[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Why Van Exel?
Author Thread
Caseloads
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #41
7/1/2002  10:54 AM
Posted by MCfan23:

Who says Dallas is so willing to give up NVE? He played well for them coming off the bench and he fits well into their system, where anything that hits the rim is thought to be a good shot.

And who would we trade to them to get him anyway? The Mavs showed by trading Juwan Howard that they don't really want a low-post option, so I doubt they would think about taking Kurt Thomas. He doesn't shoot five 3's a game so they won't be interested. And he wouldn't be as effective out West anyway, having to go up against the likes of Duncan, Webber and Brand on a regular basis.

Who else do we have? Houston isn't going anywhere. Dice has already laid down the law about Sprewell. The Mavericks won't want Eisely back and although Cuban likes big contracts, not even he would be tempted by Charlie Ward, Tavis Knight or anyone else you care to mention. And the only thing that Shandon Anderson is good at is building houses...
i think we can get from cuban - a first rounder, NVE, buckner for KT,Ward,Anderson.
AUTOADVERT
BigSm00th
Member: #178
USA
7/1/2002  12:07 PM
All these point guard deals hinge on signing big men to make Kurt Thomas expendable. That'd be a phenomenal team with 'Too Easy' at the point (didn't BDiddy get that nickname a few weeks ago at Rucker?), Spree and Houston on the wings and Clark and McDyess downlow.
#Knickstaps
HARDCOREKNICKSFAN
Alba Posts: 28
Member: #263
USA
7/1/2002  2:17 PM
Posted by BigSm00th:

All these point guard deals hinge on signing big men to make Kurt Thomas expendable. That'd be a phenomenal team with 'Too Easy' at the point (didn't BDiddy get that nickname a few weeks ago at Rucker?), Spree and Houston on the wings and Clark and McDyess downlow.

Absolutely right, Bigsmooth!

I think that if we sign Keon, that'll be a start. Baron Davis is hardcore enough to hold his own @ the Rucker, so you KNOW what he will bring to the Garden! My main concern is that Scott LayDown will cut our throats (ie: Trade Spree) for a Davis deal. He already needed security just to exit the Garden on draft night... If he can make a move like that WITHOUT tampering with our core three, I would love to see it happen. If it means trading Kurt, so be it- we have both the $4.8M and the $1.4M exceptions at our disposal to sign big men.
Another season, and more adversity to persevere through. We will get the job done, even BETTER than last year. GO KNICKS!
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
7/1/2002  3:10 PM
Posted by HARDCOREKNICKSFAN:
Posted by BigSm00th:

I think that if we sign Keon, that'll be a start. Baron Davis is hardcore enough to hold his own @ the Rucker, so you KNOW what he will bring to the Garden! My main concern is that Scott LayDown will cut our throats (ie: Trade Spree) for a Davis deal. He already needed security just to exit the Garden on draft night... If he can make a move like that WITHOUT tampering with our core three, I would love to see it happen. If it means trading Kurt, so be it- we have both the $4.8M and the $1.4M exceptions at our disposal to sign big men.

Wait, are you saying you wouldn't do a Spree for Davis deal? I'd do it in a second.
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
BigSm00th
USA
7/1/2002  3:15 PM
It would be a slap in the face to McDyess since he said days ago he wants Sprewell to stay here. If Davis makes it clear he won't resign with the Hornets and the Knicks can offer a Thomas, Weatherspoon, Frank Williams, and second rounder, and a few million in cash, I can't see why the Hornets wouldn't do it. They get a point guard for the future, another big body in Thomas to add to their stellar forward line (and he could start over Traylor), a 2nd rounder and then $1 to 3 million to help in New Orleans. If they're going to lose Davis for nothing or get all of that, I think the Knicks could pull it off.

Obviously, the only one problem which I really don't care about since I'm happy seeing Dolan lose money is the Knicks would have 4 max contracts (Davis/Houston/Spree/McDyess) and would have to rely on the exception for like 6 years. Not that I care, with that starting five (if Clark is signed) you could sign great role players with the exception.

With a lineup of Davis, Houston, Sprewell, McDyess, Clark, I think that could easily contend with Eastern Conference and would put up a fight in the West. The Lakers got abused by a good point guard in Bibby and a great point who couldn't score in Kidd. If the Knicks, with that lineup, (I'm getting way to far ahead of myself) played a team like the Lakers in the Finals, Davis would run wild (he's a better point guard then Bibby, and Bibby killed the Lakers). Well, they need to sign Davis first, then I'll continue with my NBA Finals fantasy.

[Edited by - bigsm00th on 07/01/2002 15:20:07]
#Knickstaps
Vmart
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #247
USA
7/1/2002  3:24 PM
Posted by martin:
Posted by BigSm00th:

Wait, are you saying you wouldn't do a Spree for Davis deal? I'd do it in a second.

Thats a tough one Spree for Davis. I think if the Knicks are going to win a championship they need a player like Spree. Looking at match up if the Knicks are to get into the championship they need someone to guard these player, T-Mac, Peirce, Carter, AI and Kobe there is no way Houston keeps up with these guys for that reason it is difficult to give up their best defender in Spree. Davis is a very good point that can be had for something other than Spree. KT, Williams and future first rounder will do the trick to land Davis.

Miller if the Knicks are to try and get him they can offer KT and future first rounder since the Cavs are so worried about next years lottery they might take a KNicks pick considering that Dice has suspect knees and is integral to the Knicks making it to the playoffs.
HARDCOREKNICKSFAN
USA
7/1/2002  4:26 PM
Baron Davis just agreed to extend with the hornets.

http://espn.go.com/nba/news/2002/0701/1401071.html

Now it's really Van X or Andre. We may be OK without either one, though.
Another season, and more adversity to persevere through. We will get the job done, even BETTER than last year. GO KNICKS!
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
7/1/2002  5:29 PM

Baron Davis just agreed to extend with the hornets.

http://espn.go.com/nba/news/2002/0701/1401071.html

Now it's really Van X or Andre. We may be OK without either one, though.

Not really, he was offered a 6-year extention. If he does not accept, he will be a unrestricted free agent in 2 years.
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
BigSm00th
USA
7/1/2002  5:36 PM
If Davis rejects this I think it'll make him really tradeable. Simply put, the Hornets can't let their best player in the history of the franchise just walk without getting anything for him (didn't they already do this with Alonzo Mourning and LJ?) If he rejects a few draft picks, some cash, and a good player in a good contract situation (Thomas) might be enough to get Davis in NY.
#Knickstaps
HARDCOREKNICKSFAN
USA
7/1/2002  5:39 PM
Posted by BigSm00th:

If Davis rejects this I think it'll make him really tradeable. Simply put, the Hornets can't let their best player in the history of the franchise just walk without getting anything for him (didn't they already do this with Alonzo Mourning and LJ?) If he rejects a few draft picks, some cash, and a good player in a good contract situation (Thomas) might be enough to get Davis in NY.

Now you have my full 100% support for a deal like that. I'd do it in a millisecond.
BigSm00th
USA
7/1/2002  5:46 PM
I think it would have to be Frank Williams, Kurt Thomas, a 2003 first rounder, and 3 million in cash. Williams and his rookie contract (maybe around 3 million dollars/year), Thomas ($4 million a year), and $3 million in cash adds up to $10 million a year, which would probably equal a first year of a big contract extension.

The Hornets upgrade Thomas over Traylor, Williams as a point of the future, the cash to help for their new stadium, and two first rounders next year. If Davis doesn't want to stay there, that's a ton in return.
#Knickstaps
VG
Member: #68
Australia
7/1/2002  8:15 PM
I think we'd have to give up at least Sprewell for Baron Davis.
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
7/1/2002  8:37 PM
Posted by VG:

Doesn't matter now cuz Davis is locked up.
VG
Member: #68
Australia
7/2/2002  1:06 AM
Posted by Knixkik:
Posted by VG:

Doesn't matter now cuz Davis is locked up.

I heard the Hornets offered him the max but nothing can be signed till the 15th I think...
HARDCOREKNICKSFAN
USA
7/2/2002  1:43 AM
Midnight on the night of the 16th...
However, he had to have signed a type of Letter of Intent in order for ESPN to blow it up like that....
Why Van Exel?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy