[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Knicks to Split the $4.7M Exception on big men!
Author Thread
BigSm00th
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #178
USA
7/20/2002  8:12 PM
Thanks for the 'welcome back.' I'd love for that to happen, regarding the split of the exception.
#Knickstaps
AUTOADVERT
WOODMANnYk
Member: #529
USA
7/20/2002  10:15 PM
Posted by BigSm00th:

How would the Knicks acquire Collins with the $1.4 veteran's exception. Collins just came out of his rookie season, that qualifies him as a veteran? If they can do that, great, but I believe the veteran's exception of $1.4 million is reserved for veterans, not 2nd year players.
So then why didn't the knicks give postell part of the exception last yr during his 2nd yr in the league. Instead they gave the whole thing to Clarence W. If you read my previous comments, my point was to give him the 1.4m exception so they could afford and give the 4.7m to Keon Clark who i think is the best free agent out there for that price. You and i know KEon will not take a part of the 4.7m. So if you think Collins should take part of the 4.7m then no Keon CLark for the knicks. It will be more Mike Doleac. My point was to strengthen th bench with Keon and Collins if they decide to lose Kurt T. to dallas.
The Future. GO KNICKS!
BigSm00th
USA
7/20/2002  10:59 PM
"So then why didn't the knicks give postell part of the exception last yr during his 2nd yr in the league. Instead they gave the whole thing to Clarence W. If you read my previous comments..." You're missing my point. I don't think the Knicks can give a veterans exception to a player who isn't a veteran. I think there are different qualifications for the vet exception, or else they would jus combine the two if there was no difference. I doubt Keon signs anyway, he wants to play in a warm weather climate like Orlando or San Antonio, that's at least what I've read. I hope they split the $4.7 on two centers, maybe Collins and Doleac.
#Knickstaps
HARDCOREKNICKSFAN
Alba Posts: 28
Member: #263
USA
7/20/2002  11:41 PM
OK, OK.... Let's clear this Veteran's exception fiasco "by the Book"...http://www.nbpa.com/cba/index.html
Collective Barganing Agreement Section 6, Part (b) Veteran Free Agent Exception (Page 100):

"Beginning on the August 1 following the last Season covered by a Veteran Free Agent’s Player Contract,
such player may enter into a new Player Contract with his Prior Team (or, in the case of a player selected in an
Expansion Draft that year, with the Team that selected such player in an Expansion Draft) as follows:
(1) If the player is a Qualifying Veteran Free Agent, the new Player Contract may provide for Salary and
Unlikely Bonuses in the first Season totaling up to the maximum amount provided for in Article II, Section 7.
Notwithstanding the preceding sentence, if the player is a Qualifying Veteran Free Agent whose last Contract
was his Rookie Scale Contract and whose Prior Team did not exercise the Fourth Year Option to extend such
Contract for a fourth Season, the new Player Contract may provide for Regular Salary, Likely Bonuses and
Unlikely Bonuses in the first Season of up to the Regular Salary, Likely Bonuses and Unlikely Bonuses,
respectively, that the player would have received for such Season had his Prior Team exercised its Fourth Year
Option. Annual increases and decreases in Salary and Unlikely Bonuses shall be governed by Section 5(c)(2)
above.
(2) If the player is a Non-Qualifying Veteran Free Agent, then, subject to Article II, Section 7, the new
Player Contract may provide in the first Season up to the greater of: (i) 120% of the Regular Salary for the final
Season of the player’s prior Contract, plus 120% of any Likely Bonuses and Unlikely Bonuses, respectively,
called for in the final Season covered by the player’s prior Contract; (ii) 120% of the then-current Minimum
Annual Salary applicable to the player; or (iii) in the case of a Contract between a Team and its Restricted Free
Agent, the amount required to be provided in a Qualifying Offer. Annual increases and decreases in Salary and
Unlikely Bonuses shall be governed by Section 5(c)(1) above.
(3) If the player is an Early Qualifying Veteran Free Agent, the new Player Contract must cover at least two
Seasons (not including a Season covered by an Option Year) and, subject to Article II, Section 7, may provide in
the first Season up to the greater of: (i) 175% of the Regular Salary for the final Season covered by his prior
Contract, plus 175% of any Likely Bonuses and Unlikely Bonuses, respectively, called for in the final Season
covered by the player’s prior Contract, or (ii) 108% of the Average Player Salary for the prior Season (or if the
prior Season’s Average Player Salary has not been determined, 108% of the Estimated Average Player Salary for
the prior Season). Annual increases and decreases in Salary and Unlikely Bonuses shall be governed by Section
5(c)(2) above."

Facts bring order to the chaos...

Another season, and more adversity to persevere through. We will get the job done, even BETTER than last year. GO KNICKS!
BigSm00th
USA
7/21/2002  12:02 AM
Thanks for clearing that up. I think they can sign him, that was pretty tough to understand.
#Knickstaps
WOODMANnYk
USA
7/21/2002  12:27 AM
Posted by BigSm00th:

I agree, splitting the exception on two mediocre centers is a better move and a smarter move for the Knicks (as opposed to signing Jerome James, who was an unknown.) So I think James going back to Seattle will work out better for the Knicks.

I've been away for a while, could someone update me on this Spree to Atlanta, Terry to Cleveland, Miller to NY deal? Is there any chance of this happening, I know I didn't write the whole deal, just the main parts, but if the Knicks could land Miller to play point and feed Houston and McDyess, I think that'd be great. But at the same time, why would the Knicks need Frank Williams since Miller would be signed long term.

And if Boston trades Kenny Anderson and gets Vin Baker I think they'd be the front runners to win the East. With Delk and Cook splitting point guard, they'll make up for Anderson's production, Walker can bomb threes all day with Baker down low, and Pierce can cause his usual damage. That'd be a dangerous team.

Honestly, Vin BAker is finished!!! First of all, he got no heart and his best days are over so i don't know why boston would let Anderson,a defensive veteran pg go. WHy would seattle take anderson when they got GP playing the 1. tony delk is really an off guard and cook hasn't really proven himself. Personally by leaving school early , cook won't ever be a bonifide PG. Not even a decent pg. Shammond williams is also in the trade.
The Future. GO KNICKS!
nwny
Member: #284
7/21/2002  2:44 AM
"So then why didn't the knicks give postell part of the exception last yr during his 2nd yr in the league. Instead they gave the whole thing to Clarence W."

Why the Knicks gave Spoon that much money is beyond me. But to answer your question about why didn't they give part of their excpetion to Postell is becuase they don't have to. He's their player so they are never in danger of losing him (if it's about money). You can offer your own player (even if he's unrestricted) as much money as you want, even if you are over the cap, and it won't count agianst your mid-level, or veteerans exception. Caps, and exceptions only come in to play when you're trying to obtain another teams player.
HARDCOREKNICKSFAN
USA
7/21/2002  6:16 AM
Posted by nwny:

He's their player so they are never in danger of losing him (if it's about money). You can offer your own player (even if he's unrestricted) as much money as you want, even if you are over the cap, and it won't count agianst your mid-level, or veterans exception. Caps, and exceptions only come in to play when you're trying to obtain another teams player.
All true as per the Collective Barganing Agreement...
There is a team option in Postell's contract that can be used this offseason.

I see your copy of the CBA gets reviewed alot, too.
Another season, and more adversity to persevere through. We will get the job done, even BETTER than last year. GO KNICKS!
WOODMANnYk
USA
7/21/2002  9:34 AM
Posted by nwny:

"So then why didn't the knicks give postell part of the exception last yr during his 2nd yr in the league. Instead they gave the whole thing to Clarence W."

Why the Knicks gave Spoon that much money is beyond me. But to answer your question about why didn't they give part of their excpetion to Postell is becuase they don't have to. He's their player so they are never in danger of losing him (if it's about money). You can offer your own player (even if he's unrestricted) as much money as you want, even if you are over the cap, and it won't count agianst your mid-level, or veteerans exception. Caps, and exceptions only come in to play when you're trying to obtain another teams player.

So basically knicks were competing against themselves for Postell cause no other teams provided him with a contract proposal.
The Future. GO KNICKS!
HARDCOREKNICKSFAN
USA
7/21/2002  4:52 PM
If we had to pick a combo to split the $4.7M mid-level for, who'd it be (at this point, with some candidates off the market)?

I'd try for Collins and Doleac, and at the same time try to reserve enough of it to sign Trybanski or Closs to the minimum. Of course this is if we don't trade for big men at all.

Thoughts?
knicksbabyyeah
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #100
Netherlands
7/21/2002  5:30 PM
Yeah it's tough that Olumide Oyediji is off the market. I'm positie he'll have a good showing with Orlando upcoming season and he's only 21.(or did you mean Seattle keeping Jerome James?)

But getting back to the question, NYK should pursue Jarron Collins. They can sign him with the 1.4 right (aka the million dollar exception which is kind funny since it has grown to 1.4 mil).

This would stil leave the entire midlevel, which could be spend on Keon or Rodney Rogers or even a 1 year contract for Rashard Lewis (in case he wants out and try his luck next season. Lots of teams have cap room next season).

Get on big man, preferably Jarron, cheap and wait it out since the league is going el cheapo on the free agents the NYK could scoop up someone unexpected.
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
7/21/2002  5:33 PM
Posted by HARDCOREKNICKSFAN:

If we had to pick a combo to split the $4.7M mid-level for, who'd it be (at this point, with some candidates off the market)?

I'd try for Collins and Doleac, and at the same time try to reserve enough of it to sign Trybanski or Closs to the minimum. Of course this is if we don't trade for big men at all.

Thoughts?
Collins and Doleac would be a nice combo. Problem is, neither is big in shot-blocking. I think we should offer the complete exception to Keon Clark, but it doesn't look like Layden is going to do that. I think we should sign the 7-3 Trybanski and if we can't get him, we should sign Mate Skelin of our summer league team. He's 7-0, 255lbs and has put up decent numbers. He can rebound and block shots and thats what we need. Hopefully we can at least get either Collins or Doleac or someone of that caliber through trade to back-up KT and give New York a legit center. Cato, Foyle, Mohammed, and Marc Jackson are a few names i have in mind.
BigSm00th
USA
7/21/2002  5:42 PM
I think Doleac can definitely be had for part of it. I'm not sure if Collins would leave Utah, hopefully he would. Other free agent centers are Ike Austin, Olden Polynice, Jelani McCoy, and Popeye Jones. Not exactly top of the line.

Looking at the talent now, I doubt the Knicks would package Thomas in a trade for VE or anyone else, because he'll probably split time with the signed center.
#Knickstaps
HARDCOREKNICKSFAN
USA
7/21/2002  6:10 PM
Posted by BigSm00th:

I think Doleac can definitely be had for part of it. I'm not sure if Collins would leave Utah, hopefully he would. Other free agent centers are Ike Austin, Olden Polynice, Jelani McCoy, and Popeye Jones. Not exactly top of the line.

Looking at the talent now, I doubt the Knicks would package Thomas in a trade for VE or anyone else, because he'll probably split time with the signed center.

I am still waiting for some word that NYK is talking to Jarron, but I hope something turns up soon...

Olden Polynice.... I think NYK shoulda got him after he left the Sonics...but now? He qualifies for the 1.4 Vets Exception...

I'd like KT to stay, and we have enough spare parts on our bench to trade for better fitting roleplayers...

HARDCOREKNICKSFAN
USA
7/21/2002  6:26 PM
Posted by Knixkik:

Collins and Doleac would be a nice combo. Problem is, neither is big in shot-blocking. I think we should offer the complete exception to Keon Clark, but it doesn't look like Layden is going to do that. I think we should sign the 7-3 Trybanski and if we can't get him, we should sign Mate Skelin of our summer league team. He's 7-0, 255lbs and has put up decent numbers. He can rebound and block shots and thats what we need. Hopefully we can at least get either Collins or Doleac or someone of that caliber through trade to back-up KT and give New York a legit center. Cato, Foyle, Mohammed, and Marc Jackson are a few names i have in mind.

Have you heard any news regarding Keon? I haven't heard about him really at all lately. But I wouldn't be suprised if Keon already made a deal with a team (maybe even NYK)by now, and it's being kept quiet. Why else would he just drop out of sight? That's just how these scenarios go down- While everyone is looking to the right, the trade is waaaaay over in left field somewhere, where no one bothered to look (IMO).

As for Skelin, I'd only save him as a last-ditch, absolute-worse-case-scenario, no-better-players-left-at-all type of option. But still an option....

knicksbabyyeah
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #100
Netherlands
7/21/2002  6:45 PM
Well Mate Skelin was a runner-up for MVP in the euroluague, so he isnt a bum or anything. Plus he said he hadn't played for three months when he got invited to the NYK summercamp. If he'll sign cheap, big if since he can get millions in europe, NYK should sign him. He can't be any worse then Felton "5 fouls, 1 rebound in six minutes" Spencer.

Apparently the short article about Jarron in the post was all about he'd like to play here. Who knows if the NYK have actually talked to his agent.

Better news though is that Rodney Rogers has only been offered half the midlevel exception, who knows if the NYK wait they could get him for 3+ mil??
Knixkik
USA
7/21/2002  10:14 PM
The availability of Collins depends on the injury status of Borchardt. If he recovers fast, Utah is unlikely to match a serious offer for Collins. Doleac is a nice back-up plan and Cleveland has no interest in matching an offer for him, nor does he have a lot of interest from teams throughout the league. He seems like the most atainable player, but i'm sure Collins could be had for the right price as well.
WOODMANnYk
USA
7/21/2002  11:35 PM
Utah Jazz Roster
William Avery, Charlie Bell, Marcus Brown, Curtis Borchardt, Gyasi Cline-Heard, Jarron Collins, Vasco Evtimov, Ruben Garces, Nate Green, Derek Hood, Andrei Kirilenko, John Linehan, LaRon Profit, DeShawn Stevenson. As you know, Collins is on the Utah roster and is said to be returning to the jazz especially since rookie C. Borchardt broke his foot again. It looks like the knicks will be lucked out in the Collins sweepstakes.

The Future. GO KNICKS!
Knixkik
USA
7/22/2002  8:16 AM
Posted by knicksbb10:

Utah Jazz Roster
William Avery, Charlie Bell, Marcus Brown, Curtis Borchardt, Gyasi Cline-Heard, Jarron Collins, Vasco Evtimov, Ruben Garces, Nate Green, Derek Hood, Andrei Kirilenko, John Linehan, LaRon Profit, DeShawn Stevenson. As you know, Collins is on the Utah roster and is said to be returning to the jazz especially since rookie C. Borchardt broke his foot again. It looks like the knicks will be lucked out in the Collins sweepstakes.
Borchardt will be out 4 to 6 weeks and the Knicks could probably make a run for Coliins if they made a big offer, but that seems unlikely. I think New York will end up signing Michael Doleac for part of the exception which isn't a bad thing because he is a decent back-up center with good size.
HARDCOREKNICKSFAN
USA
7/22/2002  10:21 AM
Posted by Knixkik:
Posted by knicksbb10:

Utah Jazz Roster
Borchardt will be out 4 to 6 weeks and the Knicks could probably make a run for Coliins if they made a big offer, but that seems unlikely. I think New York will end up signing Michael Doleac for part of the exception which isn't a bad thing because he is a decent back-up center with good size.

Hopefully more news will come out this week regarding Collins. If anybody finds some, post it here so we can review it...
Knicks to Split the $4.7M Exception on big men!

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy