[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Hilario over Wilcox
Author Thread
BigSm00th
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #178
USA
6/18/2002  4:00 PM
Though I agree with you and the Knicks not wanting to deal with that, Dolan could pay out $14,000 (which is how much Hilario got paid last year) in cash. The guy's richer then God. But still, if it's a contract dispute vs. a guy who doesn't have one, I'd say they pick Wilcox.
#Knickstaps
AUTOADVERT
OasisBU
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #257
USA
6/18/2002  4:37 PM
Well the Knicks need athleticism, that is addressed by either player. They need size, Hilario addresses that a little better but he is also foreign and more of a risk. Personally from what I have read/seen in the players coming out in the draft I think Hilario and Wilcox are 2 of the best options. Gooden is talented but he is really skinny. A PF should have some size to him for added durability (hopefully) - we found that out with Camby. Either choice would be great for the Knicks.

Does anyone know about Hilarios presence in the post? We need a post up game and I think Wilcox brings that to the table. Without it, Houston and Spree will continue to get killed by the defense. No matter what - Camby at center is not going to get it done this year. So even if we get a solid PF a trade has to happen to get us a REAL big man. Camby wont last if he has to start at center. I have heard some interesting thuoghts about getting another pick in this draft ebcause there are some decent big men, that is a great idea - but it doesnt seem like it could happen.
"If at first you don't succeed, then maybe you just SUCK." Kenny Powers
Vmart
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #247
USA
6/18/2002  5:08 PM
Posted by Knixkik:

The latest concern with Hilario is his contract situation with Vasco da Gama, his Brazilian team. For whoever drafts him, a buyout would likely have to be arranged or the team will be without him until the contract expires. If this gets cleared up in the next week or so it won't be a concern, but New York won't want to deal with this so they'll just go with Wilcox no matter what.

For some reason it doesn't sound like the Knicks care to much about contract situations. The Knicks are willing to deal with a communist government but not the Vasco Da gamo team that Hilario plays with. I think the Knicks will easily buy out the contract. From what I hear the Brazilian team has been having trouble financially so any positive amount of money will probably be welcomed.
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
6/18/2002  10:01 PM
For some reason it doesn't sound like the Knicks care to much about contract situations. The Knicks are willing to deal with a communist government but not the Vasco Da gamo team that Hilario plays with. I think the Knicks will easily buy out the contract. From what I hear the Brazilian team has been having trouble financially so any positive amount of money will probably be welcomed.
The Knicks wouldn't hesitate in working out buyout deals, but they're still no guarentee he's able to come over right away. Why go through all the trouble if you're getting a player just as good or better with no problems to work out. They draft Wilcox and thats the end of the story. They draft Hilario, and things still aren't settled.
VG
Member: #68
Australia
6/18/2002  11:43 PM
Posted by Knixkik:

The Knicks wouldn't hesitate in working out buyout deals, but they're still no guarentee he's able to come over right away. Why go through all the trouble if you're getting a player just as good or better with no problems to work out. They draft Wilcox and thats the end of the story. They draft Hilario, and things still aren't settled.

But like other posters have said the amount of money for a buyout deal is very insignificant by american standard. I bet you they'd be more than happy with $30,000. Hilario has been working out in Cleveland since March so it's quite clear to me that there is not so many hassles as you think there are. Hilario is bigger and stronger I think he has more potential than Wilcox (especially defensively).
knicksbabyyeah
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #100
Netherlands
6/19/2002  6:55 AM
http://www.insidehoops.com/nba061802.shtml

-- One NBA scout told me that junior college sensation Qyntel Woods "has no idea how to play basketball." The scout said that Woods has been compared to Orlando's Tracy McGrady, "and Woods does have that type of athleticism."

But?

"But he is lost when it comes to the very basics of the game," the scout said. Then he added this: "The sad part it, the NBA is filled with guys like Woods, great athletes with no concept how to play or win. (Sacramento's) Gerald Wallace comes to mind."

-- The scout also had this to say about Maryland forward Chris Wilcox: "Somebody is gonna use a lottery pick on him, and that somebody is really gonna regret it. Wilcox just won't be a very good NBA player."

Now I'll have to admit I'm alot more interested in Nene, Wagner and Nikoloz but to call Wilcox a potential bust is beyond me. I'm am heavily hoping against odds that the 7th pick will be Nene though.

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/nuggets/article/0,1299,DRMN_20_1214753,00.html

Hilario's hands swallow the basketball, and he has the body of a prototypical power forward. His speed and athleticism rival those of many smaller, and supposedly, more agile men.

"He's awesome," said Stanford University center Curtis Borchardt, who also worked out for the Nuggets on Monday. "Quick. Strong. A little bit raw. The guy works hard and has a good attitude. He's going to be a good player."

"He's a beast," California center Jamal Sampson said. "They will know about him real soon. He would have been a top-five pick if he played college basketball."

I rest my case, Nene could be all that and then some.
knicksbabyyeah
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #100
Netherlands
6/19/2002  6:59 AM
But like other posters have said the amount of money for a buyout deal is very insignificant by american standard. I bet you they'd be more than happy with $30,000. Hilario has been working out in Cleveland since March so it's quite clear to me that there is not so many hassles as you think there are. Hilario is bigger and stronger I think he has more potential than Wilcox (especially defensively).

That buyout thing is intrigueing. The early word was that there were no real contract issues since it's in the contract that if Nene isn't paid the contract is void. However Nene skipped to Cleveland instead of complying to the lousy deal from Vasco da Gama to workout in cleveland preparing for workouts. I think Vasco is indeed trying to squeeze out all the money they can and since the max buyout a NBA team can give is $350,000 they'll happily take that.
UKDad
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #31
USA
6/19/2002  8:27 AM
We gotta go with NENE.... I just don't see Wilcox as being the MAN here, and Nene is a MVP candidate in 3 to 5 years.
The Old Man of UK...
BigSm00th
USA
6/19/2002  12:09 PM
I agree with Nene. I think Wilcox will develop into a Derrick Coleman/Kurt Thomas type of player who averages like 15 points and 9 or 10 boards, where I see Nene as being a guy who could average 2o to 22 points once he gets himself adjusted, come in the top 5 in rebounding with 14 or 15 a game, and then have 2 or 3 blocks. That is if he plays power forward. Those numbers will be slightly lower if he is forced to defend and go up against centers.
#Knickstaps
Caseloads
Member: #41
6/19/2002  2:50 PM
Posted by BigSm00th:

I agree with Nene. I think Wilcox will develop into a Derrick Coleman/Kurt Thomas type of player who averages like 15 points and 9 or 10 boards, where I see Nene as being a guy who could average 2o to 22 points once he gets himself adjusted, come in the top 5 in rebounding with 14 or 15 a game, and then have 2 or 3 blocks. That is if he plays power forward. Those numbers will be slightly lower if he is forced to defend and go up against centers.
nene - better pick.
i can see wilcox becoming a thomas or theo ratliff clone.
BigSm00th
USA
6/19/2002  3:28 PM
Even if Hilario has to stay another year in Brazil, it'd be better for both parties. The Knicks, banking on another Camby injury, would do terrible, play themselves into the lottery, at which point convincing Dolan to fire Layden, trade Spree and Camby, and start over. Hilario could play another year in Brazil, Dolan could give some "funds" to the coach/management and have the Vasco da Gama team just run right through Nene. It'd be great, he'd improve, then the Knicks would have 2 rookies in 2003.
#Knickstaps
OasisBU
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #257
USA
6/20/2002  2:10 PM
My prediction is Knicks take Wilcox, if anything they will do it just because he is guranteed to play next season (unless he is injured). Nene is a risk, unproven, sounds like a great addition though. I still see them taking Wilcox if he is there. However I do think they should trade to secure another pick and take Nene..but that is just a dream at this point.
"If at first you don't succeed, then maybe you just SUCK." Kenny Powers
Vmart
USA
6/20/2002  2:33 PM
Posted by OasisBU:

My prediction is Knicks take Wilcox, if anything they will do it just because he is guranteed to play next season (unless he is injured). Nene is a risk, unproven, sounds like a great addition though. I still see them taking Wilcox if he is there. However I do think they should trade to secure another pick and take Nene..but that is just a dream at this point.

Only thing that is proven in the draft is that someone is going to be drafted that is about it. Wilcox is just as unproven to me as Hilario if not more than Hilario. Hilario has atleast logged minutes against pro competition in the Good Will Games its 20 minutes to 0 minutes. Has Wilcox gone head to head with Jermaine O'neal No he hasn't. So when someone says Hilario is unproven they are wrong its Wilcox that is unproven. He hasn't score a point against an NBA player to date.

If the Knicks take Wilcox it will be another mistake in their history of draft mistakes. I have seen Wilcox play he showed me nothing that says he sould be taken in the lottery if anything he is at best 12-18 pick.
BigSm00th
USA
6/20/2002  2:59 PM
Twenty minutes versus zero minutes is a stupid comparison. It was 20 minutes. It takes me twenty minutes to go the bathroom after school, it's nothing. Wilcox played against the best the NCAA could offer in front of a national audience. Both are unproven, there is no way in telling who is going to be the better pro, who will get hurt, etc. There's just no way you can do that.
#Knickstaps
Vmart
USA
6/20/2002  3:35 PM
Posted by BigSm00th:

Twenty minutes versus zero minutes is a stupid comparison. It was 20 minutes. It takes me twenty minutes to go the bathroom after school, it's nothing. Wilcox played against the best the NCAA could offer in front of a national audience. Both are unproven, there is no way in telling who is going to be the better pro, who will get hurt, etc. There's just no way you can do that.

The NCAA doesn't carry the same weight it did in the 80's have you forgotten that. NCAA is waterdown at best all the talent leaves or the don't even go, they aren't that good to be thinking them as high basketball competition. Sure you get a few that become stars in the league but the fact is NCAA can't compete against most PRO league of other countries. The Pro leagues have passed them by. Thats why they don't send NCAA players to the Olympics anymore.

As far as 20 minutes to 0 minutes let me make it 1 game to 0 games.
Caseloads
Member: #41
6/20/2002  4:42 PM
Posted by Vmart:
Posted by BigSm00th:

The NCAA doesn't carry the same weight it did in the 80's have you forgotten that. NCAA is waterdown at best all the talent leaves or the don't even go, they aren't that good to be thinking them as high basketball competition. Sure you get a few that become stars in the league but the fact is NCAA can't compete against most PRO league of other countries. The Pro leagues have passed them by. Thats why they don't send NCAA players to the Olympics anymore.

As far as 20 minutes to 0 minutes let me make it 1 game to 0 games.
exactly, that's why so many internationals are in the draft (not being sarcastic).

[Edited by - caseloads on 06/20/2002 16:45:14]
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
6/20/2002  4:48 PM
In Hilario's workouts he seemed to have put on some very nice shows, however, in Wilcox's three workout he was completely spectacular and breath-taking in each one. Both players are easily comparable, but i don't think people are even using them in the same sentence anymore. I like Nene a lot, but Wilcox just seems that much better.
Vmart
USA
6/20/2002  5:02 PM
Posted by Knixkik:

In Hilario's workouts he seemed to have put on some very nice shows, however, in Wilcox's three workout he was completely spectacular and breath-taking in each one. Both players are easily comparable, but i don't think people are even using them in the same sentence anymore. I like Nene a lot, but Wilcox just seems that much better.

It was a structured workout that was made to show case Wilcox in the best way. They were having non contact drills. His competition in the work out Collins (High Schooler) and Ely who is low first rounder a possible second rounder at best.

The Knicks made a mistake they should have called all three top PF Gooden, Wilcox and Hilario and put them up against each other that way they would have come out with the right decision and that I know would be Hilario he would have simply overpowered the two. Their unwillingness to show case their talent head on only makes Nene the obvious choice.
Andrew
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1
USA
6/20/2002  5:08 PM
Agents of the top picks would never allow this. There is no way they would put their player in the position where he could dramatically hurt his stock. This is why that Christofferson (sp) dude is getting to work out for teams so much....he is a stiff that other players will look good against.
Posted by Vmart:

The Knicks made a mistake they should have called all three top PF Gooden, Wilcox and Hilario and put them up against each other that way they would have come out with the right decision and that I know would be Hilario he would have simply overpowered the two. Their unwillingness to show case their talent head on only makes Nene the obvious choice.
PURE KNICKS LOVE
VG
Member: #68
Australia
6/20/2002  9:50 PM
Posted by Andrew:

Agents of the top picks would never allow this. There is no way they would put their player in the position where he could dramatically hurt his stock. This is why that Christofferson (sp) dude is getting to work out for teams so much....he is a stiff that other players will look good against.
Posted by Vmart:

Good point Andrew. I definitely think Hilario would be too good for Wilcox. As someone else stated, Wilcox's workouts hae been impressive because they were made to stand him out.
Hilario over Wilcox

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy