McDyess IS out for the season, what now
Author Thread
WOODMANnYk
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #529
USA
10/13/2002  11:40 PM
Posted by falcindor:

There are alot of idiots out there who blame Layden. Those are probably the same people who blame the FBI for 9/11. Not everything is predictable. This injury was a freak accident. Sure it hurts that hes out, but it was the right move to be made. Knix arent quite done we have options. I think we should move back to the half court set and get a fierce rebounder like Fortson. Spree will be instrumental this season and cannot be traded.
YOU'RE THE BIGGEST IDIOT IF YOU THINK LAYDOWN DOESN'T DESERVE TO BE BLAMED. C'MON MAN WAKE THE F-CK-D UP!!! WAKE UP!!!! YOU MUST'VE BEEN COMATOSE! WHY WOULD YOU GIVE UP YOUR #7 PICK AND 2 PLAYERS BUT TO GET BACK A HIGH RISK PLAYER WHO HAD SURGERY ON HIS KNEE. MOST PEOPLE DIDN'T LIKE THE TRADE TO BEGIN WITH. LAYDOWN HAD OTHER OPTIONS HE COULD'VE UTILIZED BUT NOOOOOO, HE GAMBLED AND ROLLED THE DYESS ONLY TO GET CRAPPED OUT. LAYDOWN NEEDS TO GO IF HE WANTS TO SAVE THE KNICKS. HE HANDLED THE SPREE SITUATION HORRIBLY AND WAS HEAVLIY CRITCIZED FOR IT. HAVE YOU BEEN READING THE PAPERS OVER THE LAST 3 TO 4 MONTHS. IF HEALTHLY,LAYDOWN IS A GENIUS FOR DOING THIS TRADE BUT IF MCDYESS REMAINS WITH THE BUM KNEE THEN LAYDEN LOSESON THE GAMBLE. HE NEEDS TO GO IMMEDIATELY BEFORE HE MAKES MORE DAMN ENEMIES.
The Future. GO KNICKS!
AUTOADVERT
falcindor
Member: #42
USA
10/14/2002  12:24 AM
If we got back Shaq and he got hurt u would blame Layden. Not everything is sombodys fault. Hey while your at it blame Eisley for missing the shot. Its an accident time to move on.
Fritz Alcindor Jr. *FUTURE KNICK GM* falcindor@hotmail.com
ScooterSLP
Member: #198
USA
10/14/2002  12:30 AM
I think Scott Layden is an idiot. I hate every deal he's made for the Knicks... except this one.

Scott Layden was not the doctor that gave the physical. He did not read the MRI or the X-rays, he did not administer the stress tests for McDyess' knee, and he most certainly was not the one that broke the kneecap. That being said, tell me where you can blame Layden. He had two opinions on McDyess' knee saying it was sound, in fact stronger than pre-surgery tests. Wouldn't you trade a slow point guard and a frail "center" for a 20/10 power forward?
Posted by knicksbb10:

YOU'RE THE BIGGEST IDIOT IF YOU THINK LAYDOWN DOESN'T DESERVE TO BE BLAMED. C'MON MAN WAKE THE F-CK-D UP!!! WAKE UP!!!! YOU MUST'VE BEEN COMATOSE! WHY WOULD YOU GIVE UP YOUR #7 PICK AND 2 PLAYERS BUT TO GET BACK A HIGH RISK PLAYER WHO HAD SURGERY ON HIS KNEE. MOST PEOPLE DIDN'T LIKE THE TRADE TO BEGIN WITH. LAYDOWN HAD OTHER OPTIONS HE COULD'VE UTILIZED BUT NOOOOOO, HE GAMBLED AND ROLLED THE DYESS ONLY TO GET CRAPPED OUT. LAYDOWN NEEDS TO GO IF HE WANTS TO SAVE THE KNICKS. HE HANDLED THE SPREE SITUATION HORRIBLY AND WAS HEAVLIY CRITCIZED FOR IT. HAVE YOU BEEN READING THE PAPERS OVER THE LAST 3 TO 4 MONTHS. IF HEALTHLY,LAYDOWN IS A GENIUS FOR DOING THIS TRADE BUT IF MCDYESS REMAINS WITH THE BUM KNEE THEN LAYDEN LOSESON THE GAMBLE. HE NEEDS TO GO IMMEDIATELY BEFORE HE MAKES MORE DAMN ENEMIES.

-------------------
READY TO ROLL WITH MCDYESS #34
nykfan37
Member: #118
10/14/2002  12:39 AM
Wouldn't you trade a slow point guard and a frail "center" for a 20/10 power forward?

You conveniently left out a Lottery Pick and the word "Injured" before power forward.
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
10/14/2002  12:39 AM
Well they might as well sell the team because the Knicks arent going to see the playoffs anytime soon. Huge risk no hedge with a bust=doom. This is the HIGHEST payrolled team in the NBA and that wont change next year--we have luxury tax payments of near 50mm per and we wil be winning 20 games a year--for those who think that you cant get a good pick at 7 go back and study the draft instead of shooting your mouth off. This is the epitome of a joke. this business model doesnt work anymore is flawed the nba changed and the knicks didnt change with it. Now under poor management they face years of no playoffs. High risk can have devastating results if it goes backwards on u.
RIP Crushalot😞
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
10/14/2002  12:40 AM
I agree layden has to go before he makes another mistake...things just get worst for the knicks under layden. By the way, nene is playing well and all fantasy scouts are calling him a sleeper. He could've played center for us and our lineup would've been nene, thomas, spree, houston, and mmmmmWard...at least thomas would've been playing his position and we would've had camby for 30 games at least instead of having dyess for none. I love dyess and I was really excited about this season and he looked great but he re-injured his surgically repair knee. He walked off the court!! its not like he had a freak accident that goes to show that his knee wasn't ready and he wasn't diagnosed correctly buy knick doctors and chaney should've broken him in not play him for 38min in his 2nd pre-season game. This organization does everything as backwards I've had it! Iwish we never hired layden grunfeld, ewing, and van gundy back instead of layden, chaney, howard eisley, shaddon anderson, and spoon!!!! GOD SAVE THE KNICKS!!!!
ScooterSLP
Member: #198
USA
10/14/2002  1:13 AM
I'm aware that the lottery pick was included. There's also this moron thing I do, called thinking. I "conveniently" left out the word "injured" because McDyess wasn't injured when the trade occurred. He was rehabbed, playing full-court games in Houston, and ready to go. This was a random injury. I asked you this before... how critical would you be of this trade if he hurt his right knee?
Posted by nykfan37:
Wouldn't you trade a slow point guard and a frail "center" for a 20/10 power forward?

You conveniently left out a Lottery Pick and the word "Injured" before power forward.
BigSm00th
Member: #178
USA
10/14/2002  1:39 AM
Everyone always blamed Layden last offseason for not taking a chance. He took a chance and it blew up in his face. So what, McDyess was playing AWESOME and he got hurt. It was a risk, there is never a 100% chance a trade won't work. If McDyess played the year the Knicks would've made the playoffs. I bet everyone would complain then. Give me a break.
#Knickstaps
falcindor
USA
10/14/2002  5:51 AM
how else do you see yourself getting a dominant PF. Hey they dont give away all-stars for 36y/o slow PG (who should have been waived) and always injured stick figure (who was being shopped like a madman last season) . Dont give me some Nene would have been better trash. I dont want to sit in the lottery for 4 years and while Houston and Spree get 4 years older and pray this foreign kid is any good. Layden made the right move but he should be punished for his previous blunders. He should be punished for not getting woods, getting chenowith, going overboard with Spree,signing eisley for 6mil per year, trading a pick to get harrington (who we didnt need). This is a totally different injury than before, how can u blame a doctor or anybody.
DefAndReb
Member: #336
10/14/2002  8:09 AM
Let's see, I have a choice between a PF who can contribute NOW or a 7th pick who can maybe contribute next year or the year after, IF he can contribute at all, and maybe by the time he gets good, he leaves for another team. Hmmm, what do I do?

C'mon. All you people who think teams turn around on anything below top 3 pick (and even that's a big IF) are just fooling yourselves.

I'll say it again. The chance of you seeing a rebuilding process with the Knicks (2-4 years of no playoffs, young players with big upside, exciting but flawed basketball) is almost ZERO. NY City (the fans, the media, the TICKET BUYERS) won't be able to handle it, and without money coming in, there's no point in having a team in NYC.

I mean, look at the whining already about this deal. A bunch of Monday morning QB's. You think this same mentality can handle Bulls or Warriors-quality teams? No way. The method will, and should, always be to get veterans and two or three superstars (and let's be honest, Spree and Houston are NOT superstars, you won't see them in the Hall of Fame.)
Posted by BRIGGS:

Well they might as well sell the team because the Knicks arent going to see the playoffs anytime soon. Huge risk no hedge with a bust=doom. This is the HIGHEST payrolled team in the NBA and that wont change next year--we have luxury tax payments of near 50mm per and we wil be winning 20 games a year--for those who think that you cant get a good pick at 7 go back and study the draft instead of shooting your mouth off. This is the epitome of a joke. this business model doesnt work anymore is flawed the nba changed and the knicks didnt change with it. Now under poor management they face years of no playoffs. High risk can have devastating results if it goes backwards on u.
falcindor
USA
10/14/2002  8:35 AM
So basically the guy was saying:

Lets get a young foreign player who MIGHT be good in 3 years and lets start being good in 3years when Spree is 35, Houston is 33. If you want to go in that direction you need to completely overhaul the team, which wont happen in NY. NY needs to win soon before their best players get too old. Dyess will probably return if the Knicks are playoff bound. I think the Knicks should try to eek into the playoffs and then have Dyess rejoin the team and see how the team does. Spree will be in his final year of his contract next season. Depending on how well he does we can decide to trade Spree for up and comming talent since some teams want to clear cap or resign Spree.
BRIGGS
10/14/2002  8:55 AM
Sorry he injured the same part of the knee he had surgery on last year. the odds of this being a freak occurence is probably nill. If you read my article that I posted from the Cowboy training camp--or go around the web and research patella tendon/fracture injuries---you will find out that there is a high risk of recurring injury and tendinitis. The fact that he fractured the same knee has a HIGH probabilty that their were micro-fractures and instability behind the kneecap that shattered once mcdyess came down awkwardly. How many people fall akwardly in basketball and do not injure themselves? usually if it is a knee injury it has something to do with a ligament--all of dice's injury are in the same area of the knee. Whatever justification that you want to make--that he tested strong--that the doctors passsed him--doesnt mean jack--the fact remains that he admitted to feeling pain as late as this summer and he last all but 2 1/2 games in pre-season. There is no X-file-the knee was not completely stable.
RIP Crushalot😞
BRIGGS
10/14/2002  9:22 AM
Another post with absolutely no reason or fact behind it. You know who has been the best player in the NBA in the pre-season so far Dwight Gooden--the 4th pick in the draft yep this isnt summer league. How good was the 4th player in the draft last year? Pau gasol umm I would say having a 20 year old who averaged 20-10 is pretty uremarkable. Who is the Heat Leading scorer this summer Caron Butler pick-10 who dunked the ball over ditkemebe mutumbo twice the other night and had 15 pts 5 rbds abnd a block in 25 mts? that would be pick 9 the 19 year old amere stoudemire the same kid who destroyed kwame brown eddie curry and tyson chandler when he was 17. who is the nuggets high scorer this year nene hilario pick 7 these guys have all been impact players at 19-20 21 years old. And they will only get better.

Players picked from 5-7 from 1995 forget picks 1-4
1995-Kevin Garnett
1996 Ray allen Antoine Walker oh yes pick 13 was Kobe
1997 ron mercer tim thomas 9th pick tracy mcgrady
1998 vince carter jason williams 9th pick dirk nowitski 10 th pick paul pierce
1999 sczerbiak andre miller rip hamilton
2000 mike miller
2001 jason richardson eddie griffin shane battier

The bottom line --the BOTTOM line is Antonio Mcdyess WILL NOT play for the NY Knicks and THEIR VETERANS and all stars that cost 80+MM-dice will win 20+ games this year. the Knicks will miss the playoffs miserably and attendance will be shockingly low and they will have MASSIVE operational losses--business model =BROKEN.

If you follow the Idianan Pacers who had the same amount of success as the Knicks during the 90s they knew when to retool the team completely WITHOUT missing the playoffs. Now they have the most talent in the east-----obviously they have higher intelligent level in the front office /ownership group.Look how Dolan has run CVC into the ground. Little fairies are not dancing at MSG and this is a MASSIVe rebuilding job. Dont count on AM cdyess anymore IF he comes back count him as a guy who will never be considered physically stable again.
RIP Crushalot😞
falcindor
USA
10/14/2002  9:23 AM
I have the same expirence. I had bruised ligments when I fell and my leg bent the wrong way (ouch is right). Its been 6 months and leg finally feels great like ive never hurt it, but if you get physical for and extented period of time its really easy to re injure it.
WOODMANnYk
USA
10/14/2002  11:21 AM
Posted by BigSm00th:

Everyone always blamed Layden last offseason for not taking a chance. He took a chance and it blew up in his face. So what, McDyess was playing AWESOME and he got hurt. It was a risk, there is never a 100% chance a trade won't work. If McDyess played the year the Knicks would've made the playoffs. I bet everyone would complain then. Give me a break.
My mAn, you need to wake up!! Majority of the fans did not like this trade base on the facts invovled. McDyess had a bad knee which required surgery twice. You're taking a big chance not knowing if the knee would ever hold up. The knee is a very critical part of the body when it comes to playing sports especially B-ball. WHen you have a guy like Mcdyess constantly jumping for rebounds, your probability of him reinjuring that knee is huge. If he was a spot-up shooter like Danny Manning, the situatuion would've been different. Manning had like 4 to 5 different knee operations but he's a shooter not a inside player like McDyess. It was a bad move for LAYDUM when you'e dealing with injured players. Look it Grant Hill! He broke his ankle in the playoffs but orlando still gave him the contract. Now he's returning 2 yrs later.
The Future. GO KNICKS!
nykfan37
Member: #118
10/14/2002  11:26 AM
"While Layden said the kneecap fracture is "separate from prior injuries," an orthopedist interviewed said the area is all connected and a prior patella tendon tear can weaken other areas in the kneecap. McDyess also missed the last 11 games of the 2000-2001 season with a dislocated kneecap. "

http://www.nypost.com/sports/knicks/49314.htm

DefAndReb
Member: #336
10/14/2002  11:37 AM
Briggs, give it up. You're missing my point badly.

Young guys make highlight reels, not championships or playoff runs, dig?

Did the Grizz get into the playoffs with Gasol? No. End of story. Will they make it this year? It could happen, but odds are it won't. That's just not acceptable in NY.

Summer league? Dunking over Mutumbo in preseason? Irrelevant. These young guys have talent, but vey few of them have basketball knowledge, and they won't for two or three seasons. It will show during the season, too. They'll have a nice play here and there, but for the most part veteran players will take them to school repeatedly. That's fine if you're the Warriors or the Grizz, who are perpetually rebuilding, but not the Knicks.

Yes, once in a long while a guy like Pierce falls to 10, somebody takes a risk, and it pans out (though only after a few rough seasons).

The goal of the NY Knicks is to get to the playoffs, even as an 8th seed, and do it NOW. It is NOT to become a farm club for young talent or get in a position that may or may not pan out in three or four years. It's about betting the odds, and the odds were better on the McDyess deal than on drafting Butler or Wilcox. It was just bad luck McD got hurt.

Layden is not an effective GM, but ANY GM THAT WORKS FOR THE KNICKS WILL HAVE TO KEEP THE TEAM IN THE PLAYOFFS TO KEEP HIS JOB. THAT MEANS A MEDIOCRE TEAM THAT MAKES THE PLAYOFFS CONSISTENTLY _OVER_ A YOUNG EXCITING TEAM THAT MAY BE GREAT IN THREE YEARS BUT WON'T MAKE THE PLAYOFFS THIS OR NEXT YEAR.
Posted by BRIGGS:

Another post with absolutely no reason or fact behind it. You know who has been the best player in the NBA in the pre-season so far Dwight Gooden--the 4th pick in the draft yep this isnt summer league. How good was the 4th player in the draft last year? Pau gasol umm I would say having a 20 year old who averaged 20-10 is pretty uremarkable. Who is the Heat Leading scorer this summer Caron Butler pick-10 who dunked the ball over ditkemebe mutumbo twice the other night and had 15 pts 5 rbds abnd a block in 25 mts? that would be pick 9 the 19 year old amere stoudemire the same kid who destroyed kwame brown eddie curry and tyson chandler when he was 17. who is the nuggets high scorer this year nene hilario pick 7 these guys have all been impact players at 19-20 21 years old. And they will only get better.

Players picked from 5-7 from 1995 forget picks 1-4
1995-Kevin Garnett
1996 Ray allen Antoine Walker oh yes pick 13 was Kobe
1997 ron mercer tim thomas 9th pick tracy mcgrady
1998 vince carter jason williams 9th pick dirk nowitski 10 th pick paul pierce
1999 sczerbiak andre miller rip hamilton
2000 mike miller
2001 jason richardson eddie griffin shane battier

The bottom line --the BOTTOM line is Antonio Mcdyess WILL NOT play for the NY Knicks and THEIR VETERANS and all stars that cost 80+MM-dice will win 20+ games this year. the Knicks will miss the playoffs miserably and attendance will be shockingly low and they will have MASSIVE operational losses--business model =BROKEN.

If you follow the Idianan Pacers who had the same amount of success as the Knicks during the 90s they knew when to retool the team completely WITHOUT missing the playoffs. Now they have the most talent in the east-----obviously they have higher intelligent level in the front office /ownership group.Look how Dolan has run CVC into the ground. Little fairies are not dancing at MSG and this is a MASSIVe rebuilding job. Dont count on AM cdyess anymore IF he comes back count him as a guy who will never be considered physically stable again.
WOODMANnYk
USA
10/14/2002  11:43 AM
Posted by DefAndReb:

years. It's about betting the odds, and the odds were better on the McDyess deal than on drafting Butler or Wilcox. It was just bad luck McD got hurt.

It wasn't bad luck! He just have a bum knee which is at risk to get reinjured.. BAd move on LAYDUM's part. if he had chosen butler or Wilcox, at least he would've had some young fresh strong knees..
The Future. GO KNICKS!
BigSm00th
Member: #178
USA
10/14/2002  11:43 AM
After this incident though, and probably a 20 win season, I think management will be overhauled, (hopefully the Dolan's sell the team too,) and rebuilding will start. There is NO way around it now. Absolutely none. They have nothing to work with, and the only direction this team can go is down.
#Knickstaps
BRIGGS
10/14/2002  12:15 PM
You make NO sense---I outlined to you picks 5-7 from 1995 on that list arguably are 5 - of the games top 7 players. Your arguement was that you cant get a good pick[a pick that changes the landscape od the team for 10 years] if you dont have 1-3 and that is false. you are making a claim that the Knicks HAVe to make the playoffs--well let this go through your head if you cant grasp the point--the TALENT level is well below the standard to make the playoffs. Antonio Mcdyess has now hurt the same kneee three times in 18 months--you can classify him as done and if he comes back and stays healthy it will be a +. The Knicks will miss the playoffs for 2 straight years and are only getting worse and older. Your proclomation that the Knicks need to make the playoffs is irrelevant because they ARENOT! There is no magic 8 ball here--the Knicks GAMBLED and lost BIG TIME. there is NO bad luck--there is high risk--they risked that a player who hurt the same kneee cap 2 years in a row--wouldnt do it again. You know what it wasnt even close. The ONLy way the Knicks make the playoffs now is picking up 2-3 high caliber young basketball players and build a new core. the team as we know it is shot. No one on this team may even play for the Knicks in the playoffs again--thats how serious this situation is. The year to make the playoffs was this year. With many unstable teams --even though the knicks were small they had a legit shot at a 6-8 seed. Now they are the WORST team in the league . levland is better Miami is better and those teams will only improve. There is no playoffs for the Knicks for quite awhile--that is the truth--the bottom line. The Knicks need to change philosophy or they will continue to miss the playoffs for YEARS upon years.
RIP Crushalot😞
McDyess IS out for the season, what now

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy