Author Thread
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
8/16/2001  12:59 PM
From the Insider:
Omar's goose may be Cooked by Nuggets

A new GM, new priorities and no guaranteed contract for second-round pick Omar Cook.

That's the message Cook's agent, Aaron Goodwin, got from new Nuggets GM Kiki Vandeweghe this week.

"We have a top-five point guard (Van Exel), and we just signed a backup point guard (Johnson) for a lot of money and years," Vandeweghe told the Denver Post. "There may be no place to play. You have to be realistic about the roster situation. It may not be good to sit and watch for a year."

If the Nuggets decide not to sign Cook to a guaranteed deal, he'll have few options. He could play in Europe or in the NBA's new NBDL, but neither option is very attractive.

Cook, who left St. John's after his freshman season, thought he would be a mid-first round pick at worst. A week before the draft he told Insider that several teams had told him he was the top point guard in the draft. However, on draft day, several point guards, including Raul Lopez, who isn't even eligible to play in the NBA for four more season, were drafted ahead of Cook.

Shocked by his slip, Cook received all the right assurances from the Nuggets, who actually had to trade for his draft rights. Things have changed.

Cook's agent is upset. "These are decisions," Goodwin said, "the Denver Nuggets should have made prior to drafting and trading a (conditional) first-round pick for Omar Cook."

Does this mean the Knicks could have a chance to sign this guy? If we could get rid of Ward Omar may be a good pickup. Thought?
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
AUTOADVERT
vysions
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #39
USA
8/16/2001  1:33 PM
Cook would definitely be an improvement over Ward. Youth. Possibility instead of a guard with no knees and a big mouth.
Andrew
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1
USA
8/16/2001  1:54 PM
Posted by vysions:

Cook would definitely be an improvement over Ward. Youth. Possibility instead of a guard with no knees and a big mouth.

I don't think that Cook is ready to play anything but garbage minutes in a NBA game. A good replacement for Brunson as a developing 3rd PG....yes.
PURE KNICKS LOVE
Caseloads
Member: #41
8/16/2001  3:49 PM
Posted by Andrew:
Posted by vysions:

I don't think that Cook is ready to play anything but garbage minutes in a NBA game. A good replacement for Brunson as a developing 3rd PG....yes.
Supposedly, the Knicks do NOT want Omar Cook, as we had the opportunity to trade for him on draft day and did not. Supposedly he has a bad attitude or something like that... hmm.
Andrew
USA
8/16/2001  3:53 PM
Supposedly, the Knicks do NOT want Omar Cook, as we had the opportunity to trade for him on draft day and did not. Supposedly he has a bad attitude or something like that... hmm.

That's exactly what I heard. Many GMs felt Omar had a bad attitude when they interviewed him at a pre-draft camp.
PURE KNICKS LOVE
Caseloads
8/16/2001  7:08 PM
Posted by Andrew:

That's exactly what I heard. Many GMs felt Omar had a bad attitude when they interviewed him at a pre-draft camp.
Funny that denver took his butt, since they already have a PG with attitude problems in Van XL. Omar's attitude must have been horrible, i mean, Van Gundy is supposed to be a tough disciplinarian (he fixed up Latrell - i know that's debatable, and Portland wanted him to take care of Rasheed, Pippen and Stoudy - oh my) and to think that we couldn't have used a talented young PG on our squad is out of this world.
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
8/16/2001  9:14 PM
Cook is very ****y and thats why he slipped in the draft, but he could still be a decent guy to grab if we can get him for nothing. Get rid of ward then keep cook as the third string point to let him develop. Then when Jax retires, cook can see minutes.
Knixkik
USA
8/16/2001  9:16 PM
Why is the word c.o.c.k.y edited? There's nothing wrong with that. Oh well.
Andrew
USA
8/16/2001  10:16 PM
Posted by Knixkik:

Why is the word c.o.c.k.y edited? There's nothing wrong with that. Oh well.

Hmmm, well the software isn't smart enough to make the difference between that and the word that was obviously edited. Sorry about that. We'll look into a better software censorer.
PURE KNICKS LOVE
Knixkik
USA
8/17/2001  11:12 AM
No prob, it doesn't really matter to me i just thought i would mention it.
XMAN007
Member: #60
8/17/2001  12:03 PM
Knicks rn't high on Cook. They could have moved up but didn't want to b/c they felt he's not a hard worker n needs time to develop.
Come strong or not at all!
Knixkik
USA
8/17/2001  12:13 PM
Knicks have never been the type of team to give a player time to develop.
Caseloads
8/17/2001  12:21 PM
Posted by Knixkik:

Unfortunately
tkf
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #87
8/17/2001  1:05 PM
Posted by Knixkik:

How true. they wait until he develops, passes his prime, then they sign and overpay them...typical knicks management....
Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
dadanyk
Member: #43
USA
8/17/2001  3:51 PM
yeah but denver wants
him to play for the
new development league
that should be a sign
that as of this moment
denver really has very
little interest in cook
to play for them this year.....
but he wants to play
in the nba level and
if we were to aquire
cook the pg position won't
be cluttered there
cause ward is being
shopped around so he should
be gone soon.....brunson is
a free agent he wouldn't be
resigned by the team.... so
at the point guard spot would
be jackson eisley and cook
which is the amount of point
guards jvg loves to have on
his roster for game nights..
cook definitely needs the
guidance of veteran point
guard though just like
jacque vaughn did over there
for three years in utah
with john stockton
to show him the ropes.....
cook should become a better
player than vaughn...
HIRE SPIKE LEE FOR GM JOB
kosmovitelli
Member: #99
8/18/2001  10:13 PM
Even if the Denver Nuggets don't plan to sign him this season, Omar Cook can't be signed by the Knicks or any team.
The Denver Nuggets have his NBA rights as they drafted him.
Unless Denver renounce its rights over Cook, he can't be signed by the Knicks or any other team.

So Omar Cook is not available.
Andrew
USA
8/19/2001  12:37 AM
Posted by kosmovitelli:

Even if the Denver Nuggets don't plan to sign him this season, Omar Cook can't be signed by the Knicks or any team.
The Denver Nuggets have his NBA rights as they drafted him.
Unless Denver renounce its rights over Cook, he can't be signed by the Knicks or any other team.

So Omar Cook is not available.

Also...if Cook was on the trading block, I would think Denver would want what they origionally gave up for him...a conditional first rounder. Seeing that the Knicks could have prabably moved up to draft him for less than that, I don't see them pursuing Cook.
PURE KNICKS LOVE
Andrew
USA
8/19/2001  12:44 AM
Maybe we shouldn't even be talking about Omar.

http://espn.go.com/magazine/20010816_latack.html
PURE KNICKS LOVE
VG
Member: #68
Australia
8/19/2001  5:15 AM
Troy Hudson didn't get signed to guaranteed contract by the Magic this week. If the Knicks end up trading Ward for a center we should perhaps sign Troy for our 1.3 mill exception. He's way better than Rick Brunson.
vysions
Member: #39
USA
8/19/2001  3:34 PM
Looks like Cook made a big mistake dropping out of college.
Maybe St. John's will take him back. Is there any chance we can get
the guy who outplayed him. Bring him in for rookie minimum.
Is Omar Cook available

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy