[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Knicks to Split the $4.7M Exception on big men!
Author Thread
HARDCOREKNICKSFAN
Alba Posts: 28
Member: #263
USA
7/16/2002  6:08 AM
Although the source is somewhat shaky, I liked what I heard...

Here's the attention-grabber:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"...if a maximum $35 million, mid-level exception contract is offered to James, it won't be from the Knicks, who aren't prepared to shock James like they did Clarence Weatherspoon last summer.

According to a league source, the Knicks have decided they will use only a portion of their $4.7 million exception on the free-agent centers they are considering, including James. If the Knicks do make James an offer, it will be for less than six years - probably four - which doesn't make them the favorite. However, many teams are thinking like the Knicks, which means this could drag on. Tomorrow, offer sheets can be signed. "
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's the link: http://www.nypost.com/sports/knicks/19108.htm

Question is, what combo would be best for the Knicks, realistically?

The tone of the article led me to think that Doleac might still be in the mix too. But could Scott LayDown stand up enough to make a James/Doleac (or other decent combos) happen?

Another season, and more adversity to persevere through. We will get the job done, even BETTER than last year. GO KNICKS!
AUTOADVERT
HARDCOREKNICKSFAN
USA
7/16/2002  6:23 AM
The NY Daily News reiterates the report:
Big Decision: The Knicks will decide today whether to offer a contract to free agent Jerome James.

It is believed that if the Knicks do make an offer to the Seattle center it will be for roughly half of their $4.7 million mid-level salary cap exception, opening the possibility for Scott Layden to offer the remaining money to Michael Doleac, another free agent center.

The Knicks are also interested in Minnesota's Rasho Nesterovic and may attempt to acquire him in a sign-and-trade.

James' agent, Marc Fleisher, said yesterday that two teams have already offered his client the mid-level exception, but he would not names those teams. Both Memphis and Sacramento are interested in James.

The Knicks, however, are concerned about making a major investment in a 27-year-old, 7-1 center who has averaged 4.5 points and 3.5 rebounds for his career and has a history of weight problems. Their offer could be for three years at approximately $10 million. Teams can begin signing free agents tomorrow.

Also, Seattle coach Nate McMillan indicated yesterday that the Sonics, who have 14 days to match any offer for James, are prepared to do just that.

"We like Jerome," McMillan said. "He fits into our plans."

The link: http://www.nydailynews.com/2002-07-16/Metro_Sports/Basketball/a-157647.asp

[Edited by - HARDCOREKNICKSFAN on 07/16/2002 06:27:06]
Another season, and more adversity to persevere through. We will get the job done, even BETTER than last year. GO KNICKS!
knicksbabyyeah
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #100
Netherlands
7/16/2002  7:15 AM
What I would do with the exception if splitted? Well I've read that the midlevel will be between 4.7 and 4.9 million.

Jarron Collins (Utah, restricted FA) 1.7 million

+

Olumide Oyediji (Seattle, restricted FA) 1.3 million

leaving 1.7-1.9 million for a player that falls through the crack. That could be a player like Troy Hudson or Walter McCarty and if all else fails Doleac. It's indeed a smart move to not blow all the money away immediately to see who you can scoop up.

Jarron has been playing extremely well for Utah, but they are looking for ways to keep their cap down abit..

Olumide is an exciting FC, hasn't gotten much play with Phoenix or Seattle but that's going to change.
knicksbabyyeah
Netherlands
7/16/2002  7:23 AM
Jerome James

7 suitors for Jerome James, who?

NY, Memphis, Toronto, Portland, Seattle, ?, ?.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/basketball/78710_sonx16.shtml

Olumide Oyewhatadifficultname

edit: some info for you guys on Olumide as you'll probably be all over me for wanting him to be a Knick but after reading this I think he'll go alot higher then the 1.3mil I suggested for him.

He is btw not a restricted FA, I was wrong in assuming Seattle would make a qualifying offer to Olumide but they already regret not doing so.

I would love simply splitting the midlevel to Jarron and Olumide, both capable of in the future being the starting center and both are very young.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/basketball/magic/orl-sptmagic13a071302jul13.story?coll=orl-magic

[Edited by - knicksbabyyeah on 07/16/2002 08:01:54]
knicksbabyyeah
Netherlands
7/16/2002  8:56 AM
http://www.nytimes.com/2002/07/16/sports/basketball/16BOOK.html

Knicks Look for a Center

The Knicks are not likely to make any sudden moves when the free-agent signing period begins Wednesday.

Bill Duffy, the agent for Minnesota center Rasho Nesterovic, said today that he planned to speak to Knicks officials on Thursday when he comes to Boston for the summer league.

Duffy said last week that after he met with Minnesota General Manager Kevin McHale, it was clear that the Timberwolves were not inclined to trade Nesterovic but wanted to re-sign him. The Knicks are interested in a sign-and-trade deal because they could only pay the midlevel exception of $4.7 million.

Minnesota can match that and also pay a larger yearly salary increase.

"It's a win-win situation," Duffy said.

The Knicks are also interested in center Jerome James, a restricted free agent with Seattle. James had a productive half-day recruiting meeting with the Knicks on Saturday, his agent, Marc Fleisher, said. The Knicks have not contacted Fleisher since, but Fleisher said that two other teams had discussed salary specifics about James.

The 7-foot-1 James is hoping to receive a $4.7 million midlevel exception but is still negotiating on the length of the contract, from three to six years.

"It will come down to which place he'll have the most chance of winning and the most chance of playing maximum minutes where he can best develop," Fleisher said.

and
Knicks' No. 1 Pick Struggles

The Knicks' first-round pick, Frank Williams, struggled tonight in the opening game of the Shaw's Pro Summer League, a 77-57 victory against the Philadelphia 76ers.

Starting at point guard, Williams shot 1 for 6 and had 3 assists and 5 turnovers in 24 minutes. He was often outplayed by the backup point guard Billy Keys, who had 4 assists, a turnover and 6 points in 16 minutes.

But the star of the game for the Knicks was Jamel Thomas, a free-agent forward out of Providence and a cousin of Stephon Marbury. Thomas shot 5 for 5 from 3-point range and led all scorers with 27 points.

Knicks Coach Don Chaney was very impressed with Thomas, but more critical of Williams. "I want to see him make better decisions once he gets into the lane," Chaney said of Williams. "I thought he got into trouble tonight. He didn't read the defense very well. Hopefully he'll be able to understand when you drive the ball and you're known as a driver, you've got to be ready to make decisions."

Williams, the No. 25 pick over all out of Illinois, said: "I was a little sluggish. It took me a while to get comfortable out there. It was a lot harder than I thought it would be. Anytime you give away a possession, I take the blame for that. I think I have to improve on everything."

ClydeDaGlide
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #275
USA
7/16/2002  9:42 AM
See, this is a bad idea. The Knicks front office needs to score big this off-season, but I think they are afraid to take a chance on potential in the form of James because they know there’ll be hell to pay if they don’t hit a home run with their signings and trades. I wish they had the balls to offer whatever deal it takes to get James, just because I think he will develop over time, and may turn out to be a steal. But they don’t, so we may as well bid our farewells to James, ‘cause he ain’t coming to NY.
I came here to drink beer and kick some ass, and we're almost out of beer...
davpowerslave
Member: #281
7/16/2002  11:23 AM
Posted by ClydeDaGlide:

See, this is a bad idea. The Knicks front office needs to score big this off-season, but I think they are afraid to take a chance on potential in the form of James because they know there’ll be hell to pay if they don’t hit a home run with their signings and trades. I wish they had the balls to offer whatever deal it takes to get James, just because I think he will develop over time, and may turn out to be a steal. But they don’t, so we may as well bid our farewells to James, ‘cause he ain’t coming to NY.

They went out and spent indescriminantly and got killed for it, so you want them to continue? I think its smart not to offer this guy the full 6 yrs, he's got bad knees and a weight problem.
HARDCOREKNICKSFAN
USA
7/16/2002  3:52 PM
Posted by davpowerslave:
Posted by ClydeDaGlide:

They went out and spent indescriminantly and got killed for it, so you want them to continue? I think its smart not to offer this guy the full 6 yrs, he's got bad knees and a weight problem.

Ok, so who, in your opinion, do you envision the NYK getting for the split exception?
HARDCOREKNICKSFAN
USA
7/16/2002  3:56 PM
Posted by knicksbabyyeah:

What I would do with the exception if splitted? Well I've read that the midlevel will be between 4.7 and 4.9 million.

Jarron Collins (Utah, restricted FA) 1.7 million

+

Olumide Oyediji (Seattle, restricted FA) 1.3 million

leaving 1.7-1.9 million for a player that falls through the crack. That could be a player like Troy Hudson or Walter McCarty and if all else fails Doleac. It's indeed a smart move to not blow all the money away immediately to see who you can scoop up.

Jarron has been playing extremely well for Utah, but they are looking for ways to keep their cap down abit..

Olumide is an exciting FC, hasn't gotten much play with Phoenix or Seattle but that's going to change.

Interesting idea, possibly 3 players for the mid-level... I can see that happening IF we don't make any knee-jerk moves first. The timing would have to be right, too.

That would also save our 1.4M exception...
WOODMANnYk
Member: #529
USA
7/18/2002  7:57 PM
I had suggested this long before the free agency period began. Knicks finally coming to their senses regarding the team's spending....
The Future. GO KNICKS!
VG
Member: #68
Australia
7/18/2002  9:02 PM
I know Clark isn't a center but I think we should go after him. He's one of the better FAs out there, he's got loads of potential and is a very productive player. Toronto might not be able to keep him since the luxury tax treshold is going down so we should go after him IMO...
HARDCOREKNICKSFAN
USA
7/19/2002  2:54 PM
Posted by VG:

I know Clark isn't a center but I think we should go after him. He's one of the better FAs out there, he's got loads of potential and is a very productive player. Toronto might not be able to keep him since the luxury tax treshold is going down so we should go after him IMO...

OK, but what if we don't get Clark (he has yet to even visit). Who do you think we can get instead? I'm curious about what your Plan B is...
HARDCOREKNICKSFAN
USA
7/20/2002  2:08 PM
Rodney Rogers is another option we can explore. I read that the Knicks may still possibly use the exception on him. We'd still have the $1.4M exception to use, though.
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
7/20/2002  3:00 PM
New York could use the 1.4M exception on Jarron Collins. He might stay in Utah, but he also might want to come to New York because his girlfriend is beginning law school in manhattan. If we can't get him we should really try to sign the 7-3 Trybanski with the 1.4M exception. He's a project, but a big body who could be a good player someday. If worse comes to worse we might also want to sign Doleac with some or a majority of the mid-level exception. If we can complete the rumored deal with Atlanta that brings us Nazr Mohammed we only need to sign one center, but i think we should try to come into training camp with two new decent centers on the roster.
HARDCOREKNICKSFAN
USA
7/20/2002  4:46 PM
Posted by Knixkik:

New York could use the 1.4M exception on Jarron Collins. He might stay in Utah, but he also might want to come to New York because his girlfriend is beginning law school in manhattan. If we can't get him we should really try to sign the 7-3 Trybanski with the 1.4M exception. He's a project, but a big body who could be a good player someday. If worse comes to worse we might also want to sign Doleac with some or a majority of the mid-level exception.

Yup. I agree; I made a similar point on the FanHome Knicks board. Trybanski can be had for peanuts and be the lane-filling (amd maybe rebounding & shot-blocking) project that can grow with the team. Collins just may come here for the 1.4 or maybe 2M of our 4.7M mid-level (and the points you brought up from the NY Post article factors in on his decision to come here too). All this, and Doleac is still a possibility too.
BigSm00th
Member: #178
USA
7/20/2002  5:07 PM
I agree, splitting the exception on two mediocre centers is a better move and a smarter move for the Knicks (as opposed to signing Jerome James, who was an unknown.) So I think James going back to Seattle will work out better for the Knicks.

I've been away for a while, could someone update me on this Spree to Atlanta, Terry to Cleveland, Miller to NY deal? Is there any chance of this happening, I know I didn't write the whole deal, just the main parts, but if the Knicks could land Miller to play point and feed Houston and McDyess, I think that'd be great. But at the same time, why would the Knicks need Frank Williams since Miller would be signed long term.

And if Boston trades Kenny Anderson and gets Vin Baker I think they'd be the front runners to win the East. With Delk and Cook splitting point guard, they'll make up for Anderson's production, Walker can bomb threes all day with Baker down low, and Pierce can cause his usual damage. That'd be a dangerous team.
#Knickstaps
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
7/20/2002  5:30 PM
To update you on the trade rumors, it's been pretty quiet today and any deal involving New York, Atlanta, and Cleveland doesn't seem to be taken too seriously yet. I think atl and ny are discussing a deal, though it's been denied, and Spree and maybe Harrington could easily go to the Hawks for Terry, Mohammed, and Henderson. It makes sense because we solve a lot of problems with this deal. We could then trade KT for a legit starting SF, and maybe include Ward as well. We would be set then.
WOODMANnYk
Member: #529
USA
7/20/2002  6:28 PM
Posted by HARDCOREKNICKSFAN:
Posted by VG:

OK, but what if we don't get Clark (he has yet to even visit). Who do you think we can get instead? I'm curious about what your Plan B is...

If Layden really wants to compete strongly for a title, he has all the moves in front of him depending one thing. Toronto doesn't want to pay the luxury tax so if the knicks are going to spend the whole 4.7m on one player then it should be KEON CLArk. The knicks could get him but is he worth all 4.7m with 5yrs?? Toronto certainly won't match that offer cause they don't want to pay that infamous luxury tax. Now, if the knicks do get Clark then they could obtain Jarron Collins who i said long before the free agent period that the knicks should pursue. They could give him 1.4m for 2 to 3 yrs. From there, Obtaining Clark and Collins makes Kurt t. expendable so now he can finally go back home to Dallas where charlie ward would be included for Nick van exel. This trade is on the table waiting for the knicks but before making such move, Knicks should upgrade their big men first.

[Edited by - knicksbb10 on 07/20/2002 18:31:41]
The Future. GO KNICKS!
BigSm00th
Member: #178
USA
7/20/2002  6:58 PM
How would the Knicks acquire Collins with the $1.4 veteran's exception. Collins just came out of his rookie season, that qualifies him as a veteran? If they can do that, great, but I believe the veteran's exception of $1.4 million is reserved for veterans, not 2nd year players.
#Knickstaps
HARDCOREKNICKSFAN
USA
7/20/2002  7:15 PM
Posted by BigSm00th:

How would the Knicks acquire Collins with the $1.4 veteran's exception. Collins just came out of his rookie season, that qualifies him as a veteran? If they can do that, great, but I believe the veteran's exception of $1.4 million is reserved for veterans, not 2nd year players.

Welcome back, Bigsmooth!
I noted in another thread that Jarron can get about 2 Mil from our Mid-Level Exception, leaving almost 3 Mil for another player to be signed... I think he'd take that offer as a 2nd year player...
Knicks to Split the $4.7M Exception on big men!

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy