[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Layden Smokescreen?
Author Thread
BigSm00th
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #178
USA
7/23/2002  6:42 PM
Remember back during the draft when all we heard about was how the Knicks were enamored with Chris Wilcox, and how he was a sure thing if he fell to 7? Well, lo-and-behold, he fell to 7 and the Knicks didn't pick him. Layden set up the perfect smoke screen in the papers to make people think they were going to draft him, then they didn't. Could Layden be doing this again with Keon Clark? All we hear is how he has no interest or talks haven't had any progress, he's shown that he's good at manipulating the press. Just a thought.
#Knickstaps
AUTOADVERT
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
7/23/2002  7:39 PM
I actually wrote an article on this, and if the editor approves you can read at hoopsworld.com sometime soon. Keon would be a good addition but I am hoping for a real suprise. Ben Wallace, Elton Brand or Danny Fortson to name a few...I honestly believe Layden has something up his sleeve...but only time will tell.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
Knick2001
Member: #83
7/23/2002  7:39 PM
I wish I could believe layden is that smart, but I have my doubts.
falcindor
Member: #42
USA
7/23/2002  7:42 PM
I think Layden may pull Olowakandi out hit hat. He hasnt commented on him at all. Layden tries to avoid talking about players hes persuing.
Fritz Alcindor Jr. *FUTURE KNICK GM* falcindor@hotmail.com
BigSm00th
USA
7/23/2002  7:54 PM
"Ben Wallace"-Joe Dumars has said that the team will stay the same and why would the Knicks want another PF? Either way, it's all good.
#Knickstaps
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
7/23/2002  8:41 PM
I'm hoping the Knicks can get both Keon Clark and Michael Doleac. They can get one of them cheap through sign-and-trade for Harrington or someone else and get the other for part or all of the exception, depending on which one it is. Turning a centerless team into a team with one good pf/c and one decent center is definitely an improvement.
C Keon or KT/Doleac/Knight
PF Dyess/KT/Spoon
SF Spree/Anderson/Postell
SG Houston/Postell
PG Williams/Ward/Eisley
falcindor
Member: #42
USA
7/23/2002  9:14 PM
Doleac is good as ours. I think if the Knicks offer him a staring job he will take the 1.4mil slot and hope we can sign Rashard for 2 years with only 4.5mil.
Fritz Alcindor Jr. *FUTURE KNICK GM* falcindor@hotmail.com
nyballer
Member: #108
USA
7/23/2002  9:19 PM
Posted by BigSm00th:

"Ben Wallace"-Joe Dumars has said that the team will stay the same and why would the Knicks want another PF? Either way, it's all good.
Ben Wallace can play the center. if layden got him, he would become GM of the year. he is exactly what we need, even if hes 6-9..he dominated down low, in the east hes a force.

I still think our #1 priority should be getting rashard lewis with the midlevel, unlikely as it may be. then trading sprewell wont be a problem at all...imagine

C: wallace
PF: dice
SF: lewis
SG: Houston
PG: Williams/ward

Knicks would be in the finals no doubt in my mind
"easy like sunday morning..." - walt clyde
BigSm00th
USA
7/23/2002  9:34 PM
Where has this come from? Ben Wallace isn't even a possibility. Knicks could offer McDyess and the Pistons would turn that down. This is absurd, Wallace is a Piston and will be one next year.
#Knickstaps
nykinoz
Member: #205
Australia
7/23/2002  9:37 PM
Posted by fishmike:

I actually wrote an article on this, and if the editor approves you can read at hoopsworld.com sometime soon. Keon would be a good addition but I am hoping for a real suprise. Ben Wallace, Elton Brand or Danny Fortson to name a few...I honestly believe Layden has something up his sleeve...but only time will tell.

Elton Brand??? Our best player plays the same position. I honestly believe that Layden is trying to upgrade the Point Guard position and will sign a cheap FA C (Doleac, Blount etc). I think Thomas will be our starting C with Doleac backing him up.
Knixkik
USA
7/23/2002  9:44 PM
If we sign Keon he has a chance of starting with KT being our 6th man. Hopefully we can get Doleac too because he's one of the few decent prototype centers remaining.
WOODMANnYk
Member: #529
USA
7/23/2002  11:29 PM
Posted by nykinoz:
Posted by fishmike:

Elton Brand??? Our best player plays the same position. I honestly believe that Layden is trying to upgrade the Point Guard position and will sign a cheap FA C (Doleac, Blount etc). I think Thomas will be our starting C with Doleac backing him up.

Why would you guys even mentioned Elton Brand or Ben wallace??? There's not one player on the knicks squad thats worth Elton brand.. Wallace is a piston for life. I can't possibly see Detroit trading him. C'mon folks, be real!!
The Future. GO KNICKS!
ClydeDaGlide
Member: #275
USA
7/24/2002  8:51 AM
Since everyone is throwing their acquisition ideas out there, I’ll toss my thoughts in the fray…I don’t believe Layden can pull off a trade for another big time forward/center, just because we don’t have the ammo to. I think our front court will be fine though, maybe sign collins/doleac, then we have Dice and Spree. Not worried about that…I think Layden may be talking trades for big men just to throw the media of the Baron Davis track. The Hornets would be nuts not to pull off a deal for Baron, he will definitely leave them next year anyway, thy should be smart and accept that. If they trade him at least they’ll get something in return for having drafted him. I think the Hornets are a smart organization, and I think they will realize they need to move Baron sooner or later. Layden could offer them maybe Ward/KT + a future first round pick in a sign and trade? I know that’s well below market value for Davis, but they do need to move him. L.A. doesn’t seem like they would put up much of a fight to get BD themselves, as they don’t want to pay anyone the max, and Baron will most certainly be looking for it. Anyway, my hope is to see BD in orange and blue come winter…it could happen…
I came here to drink beer and kick some ass, and we're almost out of beer...
Caseloads
Member: #41
7/24/2002  8:54 AM
Posted by ClydeDaGlide:

Since everyone is throwing their acquisition ideas out there, I’ll toss my thoughts in the fray…I don’t believe Layden can pull off a trade for another big time forward/center, just because we don’t have the ammo to. I think our front court will be fine though, maybe sign collins/doleac, then we have Dice and Spree. Not worried about that…I think Layden may be talking trades for big men just to throw the media of the Baron Davis track. The Hornets would be nuts not to pull off a deal for Baron, he will definitely leave them next year anyway, thy should be smart and accept that. If they trade him at least they’ll get something in return for having drafted him. I think the Hornets are a smart organization, and I think they will realize they need to move Baron sooner or later. Layden could offer them maybe Ward/KT + a future first round pick in a sign and trade? I know that’s well below market value for Davis, but they do need to move him. L.A. doesn’t seem like they would put up much of a fight to get BD themselves, as they don’t want to pay anyone the max, and Baron will most certainly be looking for it. Anyway, my hope is to see BD in orange and blue come winter…it could happen…
baron davis is amazing. he'd be our best player, no contest. this guy is simply amazing.
Knixkik
USA
7/24/2002  9:37 AM
Right now it just seems like Layden has little interest in Clark and is likely going to go all out for Doleac. I guess we can't be too disappointed, but i still wish we could get Keon.
ClydeDaGlide
USA
7/24/2002  9:40 AM
Posted by Caseloads:
Posted by ClydeDaGlide:

baron davis is amazing. he'd be our best player, no contest. this guy is simply amazing.

I just wonder what our chances are of actually getting him. The Hornets don't have a lot of options considering the situation their in. The Clippers and us are the only two suitors for BD...The Clippers need a point guard, but are they willing to pay the price BD would request? I think it's unlikely that they would...So what else is there? They could do the stupid thing and allow BD to play for them, knowing he is unhappy, and risk allowing his play to suffer because of it, then watch him leave in the off-season...or they could trade him to...the KNICKS! The way I see it, these are their only two options. What could be holding up this deal?
knicksbabyyeah
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #100
Netherlands
7/24/2002  10:04 AM
Well BDiddy is in the last year of his current rookie contract and he didn't sign an extension. Next year the Hornets can apply pressure again by offering him the qualifying offer making him a restricted FA.

So in order for Bdiddy to walk and leave the Hornets without anything in return he'll have to play two season in NO, this year, last year of the rookie contract, and next year for the qualifying offer.

Shinn and Woolridge have him by the cojones and aren't letting him go.
ClydeDaGlide
USA
7/24/2002  2:11 PM
Posted by knicksbabyyeah:

Well BDiddy is in the last year of his current rookie contract and he didn't sign an extension. Next year the Hornets can apply pressure again by offering him the qualifying offer making him a restricted FA.

So in order for Bdiddy to walk and leave the Hornets without anything in return he'll have to play two season in NO, this year, last year of the rookie contract, and next year for the qualifying offer.

Shinn and Woolridge have him by the cojones and aren't letting him go.

either way the Hornets are losing their PG...serves them right for the way they treated him...
nyballer
Member: #108
USA
7/24/2002  6:25 PM
kt/ward and a pick for davis? thats ridiculous...if layden pulled that out he would be a god in my opinion..but he wont because charlotte would NEVER do that. the clips would give charlotte wilcox and dooling - doolings better than ward and wilcox will be better than thomas, and they are both younger and cheaper. LA can let him walk if they want, or they can pay him, for that cheap it doesnt matter if he walks its still na amazing deal considering wilcox and dooling wont play anyawy. if the knicks want davis they give up sprewell, no question about it. if layden manages to get davis without spree or houston or dice then id say hes the exec of the year, hands down.
"easy like sunday morning..." - walt clyde
ClydeDaGlide
USA
7/24/2002  7:35 PM
Posted by nyballer:

kt/ward and a pick for davis? thats ridiculous...if layden pulled that out he would be a god in my opinion..but he wont because charlotte would NEVER do that. the clips would give charlotte wilcox and dooling - doolings better than ward and wilcox will be better than thomas, and they are both younger and cheaper. LA can let him walk if they want, or they can pay him, for that cheap it doesnt matter if he walks its still na amazing deal considering wilcox and dooling wont play anyawy. if the knicks want davis they give up sprewell, no question about it. if layden manages to get davis without spree or houston or dice then id say hes the exec of the year, hands down.

OK, first of all, you haven't even seen wilcox go up against NBA talent, how do you know he is better than Kurt?! Secondly "LA" can't let him walk, New Orleans can. Thirdly, fine, give them sprewell, he's playing out of position here anyway, Davis is much better for this team. Fourthly, LA wont trade for BD unless their owner changes his mind about paying a max contract, no one else has had success opening his wallet, what makes you think BD will? Fifth, and fianally, of course this trade is unbalanced, but NY might be able to get away with it because NO has no other suitor for Davis, and I'm sure they will trade him eventually...Anything else I can clear up for you my friend?

[Edited by - ClydeDaGlide on 07/24/2002 19:37:10]
Layden Smokescreen?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy