[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Hilario over Wilcox
Author Thread
Vmart
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #247
USA
6/17/2002  11:08 AM
The Knicks should be smart and take Hilario over Wilcox. I like Wilcox but I think he doesn't address the needs of the Knicks. The Knicks have Spoon, Harrington, Thomas and Camby they are all powerforwards. Like it or not Camby is no center although he has flashes against some centers who are out of position too. Thats where Hilario comes in he allows Camby to go back to the PF position Camby when healthy is a good player a high flyer. What Hilario also does is he lets the Knicks deal away some of the other PF the Knicks have as he can play PF too. Wilcox on the other hand is maybe a little more athletic than Hilario but Hilario has something that Wilcox doesn't have and thats Size. At 6'10 3/4'' and 253lbs he has the edge on Wilcox. Wilcox is small compared to Hilario and some reports have Wilcox moving over to not the center position but to the SF position. With that said I would take Hilario as he can play where the Knicks need the most help and thats center and PF position.

[Edited by - Vmart on 06/17/2002 11:25:46]
AUTOADVERT
UKDad
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #31
USA
6/17/2002  11:33 AM
Gotto agree here. Nene also is probably a better free throw shooter than Wilcox. Would not want someone who should be picking up fouls not be able to capitalize on that.

Nene would give the Knicks more options.
The Old Man of UK...
LJ2
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #239
USA
6/17/2002  11:53 AM
Posted by Vmart:

The Knicks should be smart and take Hilario over Wilcox. I like Wilcox but I think he doesn't address the needs of the Knicks. The Knicks have Spoon, Harrington, Thomas and Camby they are all powerforwards. Like it or not Camby is no center although he has flashes against some centers who are out of position too. Thats where Hilario comes in he allows Camby to go back to the PF position Camby when healthy is a good player a high flyer. What Hilario also does is he lets the Knicks deal away some of the other PF the Knicks have as he can play PF too. Wilcox on the other hand is maybe a little more athletic than Hilario but Hilario has something that Wilcox doesn't have and thats Size. At 6'10 3/4'' and 253lbs he has the edge on Wilcox. Wilcox is small compared to Hilario and some reports have Wilcox moving over to not the center position but to the SF position. With that said I would take Hilario as he can play where the Knicks need the most help and thats center and PF position.

With that said, and knowing that Knick brass has a recent history of doing the opposite of what common sense tells them to do, they'll draft Wilcox.
BigSm00th
Member: #178
USA
6/17/2002  12:53 PM
Wilcox is more of a sure thing, and free throws can be taught, look at Shaq. My thing with Hilario is everyone is saying he can play center. Well, Marcus Camby can play center too, but they're both power forwards. If the Knicks want a center, they'll draft Borchardt. Because they have an absolute mediocre at best power forward core of Camby, Thomas, and Harrington, that shouldn't prevent them from picking Wilcox.
#Knickstaps
Vmart
USA
6/17/2002  1:10 PM
Posted by BigSm00th:

Wilcox is more of a sure thing, and free throws can be taught, look at Shaq. My thing with Hilario is everyone is saying he can play center. Well, Marcus Camby can play center too, but they're both power forwards. If the Knicks want a center, they'll draft Borchardt. Because they have an absolute mediocre at best power forward core of Camby, Thomas, and Harrington, that shouldn't prevent them from picking Wilcox.

How is Wilcox more of a sure thing. If anything Hilario is more of a sure thing he has played against the pros at the Good will games. Where Wilcox has only show cased his abilities against College players and most recently a high School player in his Tryout. As far as Hilario playing center the man is only 19 so he can be taught to play that position and be effective because he has good height and weight.
BigSm00th
USA
6/17/2002  1:47 PM
Hilario has played well for 20 minutes. He's played in one game! Please, Wilcox has played at the top basketball program in the country for two years, has better coaching, is definitely going to play in the league next year, and is also 19. Who cares how young he is, if he's played power forward he's a power forward. Camby was 20 or 21 when he came in and hes a power forward. It's more then learning to play it, he's just not big enough.
#Knickstaps
Vmart
USA
6/17/2002  2:00 PM
Posted by BigSm00th:

Hilario has played well for 20 minutes. He's played in one game! Please, Wilcox has played at the top basketball program in the country for two years, has better coaching, is definitely going to play in the league next year, and is also 19. Who cares how young he is, if he's played power forward he's a power forward. Camby was 20 or 21 when he came in and hes a power forward. It's more then learning to play it, he's just not big enough.

Duke has been the top program for the last 10 years what have they produced in that span Brand and Hill. That top program thing proves nothing, all it says is that they hord most of the talent to win. I'm sorry but it really is hard for me to imagine Wilcox being great player a good player maybe but great I have seen him play and I wasn't impressed with his play. Its not like he dominated like a Hakeem, Ewing, Danny Manning, LJ or even a Joe Smith.
BigSm00th
USA
6/17/2002  2:19 PM
True, you make good points, I'm just afraid of foreign players ever since the Knicks drafted Freddy Weis.
#Knickstaps
Caseloads
Member: #41
6/17/2002  2:24 PM
Posted by Vmart:

No where has it said wilcox will be a SF - this is SIMPLY NOT TRUE.
BigSm00th
USA
6/17/2002  2:35 PM
Yeah, and the guy isn't a small, fragile girl like Camby. He's a built 6 foot 10, Camby is a tall, skinn 6 11 with a high center of gravity. Wilcox isn't going to be out for extended periods with some sort of Camby-esque injury, the guy isn't that bad.
#Knickstaps
Vmart
USA
6/17/2002  3:14 PM
Posted by Caseloads:
Posted by Vmart:

No where has it said wilcox will be a SF - this is SIMPLY NOT TRUE.

Actually I did read it But I am not sure exactly where I read it. But I assure you an anylyst wrote that.
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
6/17/2002  3:26 PM
Nene definitely addresses our needs better, being able to play some center, but when it comes down to it, Wilcox will be just too good to pass up if he's still on the board.
Caseloads
6/17/2002  3:54 PM
Posted by Knixkik:

Nene definitely addresses our needs better, being able to play some center, but when it comes down to it, Wilcox will be just too good to pass up if he's still on the board.
i wonder if we can trade allan houston or spree to memphis for lorenzen wright and junk...
knicksbabyyeah
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #100
Netherlands
6/17/2002  4:01 PM
It was that MSG article that quoted Layden or Chaney that Wilcox could slide over to the three in a couple of years. He's athletic and quick enough to handle that position and it seems he's really been working on his jumpshot. Apparently Gary didn't want Wilcox to make perimeter shots but Wilcox does have the ability to do so (although not yet on a high percentage).
Vmart
USA
6/17/2002  4:22 PM
Posted by knicksbabyyeah:

It was that MSG article that quoted Layden or Chaney that Wilcox could slide over to the three in a couple of years. He's athletic and quick enough to handle that position and it seems he's really been working on his jumpshot. Apparently Gary didn't want Wilcox to make perimeter shots but Wilcox does have the ability to do so (although not yet on a high percentage).

Thanks knicksbabyyeah,

Caseloads
6/17/2002  4:24 PM
Posted by knicksbabyyeah:

those guys are pure jokers.
BigSm00th
USA
6/17/2002  4:28 PM
Yeah, really. I bet Layden rode the little bus to school in Utah, this guy is from another planet.
#Knickstaps
Caseloads
6/17/2002  6:29 PM
Posted by BigSm00th:

Yeah, really. I bet Layden rode the little bus to school in Utah, this guy is from another planet.
chuckle...
bigboymumu
Member: #251
6/17/2002  6:33 PM
I like both players. The Knicks would prosper with both. They are both that talented. But, when choosing between two players that are almost equal, I think you go with the center. Nene is my choice!
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
6/18/2002  3:33 PM
The latest concern with Hilario is his contract situation with Vasco da Gama, his Brazilian team. For whoever drafts him, a buyout would likely have to be arranged or the team will be without him until the contract expires. If this gets cleared up in the next week or so it won't be a concern, but New York won't want to deal with this so they'll just go with Wilcox no matter what.
Hilario over Wilcox

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy