[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

cant load the website
Author Thread
Silverfuel
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #268
USA
9/14/2006  7:43 PM
hey man. I'm having a really strange problem connecting to ultimate from one of the PCs of my home network. Its something on my end but I dunno what it is. I got fc5 dual booting on a laptop with windows xp. I can connect to ultimate just fine when I boot into xp but the linux end never loads it. I made sure its not a firewall issue on the linux partition. I also tried different browsers (even the all text links, lynx ones) but nothing. Any ideas?
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
AUTOADVERT
BasketballJones
Alba Posts: 19
Member: #290
USA
9/15/2006  9:16 PM
Posted by Silverfuel:

hey man. I'm having a really strange problem connecting to ultimate from one of the PCs of my home network. Its something on my end but I dunno what it is. I got fc5 dual booting on a laptop with windows xp. I can connect to ultimate just fine when I boot into xp but the linux end never loads it. I made sure its not a firewall issue on the linux partition. I also tried different browsers (even the all text links, lynx ones) but nothing. Any ideas?

Can you get to other web sites?
https:// It's not so hard.
Silverfuel
USA
9/15/2006  10:57 PM
Posted by BasketballJones:

Can you get to other web sites?
yup. Everything else works just fine. ultimate wont!
BasketballJones
USA
9/15/2006  11:32 PM
Well that's pretty weird. How are you connected to the internet? You're not connecting directly using different ip addresses or something like that? (Just trying to think why the same machine would be treated differently under different environments.)
Silverfuel
USA
9/16/2006  6:59 AM

How are you connected to the internet?
Modem -> Wireless Nat Router -> PCs...nothing special.
You're not connecting directly using different ip addresses or something like that? (Just trying to think why the same machine would be treated differently under different environments.)
Same IP address. Its really strange because I was able to get to ultimate from a public proxy server. That can only mean that some hop along the way from my ISP to his ISP is blocking/dropping packets. At the same time, I doubt that a fc5 box has a drastically different TCP stack or issues different packets, so it has to be a fairly smart hop (ie: router) thats dropping packets.

Just so you know, I dont get a 404 or a request timed out. The domain name resolves to the correct IP and the browser just waits for a reply from the server. I think I found someone that can take a look both firewalls and tell me whats going on. Its so frustrating not being able to access the ultimate forums. I generally have the forums open in one of my tabs and I check it every 5 minutes or so. Right now I cant function properly cause that tab never loads!!

[Edited by - Silverfuel on 09-16-2006 07:03 AM]
BasketballJones
USA
9/16/2006  8:02 AM
I'll be intersted to know what it turns out to be.
Silverfuel
USA
9/16/2006  8:37 AM

I'll be intersted to know what it turns out to be.
update: I installed an that lets you surf anonymously. Tor + Privoxy goes through a whole bunch of proxy servers and then returns your http request. I was sure this was going to work but guess what, NO GO!! Whatever...The plan right now is I remote from my linux box into my main windows PC and post from there. I'll figure it out though. I bet its going to be something stupid like ultimateknicks.com from blocked at the system level instead of being added to favorites.
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
9/16/2006  11:08 AM
damn, looks like our experimental firewall blocker script is working to perfection.
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
Silverfuel
USA
9/16/2006  1:26 PM
guess what, another user running FC5 was able to duplicate the issue:

from the thread: http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?p=610784#post610784

Im running FC5 with FF 1.5.0.6
and i can't load that page either. I'm on cable and there's absolotelynothing wrong with my network setup as i set it up and that's the firstpage ive ever seen no load at all.
maybe we should file a bugzilla on this
btw what is the site? contents,etc .. i dont feel like rebooting and seeing it in windows
Silverfuel
USA
9/16/2006  9:21 PM
This is why the Linux community is so amazing and efficient! I posted the problem in the morning and I got the fix in the evening. It had nothing to do with the ultimate firewall or anything else. Its a setting that needs to be changed thats set by default in the FC5 kernel.

Fix: sysctl -w net.ipv4.tcp_window_scaling=0

Man page: http://tautology.org/software/man/sysctl
martin
USA
9/16/2006  9:35 PM
amazing. good thing it wasn't us.
Silverfuel
USA
9/17/2006  7:20 AM
LOL! I'm so happy its fixed. Really...I cant describe my joy in words.

EDIT: Your ISP has a router that wants to change the amount of data its sending (not default) in TCP packets and then forgetting change in the acknowledgement. FC5 kernel sets the default window size and lowers it or raises it based on the amount of RAM. http://lwn.net/Articles/92727/
The details are still being figured out, but it would appear that some routers on the net are rewriting the window scale TCP option on SYN packets as they pass through. In particular, they seem to be setting the scale factor to zero, but leaving the option in place. The receiving side sees the option, and responds with a window scale factor of its own. At this point, the initiating system believes that its scale factor has been accepted, and scales its windows accordingly. The other end, however, believes that the scale factor is zero. The result is a misunderstanding over the real size of the receive window, with the system behind the firewall believing it to be much smaller than it really is. If the expected scale factor (and thus the discrepancy) is large, the result is, at best, very slow communication. In many cases, the small window can cause no packets to be transmitted at all, breaking TCP between the two affected systems entirely.

In the 2.6.7 kernel, the default scale factor is zero; in Linus's BitKeeper tree and the 2.6.7-mm kernels, instead, it has been increased to seven. This change has brought the broken router behavior to light; suddenly people running current kernels are finding that they cannot talk to a number of systems out there. One of the higher-profile affected sites is packages.gentoo.org. Gentoo users are, unsurprisingly, not pleased.

The problem is with remote sites, not Linux boxes running 2.6.17+. The change made to tcp window scaling in 2.6.17 was intended to fully comply with RFC1323.

You're not seeing it probably because you have less than, say, 512MB of memory in your machine. The tcp window scale factor is set based upon the quantity of memory available to the OS for a tcp window. More RAM available => bigger scale factor.

[Edited by - Silverfuel on 09-17-2006 10:06 AM]
martin
USA
9/17/2006  11:59 AM
wow, I am just going to pretend I understand all of that and then move along. I wonder if I should forward this to Time Warner.
BasketballJones
USA
9/17/2006  2:35 PM
Posted by martin:

I wonder if I should forward this to Time Warner.

HA HA HA HA HA HA! heh, heh, heh - good one Martin.
Silverfuel
USA
9/17/2006  6:28 PM
Posted by martin:

wow, I am just going to pretend I understand all of that and then move along. I wonder if I should forward this to Time Warner.
They wont do anything unless its a problem affecting the windows stack. I dont blame them cause Linux only has 13% of the market share and Microsoft dictates whats standard. No big deal as long as there is a fix for it.

P.S: There could be a problem with windows cause micrsoft is apparently writing new code for the Vista TCP Stack (dubbed, vista's virgin stack). http://securitydot.net/news/exploits/vulnerabilities/articles/2284/news.html
http://www.varbusiness.com/sections/technology/tech.jhtml?articleId=190800013
Dont upgrade to Vista unless you are an early adopter.

[Edited by - Silverfuel on 09-17-2006 6:44 PM]
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #1126
USA
10/12/2006  10:03 PM
Posted by Silverfuel:
Posted by martin:

They wont do anything unless its a problem affecting the windows stack. I dont blame them cause Linux only has 13% of the market share and Microsoft dictates whats standard. No big deal as long as there is a fix for it.

P.S: There could be a problem with windows cause micrsoft is apparently writing new code for the Vista TCP Stack (dubbed, vista's virgin stack). http://securitydot.net/news/exploits/vulnerabilities/articles/2284/news.html
http://www.varbusiness.com/sections/technology/tech.jhtml?articleId=190800013
Dont upgrade to Vista unless you are an early adopter.

[Edited by - Silverfuel on 09-17-2006 6:44 PM]

You know, when I started to read about your problem, I figured it would probably be because of Bill Gates. You damn nerds!
I'll never trust this' team again.
Silverfuel
USA
10/12/2006  11:21 PM
Posted by 4949:

You know, when I started to read about your problem, I figured it would probably be because of Bill Gates. You damn nerds!
Looks like you only started reading but didnt finish. It had nothing to do with Bill Gates. It's cool though. Technically, he is to blame for everything.
Silverfuel
USA
8/17/2007  5:01 PM
Product : Fedora Core 7
Version : 2.6.22.2
Release : 52.fc7

Same problem, same fix.

Martin, can I get the title change to include linux kernel problem in there somewher? Easier to find it that way to locate the fix. Thanks man.
martin
USA
8/17/2007  10:19 PM
^ dude, it's like 4am where I am and I am piss drunk. WTF! Post this **** in the Alba thread so I get my "hopes" up
UKDad
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #31
USA
8/17/2007  11:42 PM
And what is my son doing piss drunk in the UK... Gotta get up in the am and catch that plane back to the States...

What did bring up here... Of course, his sister can drink him under the table. She has the hollow leg in the family.
The Old Man of UK...
cant load the website

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy