehe, to each their own i guess... definitely check out that movie i reco'd tho... u'll love it (very serious historical epic tho, no cheesiness about it)
jazz74
9/23/2008  8:29 PM
cool. i will put it on my netflix list. after the horror movies though since tis the season.
jazz74
10/14/2008  8:42 AM
saw a couple of movies for the horror season:

untraceable: not as bad as i thought it would be. the concept is chilling and it sort of paints a picture about our techno society and how things stay the same since pretty much the roman times when people wanted to see others die. the ending was ludicrous which makes the rating lower but still decent

feast: this was the movie made by the winner of the amatuer filmmaker reality show by affleck/damon on hbo. you can tell it was amatuerly done with some confusing scenes and chaos. however, the concept wasn't original but there were a lot of suprises. it was smart to present this with quasi-humor but it was forgettable fare. still decent.

the happening- very suprised about this one. i heard how much this suck and what have you and i actually enjoyed it A LOT. this is m. knight's best movie since signs and he FINALLY got the pacing down instead of dragging us all over. the concept, though ridiculous, was chilling. very suspenseful and kept us at the edge of my seat. good horror movie.

run, fat boy, run- i am starting to be a simon pegg fan. he delivered in this one and did well. not hot fuzz or shaun of the dead level, but still good. one thing that he did here was show his acting range as he had emotion instead of playing the same character throughout the movie or playing off another actor. good feel good movie.
Finestrg
Member: #1069

10/19/2008  11:14 PM
Posted by jazz74:

saw a couple of movies for the horror season:

untraceable: not as bad as i thought it would be. the concept is chilling and it sort of paints a picture about our techno society and how things stay the same since pretty much the roman times when people wanted to see others die. the ending was ludicrous which makes the rating lower but still decent

feast: this was the movie made by the winner of the amatuer filmmaker reality show by affleck/damon on hbo. you can tell it was amatuerly done with some confusing scenes and chaos. however, the concept wasn't original but there were a lot of suprises. it was smart to present this with quasi-humor but it was forgettable fare. still decent.

the happening- very suprised about this one. i heard how much this suck and what have you and i actually enjoyed it A LOT. this is m. knight's best movie since signs and he FINALLY got the pacing down instead of dragging us all over. the concept, though ridiculous, was chilling. very suspenseful and kept us at the edge of my seat. good horror movie.

run, fat boy, run- i am starting to be a simon pegg fan. he delivered in this one and did well. not hot fuzz or shaun of the dead level, but still good. one thing that he did here was show his acting range as he had emotion instead of playing the same character throughout the movie or playing off another actor. good feel good movie.

Saw The Happening in the movies and was disappointed, but I'll rent it again and give it another try - there was a lot of stuff I liked about it.

Just saw 30 Days of Night and Star Trek 3: The Search For Spock on TV. Thought they were both very cool. 30 Days was an awesome, in-your-face violent as hell vampire movie. Probably better than the original Salem's Lot with David Soul and I've always considered that the best vamp movie out there. I think it's based on a comic book series and even though I never was into graphic novels, I gotta pick up the sequel comics to see what happens next... I not a huge Star Trek guy though I like movies 1-4, with 2 and 4 being the best. But I forgot how good part 3 was, I gotta say. Cool follow-up story, good effects (something about the model effects in these older SF movies that look way more real than all of the computer imagery they use today), Shatner's always been a ham and over the top but he plays a good Capt. Kirk. Many real cool scenes in this flick including the scene where Kirk steals the Enterprise out of the space hangar. Forgot how much I love a Star Trek flick. LOL!!!
GKFv2
Alba Posts: 114
Member: #1259
USA
11/2/2008  4:11 AM
I finally saw Midnight Run tonight. What a great movie. It's a classic. I'm surprised that it isn't on the IMDB Top 250.
"If I see these refs in front of me I will F* kill them. F** them! If I see their daughters in front of me, I am going to F** them, F** them in the mouth, from the front and the back. I will F** their mothers too." - Darko Milicic
Latest movies saw

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy