[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Why Van Exel?
Author Thread
knickgeek
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #46
USA
6/28/2002  7:50 PM
We just got rid of Mark Jackson. We'll be lucky if we can get rid of Ward or Eisley; I doubt he can unload them both. Personally, I'd like to see Frank Williams get a chance. Why do we need another point guard? Do we need three?
AUTOADVERT
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
6/28/2002  8:29 PM
Posted by knickgeek:

We just got rid of Mark Jackson. We'll be lucky if we can get rid of Ward or Eisley; I doubt he can unload them both. Personally, I'd like to see Frank Williams get a chance. Why do we need another point guard? Do we need three?

correct. Why would we want another small pg with a HUGE contract that has shakey knees. Can you say Ward by any other name (albeit quicker for a couple more years)?
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
knixphan
Member: #258
Switzerland
6/28/2002  8:56 PM
ABSOLUTELY - Let's give the youngblood a shot!

Look at T.Parker 'Air France' in San ANtonio...whoda thunk, right?

Let's concentrate on the 'Vlade Factor' - someone who can at least let Shaq know he's there...

Cheers-
"I will dress in bright and cheery colors, and so throw my enemies into confusion."
BigSm00th
Member: #178
USA
6/28/2002  9:22 PM
But if Keon Clark was signed and a rookie like Cristofferson was brought in, Kurt Thomas wouldn't be needed so why not get Van Exel?
#Knickstaps
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
6/28/2002  9:40 PM
Posted by BigSm00th:

But if Keon Clark was signed and a rookie like Cristofferson was brought in, Kurt Thomas wouldn't be needed so why not get Van Exel?

Agreed. But first the egg, then the chicken.
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
6/28/2002  9:42 PM
Posted by BigSm00th:

Thats my opinion exactly. I think Van Exel is one of the better point guards in the league so we could use him. Frank Williams hopefully will be good, but will need time to develop. Van Exel could come in and give us 15 points and 7 assists nightly.
BigSm00th
USA
6/28/2002  10:13 PM
And VE is a guy who can step up at the end of the game and take the last shot, along with Spree, Houston, and even McDyess. 3 guys with the ability to step up in the clutch is big, but 4 is awesome. I can't think of any team in the NBA that can match that.
#Knickstaps
RonRon
Member: #246
6/29/2002  5:40 AM
4 who can be deadly and take over anytime? Can you say PORTLAND??

Pippen, Wallace, Damon, Bonzi, Derek Anderson, and the so called "ALL STAR" SHAWN KEMP!!!!
you tell me if there team is any good, I think they are garbage.
I wouldnt really want to change the chemistry too much; the addition of a fine low post player and the subtraction of Mark Jackson's incapabilities on the defensive end will really be excellent. Dont forget NY lost MANY games this season in the last 2 minutes. Would it really have happened if a low post player give them another option to score? I dont believe so, with that said; I believe we need to add the rebounding and defense lost in Camby and we should be on our way back in the playoffs.
I would also like to see Allan Houston step up and guard the small forwards, working on his defensive skills this summer. With his size, compared to Spree, he should be able to guard bigger and stronger guys that Spree is forced to guard EVERYNIGHT! He can hopefully hold his own ground a bit, because I believe Spree can hold his own, guarding a SG.
If he doesnt improve his defense , I would like to see Weatherspoon and Anderson come in and play more than last season, limiting the 100million dollar man, for the benefit of the team. Dont forget Clarence Weatherspoon averaged a double double, with points and rebounds 2 seasons ago with Cleveland. Can he become an asset at sm instead of the liability he has become at pf?
BigSm00th
USA
6/29/2002  10:44 AM
Portland is a unique case because every player you menioned is a headcase. There are so many conflicting personalities on that team that they're bound to fail. And this last year Pippen proved he wasn't clutch (missed the free throw, poor inbounds pass against LAL), Kemp isn't even in the final two minutes of games because he's in such poor shape, so that leaves Bonzi, Derek, and Damon.

I think if the Knicks had a guy to go to in McDyess at the end of games, teams will definitely double team him, and since he's great at passin out of double teams, the ability to have Spree, VE, and Houston to pass out to would be really nice. I agree with you though, Spoon and Anderson have to become solid contributors and hopefully Spree and Houston can switc on and off on who guards the small forward.
#Knickstaps
HARDCOREKNICKSFAN
Alba Posts: 28
Member: #263
USA
6/29/2002  3:17 PM
Personally, I would prefer a younger, purer, pass-first PG like Andre Miller. He was the assist leader last year. Imagine his numbers having three all-stars to dish to! All they need to do after that is sign Keon...

Also, trading Charlie Ward & Kurt Thomas (although the numbers work capwise) is too much to give for just a PG in return- we are short enough already.

Another season, and more adversity to persevere through. We will get the job done, even BETTER than last year. GO KNICKS!
BigSm00th
USA
6/29/2002  3:44 PM
I would love Miller, but assuming he is signed to a max contract, what do you give up for him? I just can't see something like that happening, and if Clark and another big man (maybe Nazr Mohammed or an undrafted rookie like Kei Madison or Chris Cristofferson) are signed, then Thomas isn't needed. To upgrade point would be great.

Last year Van Exel averaged 18.8 ppg and 6.6 apg, along with 3.5 rpg. With Houston and Spree both putting up 20, and Dyess 22, that could be an incredible front line, not to mention all the putbacks Clark would get. VE's ppg would go down a tad, but his apg would go up. For those of you that say VE won't pass, just look at year's where he's had decent players to pass to. 96-97 for LAL he averaged 8.5 and 99-00 in Denver (also McDyess's best year), he averaged 9 assists.

The Knicks might be able to get a 2003 1st or 2nd rounder out of this, because Ward's contract is up soon and Thomas is a defensive forward the Mavs need while Van Exel still has time left on his contract.

Knicks are a top 2 seed in the East because they'd win the Atlantic with a lineup of Van Exel, Houston, Sprewell, McDyess, Clark.
#Knickstaps
HARDCOREKNICKSFAN
USA
6/30/2002  6:24 AM
It would be possible to trade Kurt for Andre Miller and a throw-in, like Bibmo Coles... The RealGM checker # is 655917 (accepted), and is pretty fair.

BTW, this is assuming we sign (or trade other players outside of the core group for) a solid center, leaving the 1 the only necessary spot to fill @ that point...(pun intended)
Another season, and more adversity to persevere through. We will get the job done, even BETTER than last year. GO KNICKS!
HARDCOREKNICKSFAN
USA
6/30/2002  9:14 AM
Another possible trade for Andre Miller:

Andre Miler + DeSagana Diop for Kurt...(RealGM #655943)
Kurt is not only the best fit numbers-wise for this deal, it's the most balanced move as far as what the Cavs may take. Plus, this young kid Diop is a BIG body (7'0", and 300 lbs) but I know Doleac and Skinner who play backup @ the 5 for them are free agents- this is considering one of them are signed. Then we can STILL sign Keon and/or make more trades (of & for role players) and all our weak positions would be strengthened.

[Edited by - HARDCOREKNICKSFAN on 06/30/2002 09:15:59]
ATLKnick
Member: #273
USA
6/30/2002  9:23 AM
I read yesterday(NBA Insider I think) that Paxson said he would not re sign either of them, but it would be a nice move if we could swing it.
Old School Knick Fan
MCfan23
Member: #114
USA
6/30/2002  9:44 AM
Who says Dallas is so willing to give up NVE? He played well for them coming off the bench and he fits well into their system, where anything that hits the rim is thought to be a good shot.

And who would we trade to them to get him anyway? The Mavs showed by trading Juwan Howard that they don't really want a low-post option, so I doubt they would think about taking Kurt Thomas. He doesn't shoot five 3's a game so they won't be interested. And he wouldn't be as effective out West anyway, having to go up against the likes of Duncan, Webber and Brand on a regular basis.

Who else do we have? Houston isn't going anywhere. Dice has already laid down the law about Sprewell. The Mavericks won't want Eisely back and although Cuban likes big contracts, not even he would be tempted by Charlie Ward, Tavis Knight or anyone else you care to mention. And the only thing that Shandon Anderson is good at is building houses...
We suck.
WOODMANnYk
Member: #529
USA
6/30/2002  5:53 PM
I totally agree about why bring in another PG. We need to remove eisley's contract and eventually give the starting pg duties to Frank williams. Charlie ward s/b on the team as a backup and 2yrs left on contract
The Future. GO KNICKS!
HARDCOREKNICKSFAN
USA
6/30/2002  6:28 PM
Why bother with Nick the Quick when Baron "Too Easy" Davis has already expressed interest in playing in NY? (specifically, he said New York or Chicago) He has enough upside to blow Nick entirely off the Knicks radar, and rightfully so.
...and that's if a top PG is even necessary at this point...

McDyess is becoming a good recruiter already...!

[Edited by - HARDCOREKNICKSFAN on 06/30/2002 18:30:04]
VG
Member: #68
Australia
7/1/2002  6:21 AM
Speaking of point-guards, Layden is apparently gonna try get Troy Hudson...
prowler
Member: #135
USA
7/1/2002  10:39 AM
Having Baron 'Too Easy' Davis is very intriguing but the big question is who do we have to give up to get him?
knicker for life
Vmart
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #247
USA
7/1/2002  10:44 AM
Posted by prowler:

Having Baron 'Too Easy' Davis is very intriguing but the big question is who do we have to give up to get him?

Frank Williams, KT, Spoon and future picks. I think the Knicks can put together a solid offer to the Hornets. They have Wesley to take over the point and the have Alexander in the back court. The Knicks can offer a package to the Hornet that consists of KT, Williams and future picks. I think the Hornets would entertain the offer.
Why Van Exel?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy