[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

McDyess IS out for the season, what now
Author Thread
knixphan
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #258
Switzerland
10/14/2002  12:37 PM
You guys are saying 'BUM KNEE' Like you're surgeons, and Followed Antonio around since college...It's not a bum knee, he injured it. Patrick Ewing's knees were 'Bum' at the end of his career.

The trade was a sound one,, and the facts are:

-WE DO NOT KNOW how Dice will heal, so THE JURY IS OUT.
-WE DO KNOT KNOW what the NYK will get for the exception, nor how Chaney will run the squad. Let's not try to figure out the entire season just yet. Lots of stuff can happen. And if, by chance Dice recovers at the end of the season? If the Knicks have done well by then? Will we not be happy?
"I will dress in bright and cheery colors, and so throw my enemies into confusion."
AUTOADVERT
DefAndReb
Member: #336
10/14/2002  1:04 PM
1995-Kevin Garnett (how many years to make playoffs and still be a first round out?)
1996 Ray allen Antoine Walker oh yes pick 13 was Kobe (how many years to playoffs for each? LA was good team when they got Kobe, btw, not a mediocre team, and Kobe's growth as a player is exceptional)
1997 ron mercer tim thomas 9th pick tracy mcgrady (and mcgrady spent three seasons in relative obscurity before breaking out, Mercer sucks and Thomas is nothing to write home about)
1998 vince carter jason williams 9th pick dirk nowitski 10 th pick paul pierce (vince carter has a lot to prove this year; he's definitely been in a funk, I already mentioned Pierce is great but took a few years to get to playoffs)
1999 sczerbiak andre miller rip hamilton (and only sczerbiak has been in playoffs, and is not a great player, just a decent one)
2000 mike miller (solid player, but more of a role guy)
2001 jason richardson eddie griffin shane battier (not impressed by these guys yet in NBA)

So you see. Only three or four guys out of 50 or so non-top-3 players will turn a team around. Do you see my point yet? Most of these guys you mentioned aren't as good as you make them out to be. You're fooling yourself. The odds don't lie.

I've said twice already, you CAN get a great player like Pierce, but the odds are you won't at 7th pick, and when you do he will take a few years to get good. Notice Riley and JVG wouldn't play rookies unless all other options were exhausted? Can you guess why? It's because, for the most part, they are not as good as veteran players, EVEN IF THEY ARE MORE TALENTED, THEY CAN'T PLAY "D" AGAINST PRO'S MOST OF THE TIME.
Posted by BRIGGS:

You make NO sense---I outlined to you picks 5-7 from 1995 on that list arguably are 5 - of the games top 7 players.

Top 7 players? Gasol? Gooden? Butler? You're joking. Those guys are not in the top half.
Your arguement was that you cant get a good pick[a pick that changes the landscape od the team for 10 years] if you dont have 1-3 and that is false.

No, that wasn't my point. You misread my statements. My point is you take risk on a veteran rather than a risk on a young guy, because even if the young guy is good, he won't be making the contribution you need THIS SEASON (if he does, then you got lucky). 10 years? What league are you talking about?
you are making a claim that the Knicks HAVe to make the playoffs--well let this go through your head if you cant grasp the point--the TALENT level is well below the standard to make the playoffs.

If they had kept Camby, Jackson, and gotten Butler/Wilcox/Wagner/Hilario, they DEFINITELY wouldn't make the playoffs. Understand? Camby would not be playing, Jackson is worse then Ward and Eisley now, and the others are bench meat.
Antonio Mcdyess has now hurt the same kneee three times in 18 months--you can classify him as done and if he comes back and stays healthy it will be a +. The Knicks will miss the playoffs for 2 straight years and are only getting worse and older. Your proclomation that the Knicks need to make the playoffs is irrelevant because they ARENOT!

Hey, Sherlock, we're not talking about now, we're talking about draft day, remember? You guys say it's Layden's fault the Knicks are in this situation. I'll say Eisley, Anderson, Houston's undeserved contract, Rice, Longley, and Mark Jackson are all Layden's fault. McDyess is NOT. He HAD to take that risk. Jerry West would have had to take that risk. Rod Thorn, too.
There is no magic 8 ball here--the Knicks GAMBLED and lost BIG TIME. there is NO bad luck--there is high risk--they risked that a player who hurt the same kneee cap 2 years in a row--wouldnt do it again. You know what it wasnt even close. The ONLy way the Knicks make the playoffs now is picking up 2-3 high caliber young basketball players and build a new core.

7th draft pick is "higher risk" (risk does not discount luck, btw) than McDyess, then and now. And about "young core", tell that to the Dolans. No, now Layden desperately needs to trade to see if he can get someone who can make the team competitive NOW. If they go into rebuilding mode, they will rue the day. So will the fans. Ask Chicago. Ask Golden State. For every one example of a rebuilding success story, I can show you five that failed. If Jason Kidd beat his wife again and went to jail, you'd blame Rod Thorn for making a bad deal, wouldn't you?
the team as we know it is shot. No one on this team may even play for the Knicks in the playoffs again--thats how serious this situation is. The year to make the playoffs was this year. With many unstable teams --even though the knicks were small they had a legit shot at a 6-8 seed. Now they are the WORST team in the league .

And how would they be if they kept the 7th pick? Not a playoff team this year, I guarantee it. Again, easy for you and others to criticize Layden's choice here AFTER the fact. If McDyess didn't get hurt and got them into the playoffs, you and the other whiners would be licking Layden's brown pucker in thanks.
levland is better Miami is better and those teams will only improve. There is no playoffs for the Knicks for quite awhile--that is the truth--the bottom line. The Knicks need to change philosophy or they will continue to miss the playoffs for YEARS upon years.

You're speaking from a fan perspective, which is irrelevant to how business is conducted. Mark Cuban and Nellie didn't rebuild. They just built. When Riley turned Miami from lottery team to playoff competitor, he didn't rebuild. Thorn didn't blow up the team in NJ, he worked with what he had.

If you say Layden should go, I won't argue with that. I agree. But he still has until the trade deadline to prove himself. Firing him right now would be wildly incompetent. Starting a rebuilding in preseason is amateurish. You'll just have to suffer and watch like the rest of us.
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
10/14/2002  2:01 PM
Without using a belligerent tone--i dont think you are getting my point. forget draft picks forget anything like that--the BOTTOM line is the Knicks have the highest payroll and will probably win 20 games. If Layden was forced into making the dice deal whoever made the deal-they GAMBLED and lost big 50+mm and losing seasons which will cost significantly more. My point and or arguement with you is that the Knicks WILL not make the playoffs[unless they get a number 1 pick next year] for YEARS now. There is a high probabilty that Mcdyes is done- you cannot count on him again-not with three injuries to the same knee in 18 months. Your point is the NY Knicks have to make the playoffs and gambled EVERYTHING on it and lost. If they had gone the route of making a qaulity pick and adding one more quality young player to the current lineup we would still be competitive for the playoffs BUt wed have that blue chip in our pocket. It wouldve shortened the path to the playoffs in the long run and the company and team can manage the risk. This play has blown up so bad in their face that I doubt anything like this will happen again. The Knicks need to forget the word playoffs and build a team that can STAY in the playoffs for 10 years and are stable enough to take injury hits. even if we get lebron there is no lock on any playoff next year no way. This has moved to a 3-4 year timetable and you are playing against the clock as younger teams mature. This is what Id call a climax of a very bad point in Knick history--they better build the ship back up with fundamentals through the draft and taking chances like Idiana did--trading vets for jermaine oneal and bender. Screaming the dolans need the playoffs is mute-it isnt happening anytime soon-no way. so you better make the attempt to fix the boat right for the long term.
RIP Crushalot😞
BigSm00th
Member: #178
USA
10/14/2002  3:08 PM
Briggs, I agree that they need to rebuild, but there is no way in the world that they can do what the Pacers did. The Knicks aren't a playoff contender anymore, and there are no Dale Davis's on this team. This team is very bad, and you will agree with me on that. The Knicks need patience, I saw the McDyess trade as a win-win. His contract expires after next season, along with several others. After 2004-2005, more contracts come off. With 2 lotto picks to build around, and more cap space, the Knicks will rebuild. This is the only way for them to go, it's hit rock bottom. It's going to be a long and painful process. You've always wanted them to stop and rebuild, and they finally are.
#Knickstaps
knixphan
Switzerland
10/14/2002  3:18 PM
I think we're all overestimating (slightly) what it really takes to make the playoffs in the east. The Knicks could have decided NOT to quit last year - And I guarantee they could have been in...

Winning it ALL is an entirely different matter. I still don't see how you unload Houston's contract anyway...So you might as well accept the Dolanism for now...None of us (really) like it, but most New Yorkers still have no patience whatsoever...Look at how we respond to a broken bone! (Which heals better than a ligament)...The sky is falling!
"I will dress in bright and cheery colors, and so throw my enemies into confusion."
DefAndReb
10/14/2002  5:43 PM
Posted by BRIGGS:

Without using a belligerent tone--i dont think you are getting my point.

No worries, Briggs, I get your point. And I agree that the Knicks are f@!#d, and I am well aware of the brutal season about to happen. We're all fans here and we're all unhappy! Just making sure you were getting my point, that the McDyess trade was a necessary risk, and, had it worked out okay, Knicks would have better shot at postseason than w/7th pick, a pick which has less chance of succeeding than a talented young All-Star who had 1 major injury. Layden's failures are many, but this trade was his best chance at the time. I think it's more indicative of Layden being a human bad luck charm, the anti-John Salley, if you will.

Don't be surprised if the Knicks play the same old line "we're always looking to improve the team, we're pretty happy with the team we have". But it's not Layden's doing, it's the Dolans. I predict, given the Knicks will not win very many games, Chaney will be out the door before Layden. Make no mistake, Briggs, I will be as relieved as you when Schmayden's gone.

If it were up to me, I would have started rebuilding after the 1999-2000 season, or at least done some serious remodeling. Didn't happen. But when Schmayden gave Houston that unbelievable contract, I knew rebuilding was out of the question. If faced with rebuilding, the Dolans will probably sell the team to some other corporate interest, one that may know even LESS about the game. Most Knick tickets are sold to corporations and fair-weather fans with wads of cash. They're not cheap, so one or two years of rebuilding will be a big painful shot to the wallet for Knicks owners. Dolans won't do it. Rebuilding only happens if they sell to someone who loves the game and has lots and lots of cash (Jerry, Spike, Woody, you guys just jump in any time).

BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
10/14/2002  6:24 PM
It wont be any easy sell in this economy--first off would they look for owners for the whole msg unit--what are they going to do about the put option coming due FOX in weeks that totals 40% value of the entire unit? luxury tax payments due perhaps for years with a sky high payroll? the value of the team could be 2/3 of what it was worth 2 years ago. It looks like to me that corporations are getting out of the sports business and the dolans would be better off selling piece by piece.
RIP Crushalot😞
john44
Member: #115
USA
10/14/2002  10:01 PM
its hard to rebuild in New York but its what has to be done. If we package spree and thomas we could get maybe a draft pick or a few people whos contracts r up after this year or next year. the only one who i would say is untradeable is houston because of his contract. Also in class today i was trying to think of the knicks starting five from the 1999. i got ewing lj houston and ward but i couldnt think of the power foward. because spree started off on the bench.
Matt
knixphan
Switzerland
10/15/2002  1:26 PM
Unless there's a hostile Cablevision takeover, there will be no official rebuild, no knee-jerk reaction on the part of Dolan. Yes contracts will have to expire, but there will be no Spree or Houston for picks trades. Just not realistic. We have to focus our hopes within the framework of what management might actually do, as opposed to what the fans would do. Just a thought-
nwny
Member: #284
10/15/2002  5:24 PM
Posted by DefAndReb:

And fate said, "Ho ho ho, not so fast, Cablevision."
Good post. This is the first funny thing I've read about this whole situation.
DefAndReb
10/15/2002  5:40 PM
Thanks, I'm nothing if not silly.
Posted by nwny:
Posted by DefAndReb:

And fate said, "Ho ho ho, not so fast, Cablevision."
Good post. This is the first funny thing I've read about this whole situation.
nwny
10/15/2002  5:50 PM
Posted by john44:

its hard to rebuild in New York but its what has to be done. If we package spree and thomas we could get maybe a draft pick or a few people whos contracts r up after this year or next year. the only one who i would say is untradeable is houston because of his contract. Also in class today i was trying to think of the knicks starting five from the 1999. i got ewing lj houston and ward but i couldnt think of the power foward. because spree started off on the bench.
Hmm, I may be wrong but I think LJ played PF and Chris Mills played SF, and Doug Christie came off the bench to play swing Man.
LJ2
Member: #239
USA
10/15/2002  6:18 PM
Posted by nwny:
Posted by john44:

Hmm, I may be wrong but I think LJ played PF and Chris Mills played SF, and Doug Christie came off the bench to play swing Man.

Mills wasn't on the team in the 98-99 season. Doug Christie wasn't on the team either. Mills and Starks were traded for Spree prior to the start of that season. But still don't know who that 5th was?
nyballer
Member: #108
USA
10/15/2002  6:25 PM
Posted by LJ2:
Posted by nwny:
Posted by john44:

Mills wasn't on the team in the 98-99 season. Doug Christie wasn't on the team either. Mills and Starks were traded for Spree prior to the start of that season. But still don't know who that 5th was?
It was KT wasn't it?
"easy like sunday morning..." - walt clyde
nwny
10/15/2002  10:29 PM
Posted by nyballer:
Posted by LJ2:
Posted by nwny:
Posted by john44:

It was KT wasn't it?
If you're talking about the strike year (98-99)then KT was the starting PF.
Roster
Ewing
KT
LJ
Houston
Ward

If you mean 99-00 then the roster was
Ewing
LJ
Spree
Houston
Ward
for most of the season.
DaMano718
Member: #342
10/16/2002  12:23 PM
Layden is not to blame.. The reason for the Knicks failure is due to Grunfeld. This team was on its way down the day they traded Charles Oakley. Him and starks were the heart of the team. In return for them, they got Camby( a bust), and Sprewell( too much for organization to handle). They lost their defensive tenacity, and attempted to be an offesive based team. And unless you have someone like shaq, or jordan who can guarantee their productivity, you cannot afford to lose your defensiveness. The players we have on the knicks are hi-level role players. We have no superstars. Houston scores 20 points a game only because no one else can. Unless this team gets a real point guard, they will be a sub-500 team for a long time. Frank Williams better step it up.
DefAndReb
10/16/2002  1:06 PM
I pretty much agree with this. But the fact that the first season with Camby and Sprewell resulted in a finals appearance made it seem like the Knicks were on the right path. Turns out it really WAS a fluke, maybe for the Spurs, too. Neither team has come very close to repeating a conference championship since then.

Oakley was unhappy with Ewing's denial (Pat's performance was slipping badly, but Pat still insisted on being the focal point all the time) and Starks was starting the downslide, too. Though I think Kurt T has come a long way, he's still no Oakley. And Starks? All heart, sometimes no head, but all heart. Houston may be a nice guy, but he doesn't inspire confidence.
Posted by DaMano718:

Layden is not to blame.. The reason for the Knicks failure is due to Grunfeld. This team was on its way down the day they traded Charles Oakley. Him and starks were the heart of the team. In return for them, they got Camby( a bust), and Sprewell( too much for organization to handle). They lost their defensive tenacity, and attempted to be an offesive based team. And unless you have someone like shaq, or jordan who can guarantee their productivity, you cannot afford to lose your defensiveness. The players we have on the knicks are hi-level role players. We have no superstars. Houston scores 20 points a game only because no one else can. Unless this team gets a real point guard, they will be a sub-500 team for a long time. Frank Williams better step it up.
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
10/16/2002  4:01 PM
The way i see it is we trade Ward and Knight for Fortson and Mills. Let Fortson come into the line-up and he will do a nice job. Mills is out for awhile i believe, but he can take all the time he needs to get healthy. Then when Frank Williams comes back we insert him into the starting line-up or at least let him and Eisley split time, unless Williams proves to be that much better. If McDyess is going to be out for the year we might as well try to develop our young talent(Williams) and allow him to run with the big guns(Sprewell and Houston) and hopefully we will end up a lot more talented in the long run with the addition of Fortson, an injury exception which hopefully we can use, and a solid draft choice in next year's draft.
WOODMANnYk
Member: #529
USA
10/16/2002  8:48 PM
Posted by nykfan37:

I don't think we're bad enough to get Lebron James. We're probably in the same position as last year... What I really hate about this is we basically just gave away that pick for nothing.....this is a recuring injury...if it wouldn't of happened last night it would of happened during the season anyways, so he won't be helping us next year either.

We didn't give the pick for nothing. we got Frank Williams@24 and Denver's pick for next yr, i think it's 2nd round..
The Future. GO KNICKS!
nwny
10/16/2002  9:26 PM
Posted by DaMano718:

I can't belive you would say this. This is nuts. Look at what Oakley did the next seaon in Toronto. 7 PPG 7.5 RPG starting, and Camby 7.2 PPG and 5.5 RPG coming of the bench. With Ewings legs going Camby gave us a shot blocker so Ewing could stay on the floor. The Camby for Oakley trade was in NY favor but I could see how an argument could be made in the other direction. The Spree for Starks/Mills trade? Man, I'm not even going to debate that with you. Anyone who thinks this wasn't a steal for the Knicks is crazy.
As for your comment about "Layden is not to blame". Have you been asleep for the last few years?
1-Houston contract
2-Ewing for Rice
3-Rice for Eisley and Anderson
4-Eisley and Anderson's contract
5-Spoon's contract
Which one of these was a good? None dude, none. Layden is to blame, and saying he's not is stupid. The only agrument that could be made in his favor is if you said Dolan made him do it. Either way these moves were, bad, bad, bad.
McDyess IS out for the season, what now

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy